Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

My stairway photo gallery

Sueb20
12 years ago

I know people sometimes like to see treatments of photo walls, so thought I'd share my recent project. I put this off for sooo long because I dreaded the work involved in hanging these pics, but I finally got it done! Previously I had just a few pics hanging along the stairway, and on the opposite wall in the foyer, I had a mishmash of random pics in an eclectic "gallery." I cleaned up the mishmash on the opposite wall and bought a ton of coordinating frames for the stairway. Much of my home is mis-matched and eclectic, but sometimes you just gotta have a little bit of matchiness...

Comments (23)

• ttodd
    12 years ago

Looks wonderful!

• Lyban zone 4
    12 years ago

That is very nicely done.
    Good Job

• hhireno
    12 years ago

Wow, very impressive.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    12 years ago

They were from Pottery Barn. Expensive, but I used my Amex rewards points to buy a PB gift card, so they were "free"! I wanted frames that were dark brown (we have a dark brown antique church pew in the foyer) with OFF-white mats, and that particular combo wasn't easy to find.

• kristinekr
    12 years ago

that looks great!!! It must have taken some time to figure out the layout--it really flows well.

Did you do anything special when hanging the pictures? I am a little neurotic, so worry about a frame getting bumped and falling.

• luckygal
    12 years ago

Very nicely done and a wonderful personal gallery your entire family will enjoy!

• katrina_ellen
    12 years ago

Wow, that is a lot of work but well worth it not only for looks for the enjoyment everyone will get looking at the photos!

• Bethpen
    12 years ago

Looks great Sue! You have been very busy lately. :)

(I did the same thing with my amex points to get the towels I wanted at RH. Takes a little of the sting out)

Beth P.

• victoriajane
    12 years ago

Looks great. If I have leftover photos from the dining room gallery I would like to do a stairway gallery as well. Or maybe I'll use contemporary photos of my immediate family in color for the stairway. I also kind of dread starting the project because of the work involved in getting the layout right. I know to cut out paper in the dimensions of the frames and hang them first. But there is still an awful lot of measuring involved! Did you use a level?

• mahatmacat1
    12 years ago

sue, that's just wonderful. Love the flow of the various sizes/shapes. Must have been fun to arrange : )

• blubird
    12 years ago

I've had a gallery wall like sueb20 for many years. I recently improved on mine by re-hanging all the pix with the Command picture hanging strips rather than nails. No longer do I straighten every picture each time I go up and down the steps. No longer does the dog's big tail constantly move the pictures or knock them down from the wall. Now I can easily dust the pictures without having to relevel them each time.

The Command strips are a bit of a pain to use, as you only get one chance to put the backing strips in the right location, but you can shift the pictures slightly to level them before hanging, because they are a 2 part strip with Velcro. They're also quite a bit more expensive than picture hangers or nails. Unfortunately my Michaels doesn't seem to carry many of the picture hanging strips, especially in the larger sizes so I can't buy most of them with a coupon; Target and Home Depot seem to carry a decent selection.

Next I have to redo the upstairs wall gallery with the strips.

Helene

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The larger frames had two hangers in the back, so they're impossible to "jostle" when you walk by. Also, a bigger pain to hang! These frames are quite heavy so they don't tend to move around like some of the cheaper/lighter weight frames do.

I didn't agonize too much over the arrangement. I started with one at about the midpoint of the stairs, hung at my eye level. Then my rough guideline was to place them about 3.5" apart at at least one spot. Hard to explain but all the pics have that distance from at least ONE side of the frame.

Fortunately my kids are old enough now that they don't have that need to touch the wall on the way up the stairs like they used to!

• oceanna
    12 years ago

Oh, that looks amazing, Sue! I think that's one of the best ones I've ever seen. I also love your stair runner and the little stairstep basket. What do you use the basket for?

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Looks absolutely wonderful. When you mentioned it in another post recently, I was hoping you would post pics. Thanks!

• nancybee_2010
    12 years ago

Really nice! I love the runner too- so pretty. And the little pink heart is a nice touch.

• dawnp
    12 years ago

Sue,

You have inspired me! I love how you used the brown frames.

Did you choose the pictures first or buy enough frames to fill the area and then put the pictures in them? It seems like a daunting task to go through all my photos and choose which ones to frame. My kids are 20, 18, and 16 now.

Really great job. It will be so interesting to your guests.

Dawn

• jlc712
    12 years ago

You did a beautiful job! I bet you will enjoy walking by it everyday. I love family photos, and love the idea of everyone being able to enjoy them when they are displayed in such a nice way.

I am planning a similar project for our blah back stairway. Thanks for the motivation!

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oceanna, we used to have 3 baskets, one for each kid, along the stairs, where we could throw stuff that was to go up to their rooms (like an errant sock from the living room floor...). But they never really used them. So I went down to one, theoretically for a similar purpose. What happens is, someone puts something in the basket and it might stay there for 6 months until Mom finally does something with it. So I guess the short answer is: the basket serves no purpose whatsoever.

dawnp, I had a lot of photos that I had taken out of other frames, and a few more recent ones that I had enlarged. Then I picked my favorites, because I didn't have enough wall space for all the pictures! (I also bought way too many frames, but that's another story -- trying to find a wall downstairs to use the rest!) I used a lot of pictures from our vacations. No formal school pics except for one of each kid from when they were very little. And I sprinkled in a few b&w oldies, like our parents' wedding photos. Of course I made sure each child was equally represented!

Thank you everyone!!

• deeinohio
    12 years ago

Sue:
    It looks fab-u-lous! Reminds me of the beautiful stairway picture wall on Brothers and Sisters.
    Dee

• nostalgicfarm
    12 years ago

Beautiful!

• dawnp
    12 years ago

Thanks Sue. That helps a lot.

• IdaClaire
    12 years ago

Fabulous, Sue! I love it!