Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
holly_kurtz

video how to fold a fitted sheet

Holly- Kay
9 years ago

I have to admit that folding a fitted sheet has always given me fits. I saw this on fb and wanted to share.

Here is a link that might be useful: folding a fitted sheet

Comments (23)

• jlj48
    9 years ago

Wow. It actually doesn't look that hard! Thanks for sharing. Mine always look like the unfolded one :)

• patricianat
    9 years ago

My mother showed me how to do that when i was a young bride. She accompanied me to the laundromat the first time to help me get the hang of it. In my prechildren years, I taught many how to fold fitted sheets at home and at the laundromat, and after the children, I hardly had time to fold my own. ;-)

• romy718
    9 years ago

I had given up on folding them in any organized way. Very helpful, thank you.

• lorichats
    9 years ago

Very interesting...but I have no patience to fold sheets. I guess my method is to wash the sheets and put them right back on the bed!!! It does work!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

That's similar to how we do it though we usually get 2 corners together and then the other 2 and then make the 4 corners together...her way looks even easier.

• hoosierbred
    9 years ago

Annie, that's how I've always done ours. I agree, her way does look easier. I'll have to try it! Thanks for posting!

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I had to laugh...."one of the biggest challenges you'll face in life is how to fold a fitted sheet." Really? If only!

I've always tucked two ends into the other two ends, but still not as neat as her way...will give it a try. Thanks!

• cozyplace
    9 years ago

Wow...she makes it look so easy!!! I am going to my linen closet to give this a try.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cozy, I have already tried and she makes it look easy but I will be darned if I can get the hang of it. I have always folded the way Annie describes but this looked so neat and easy. If I had someone right here showing me step by step maybe I could master it

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

Cool video and a little bit different way than I've used in the past. I'll have to try that way. Of course, I suspect when you are trying to fold a queen or king sized sheet, it will be a bit more difficult than depicted. Then, add the fact that I'm height challenged with proportionately short arms and I may have a problem...LOL!

• bbstx
    9 years ago

That is how I've always done it. However, I have new sheets that have elastic all the way around - like a shower cap, but with corners. For the life of me, I cannot get them to fold flat and neatly. Messily folded linens make me feel as if my house is messy!

Any tips on folding sheets with elastic all the way around?

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

Mom showed me many years ago when clothes used to be hung out on the line~wayyyyy back when! It's not exactly like the video, but neat nevertheless, and stacksable w/other sheets, that's what really counts.

Love looking in the linen closet where everything is folded neatly. It's one of my pet peeves when things are a mess! My 2 sons and one DD take after me. The other 2 DD's are too busy with kids, so they tell me.

• sundance510
    9 years ago

I think I'm going to keep pretending that the only option for fitted sheets is to make a half-hearted attempt to fold it followed by a quick tucking/rolling maneuver in an effort to make it look neater. The life of a twenty-something nursing student and wife!

• thankurnmo
    9 years ago

I have seen this before and got inspired to try it for the umpteenth time. It is definitely a good video, but I am definitely challenged with the queen sheets. I will practice. Thank you for sharing it. (but again notice how they did it with the ::eaiser" twin sheet and just said an additional fold for the queen/.king.
    I guess I just have to deal with my fine motor challenged self.

• texanjana
    9 years ago

My mom taught me how to fold fitted sheets eons ago, and I have never found it difficult. Getting my kids to do it on the other hand....they used to just wad them and throw them in the linen closet, despite being taught my mom's method. Oh well. they are all on their own now so it's not my problem anymore!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Of course sheets are always easier to fold when you have a 2nd person helping....

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The video is great and she has the method down pat but I am totally confused with getting the corners in one spot. I doesn't help that I am short and my arms aren't long.

• runninginplace
    9 years ago

I've done it exactly like the video for years, I think I learned from a Martha Stewart video. It really is easy-even for large sizes (I've got a king mattress and used to fold my kids' queen size sheets too).

What I've found makes the easiest path to a smoothly packaged sheet is to get the four corners tucked into each other, and then I place the sheet on the bed for my work surface to adjust and fold. Much easier to do it that way with large/bulky sheets. And I also like a neat stack of bed linens in the closet, I even have my sheet sizes labeled on the shelf , which I did using my Martha label maker of course ;).

Happy folding!
    Ann

• bpath
    9 years ago

I do it Annie's way, learned it from Martha Stewart 39 years ago and even taught my mom LOL...now, though, I use Hints from Heloise's dad's method: put the sheets right back on the bed from the dryer!

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bpathome, I used that method for many years. It definitely is the easiest route but I have a lot of sheets and want them to store better.

• bpath
    9 years ago

Right, holly-Kay, having de cluttered my linen closet so I can keep the vacuum in there, we now have two sets per bed: flannel and percale for the kids, percales for hubs and me. Even with the folding method, flannels are still pretty thick, but more storable in the kids' closets. I make a packet, with the fitted and pillowcase folded within the top sheet. Hmm, I think it's time to get the summery floral embroidered ones on the bed, now that it's 80 degrees out!

• Jamie
    9 years ago

If you ask me, that sheet was either part polyester or previously ironed. My fitted sheets come out of the dryer with "texture" in the corners where the elastic is, and they don't smooth out until stretched onto the mattress. Even my flat sheets come out of the dryer with wrinkles, at least at the edges, that cause them to be less perfectly square and floppy/smooth.

• vedazu
    9 years ago

The system works! First try, one two six! Thanks for the link!