Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrelaplume2

pinstriping...don't want to paint!

andrelaplume2
11 years ago

we have white walls in our basement. My kids thought it would be cool to add 2" wide (or so) vertical stripes every 20 inches or so....we are NY Yankee fans and thought this along with some other NY Yankees decorations would give the room some pizzaz. I like the idea but to have to tape and paint 20 or so pinstripes is not enticing.

You would thing there would be a a roll of something (decal, wallpaper) that one could apply. I can not seam to find anything...perhaps I am googling teh wrong keywords.

Thoughts, ideas?

Comments (50)

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    11 years ago

Try a place that sells pin striping for cars. You might be able to just paint the walls and adhere the stripes (if you can find the right color).

• graywings123
    11 years ago

Use striped wallpaper. When the wall is prepped correctly, wallpaper is easy to remove.

• emagineer
    11 years ago

Not sure how much wall you have, but tape would cost a fortune. Are you brave enough to let your kids paint the stripes? The wallpaper idea is a good one. You don't have to buy the exact stripes. Just find one that has a large stripe in the right color and cut out. Actually sounds like fun finding a way.

• tracie.erin
    11 years ago

How about contact paper? It would probably be the easiest thing to do. This girl used silver contact paper:

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/boston/february-jumpstart-2009-entries/how-to-bathroom-stripes-adrianes-february-jumpstart-project-2009-076630

Here is a link that might be useful: Amazon blue contact paper

• teacats
    11 years ago

Instead of painting the walls -- perhaps consider hanging large cork bulletin boards -- alternate painting each board white and blue -- and add fun posters and fan stuff. Easy to hang and change out stuff!

• annzgw
    11 years ago

Why not just put up vinyl tape in the preferred color choice, and leave it?
    I've linked to one site I found and the prices look pretty good. You may want to google others and price check.
    A 36 yd roll would give you 12 stripes on a 9' wall.

Here is a link that might be useful: vinyl tape

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    11 years ago

Stuff to stick to walls, you say? Lemme tell ya about that. I've spent about 18 months researching adhesives and vinyl products that stick and will release cleanly from painted walls.

It ain't as easy as you'd think it would be.

The vinyl tape *could* work but it depends on the adhesive. One of three things can happen:

1. It's too aggressive and when it comes to repositioning during installation, it will stretch and deform the tape. ... and you have to start over. . . and blow thru a ton of tape.

2. When it's time to take it down, it leaves a residue that is tedious to clean off.

3. Adhesive is too weak to hold the tape up vertically and to battle gravity you're going to have to tack it so it stays up.

Colored vinyl in shapes, sheets or tapes with just the right adhesive for walls is elusive. If you do find it, it's expensive and/or you have to order an entire palette for a gajillion dollars.

One option I would pursue to mimic Yankee's pinstripes for just one wall would be my friend Laurie at Customized Walls custom murals. She uses a product that is the magic combination of the right material with the right removable adhesive for painted walls. They can help you with the pinstripe artwork.

Here is a link that might be useful: Customized Walls

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    11 years ago

I forgot the "s". Sorry.

Here is a link that might be useful: One more time. . .

• andrelaplume2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Try a place that sells pin striping for cars. You might be able to just paint the walls and adhere the stripes (if you can find the right color).
    **Sounds good but only if the striping can be removed easily down the road.

I don't know about decals or anything like that, but you could use wide painters tape to make the stripes. Tape it up and paint the whole wall. Pull off the tape and there are your white pinstripes. Kind of the inverse of what you were going for, but much easier!
    **If I were just starting out that might work�just painted the walls white a month ago�would necesitate repainting blue�the taping then painting white again�too much paint for maybe 20 two inch wide blue stripes�

Use striped wallpaper. When the wall is prepped correctly, wallpaper is easy to remove
    **I do not want to walpaper the whole wall. I f I could find something in a 2" blue stripe that I could paper up�but its been elusive so far�

Not sure how much wall you have, but tape would cost a fortune. Are you brave enough to let your kids paint the stripes? The wallpaper idea is a good one. You don't have to buy the exact stripes. Just find one that has a large stripe in the right color and cut out. Actually sounds like fun finding a way.
    **the trick is finding a border or something with one 2" wide navy stripe to cut out!

Why not just put up vinyl tape in the preferred color choice, and leave it?
    I've linked to one site I found and the prices look pretty good. You may want to google others and price check.
    A 36 yd roll would give you 12 stripes on a 9' wall.

* sounds good if the tape will stick and not start to come off�but could also be somewhat easily removed dwn the road..

Stuff to stick to walls, you say? Lemme tell ya about that. I've spent about 18 months researching adhesives and vinyl products that stick and will release cleanly from painted walls.
    It ain't as easy as you'd think it would be. ..
    *Yes, I fear all these things!

• graywings123
    11 years ago

2" wide (or so) vertical stripes every 20 inches or so..

I think it could end up looking like prison bars. You might be wise to buy construction paper, scissors and thumb tacks and replicate your plan before committing to anything more permanent or expensive.

• cindyloo123
    11 years ago

Use wood strips. Cut some cheap paneling into strips or use any cheap wood. Prepaint the wood, tack it on the walls and you are finished.

• andrelaplume2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

There is no cheap wood strips anymore...thought of that...thin, clean edged slats are about $4 per piece...too expensice.
    RE:
    I think it could end up looking like prison bars. You might be wise to buy construction paper, scissors and thumb tacks and replicate your plan before committing to anything more permanent or expensive.
    *I plan on buying a $5 roll of 1.5" Blue Painters tape and using it to see what it will look like...If only the tape were navy blue and would adhere indefinitly!

• bestyears
    11 years ago

I think I know something that may work! See if you can find fabric that gives you the look you want. The google something about dipping that fabric in liquid starch, whereupon it apparently adheres itself to the wall.

• bestyears
    11 years ago

Here's a link to the fabric-on-the-wall-using-liquid-starch method

Here is a link that might be useful: Fabric on the Wall

• bestyears
    11 years ago

And here's a link to some reasonable fabric.....

Maybe one focal wall would be better than all the walls. I can imagine it being a bit like a jail cell with all the walls. Also, you can buy NY Yankee fleece, and you could make some nice, cozy pillows and throws out of that to top it off.

• bestyears
    11 years ago

Okay, I'm really not trying to hog all the replies to this thread.....

I just I forgot the link....

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue and white stripe fabric

• geokid
    11 years ago

Well, my suggestion would actually give you blue walls with white stripes, but if you want white walls with blue stripes (which I understand you would because that's the Yankees uniform), then, yes, you would have to do like you said. That is a lot of painting and it would probably be easier to just mark off the pin stripes and paint them.

Here's a video on how to do it. I painted horizontal stripes in my daughter's room and It really wasn't that difficult. The main thing was the prep time but you are going to have significant prep time with the other methods above too.

Have you looked into hiring a professional to paint them? Just a thought.

Here is a link that might be useful: Paint pinstripes

• andrelaplume2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am thinking you are right about the jail cell effect...maybe just do one or two walls....I wonder if that blue painters tape would stick for any period of time...that would be the simplest solution....maybe somebody sells it in a darker blue....I am now looking at the fabric method...I guess the other question would be....how far apart to make the stripes....the one wall is 12 feet and the other is a 10 foot wall that continues another 15 feet but only dropping down a foot from teh ceiling....it covers the duct work....

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

I did stripes in my former home small bathroom, and it was a lot of work! I don't know if a smaller room is worse than a larger room. It looked great, though, but I wish I knew what I was getting into.

• geokid
    11 years ago

Here are some striped wall decals.

Here is a link that might be useful: Striped wall decals

• bestyears
    11 years ago

Is the wall cement or wallboard, or something else?

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    11 years ago

The striped wall decals uses the right material too. Priced out per square for one wall, they might be less than the removable custom wallpaper. I dunno. Didn't do the math.

• andrelaplume2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

the walls are drywall....

• marcolo
    11 years ago

A pinstripe is a pinstripe, not a 2" stripe. The effect of a wide dark stripe is completely different and it will remind nobody of the Yankees.

• bestyears
    11 years ago

For the price of a bottle of liquid starch and an inexpensive piece of fabric, you could fairly easily figure out if the fabric idea would work for you. marcolo - I disagree. I think a true pinstripe on a wall is going to get lost. A 1-inch stripe, three inches apart or so, would probably mimic pinstripes fairly well.

• geokid
    11 years ago

I hope I don't seem obsessed with this, but I'm a baseball fan and us fans can get, well, kind of obsessed. lol!

I found this tutorial from Benjamin Moore. Even if you use something other than paint, it gives info on how to space the pinstripes to be "official".

Here's another themed room from the Rachel Ray show. It's the inverse pinstripe, but it still works. Love the stadium mural!

{{!gwi}}

Here's another room with wider stripes. I think if it didn't have the solid colored bottom, it would definitely look like prison bars!

{{!gwi}}

• andrelaplume2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

that helps..I am thinking the 1/2" every 8". I have a solid wall thats 10 ft and a baffold 12" high that abuts it and runs another 15 or so feet for a total span of 25 or so feet. I debate putting stripes on the 12' wall that runs perpendiculat to the 10' wall. I may paint that solid blue. Or I may strip the upper half of both walls and paint the lower half blue and add some chair rail...guess I need to stripe the one wall first and then decide.

• marcolo
    11 years ago

Point proven.

• cindyloo123
    11 years ago

Wow, that link Geokid put up, sells 17 1" stripes for $45. I don't think you can do it any cheaper than that and the stripes would have nice clean edges.

You could save some time and money if you painted the bottom third of the wall with the dark blue and only striped the remaining portion. If you have furniture covering most of the bottom of the wall, there is no sense in striping it anyway.

I was also thinking that you might be able to find ribbon that would do the job. If you could buy it in bulk somewhere, I don't think it would cost much and if it would adhere with the starch mixture, I think it would work.

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

Andre - How about 2 1/4" navy blue ribbon? Grosgrain or satin (flat or shiny) is 10 yards for about $10.

Put it up with double-stick tape (the office kind).

• marcolo
    11 years ago

The pinstripes in the picture above are half an inch wide. I'd stick with a similar dimension.

• chicagoans
    11 years ago

I tried this years ago in our old family room. I wanted a tone on tone, so did one color but two finishes (gloss and egg shell.) What a PITA! I spent lots of money on the longest level I could find and rolls of painter's tape, then went around the room making marks for the tape.

The guy in the pics makes it look easy, but remember you'll be up and down on a footstool (unless you can reach the ceiling w/out one), and it's not that easy to hold a long level in one hand and draw the pencil line with the other. And since the level probably won't go floor to ceiling, drawing each line takes 2 steps.

I had to keep cleaning the level because the pencil dust would get on the edges and cause a smear on the wall. And if your walls are not perfectly straight and smooth, you might get some hiccups.

Hanging the tape perfectly straight often took a few tries. And you have to do some math if you want to turn a corner and make the stripes come out evenly (otherwise, a stripe would either be too wide or too narrow near the corner, or there would be too much or too little space between stripes, etc.)

But finally, I painted and peeled off the tape. Voila! Wait, no, what?!? Smears under the tape, even tho I had pressed down the edges with a credit card. And a few random drips here and there that I didn't notice while painting.

I did this little project after taking a couple of faux painting classes (back when that was the rage) so I thought I was a bit experienced and good at this. I also practiced on primed wall board. But even so, it was harder than I thought it would be.

Sorry to be a nay-sayer, but I thought I'd share my experience. Hopefully yours will be much better! (FYI it would help to have another pair of hands for the penciling and taping.)

• terezosa / terriks
    11 years ago

IF you decide to paint or apply the stripes in another way it might be easier to use a plumb bob to mark the stripes than a pencil and level.

• geokid
    11 years ago

Definitely use a chalk line. That's what I used in my daughter's room and it worked great. I've also used it to make horizontal fence slats level, but that's another project! :)

Levels are useful for short stretches, but on a long wall they can be a PITA, as Chicagoans can attest.

• andrelaplume2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Why wuldn't I use a 7' piece of molding with the level to the left of it...ie, level the moulding and draw the vertical line.

RE:
    But finally, I painted and peeled off the tape. Voila! Wait, no, what?!? Smears under the tape, even tho I had pressed down the edges with a credit card. And a few random drips here and there that I didn't notice while painting.

My biggest concern is smears...did you use frog tape?

No one has a half inch pinstripe or vinyl tape locally..I am hesitant to order something sight unseen. They do have 1/4" but that means more stripes and I am afraid the wall will be too big for such a skinny stripe...even at 4 or five inches...thoughts....

• geokid
    11 years ago

"Why wuldn't I use a 7' piece of molding with the level to the left of it...ie, level the moulding and draw the vertical line."

That could work, but you would need to make sure the molding is very straight. Even being slightly off can make your line look diagonal over 7'.

If you are going to go the moulding route to make your line, what about temporarily affixing the moulding and then running down the side with a paint marker to make your blue line. Then move the moulding over your desired spacing and do it again.

• terezosa / terriks
    11 years ago

If you do the tape and paint routine the best way to keep the paint from bleeding under the tape is to go over the edge of the tape with a light coat of the existing wall color paint. It should dry pretty quickly, then paint your stripes. Then remove the tape as soon as possible, otherwise the paint film that "bridges" the tape and the wall may become jagged.

• andrelaplume2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

...thought the frog tape wass suppose to stop the bridging?

• terezosa / terriks
    11 years ago

The frog tape is supposed to stop it from seeping under the tape. The bridging is a function of the semi-elastic properties of the latex paint.

• jlj48
    11 years ago

I know you've already started, but I think I would have just purchase a piece of trim the size of the height of the room, measured carefully and followed along the side with sharpie markers. They probably also sell paint pens that you can fill and use. That would be way faster. Anyone who wanted something different down the road could just prime over them. I hope it is going better for you.

• massagerocks
    11 years ago

came across this....it looks cool and alot less work than pinstriping the wall. You could then accessorize the room to make it Yankee specific.

Here is a link that might be useful: baseball player wall decal

• andrelaplume2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I can test the sharpie idea I guess...it would have to be a wide one I suppse...

• andrelaplume2
    Original Author
    11 years ago
  • geokid
    11 years ago

Get it. Try it. You're only out 20 bucks if it doesn't work.

• geokid
    11 years ago

Sorry, I meant to be more positive. I think it sounds like a great idea!

• terezosa / terriks
    11 years ago

I would never use a sharpie or any other pen on the walls. I can't imagine how many coats of a good sealer/primer it would take to cover.

• andrelaplume2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

yea...as I was looking at Sharpies I thought of that..then started looking n ebay for tape....

• andrelaplume2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I painted them! I decided that since I had the paint and I found a roll of bllue tape I'd go for it. First I decided to test the tape. Since I decided to paint the lower half of two walls blue, leaving the upper white and add some chair rail..I decided to mask off a horizontal line with the blue tape...worst case the chair rail would hide 'whatever happened'. T my suprise, after three coats of blue paint to the lower half of the wall...the tape pulled off leaving a perfect line....it was a sin to cover it with chair rail.

My 15 year old still wanted stripes and I had a little more confidence now. I decided to try it on a 6 foot wide wall. It really was no hard. I used a level to draw a light line. I aligned the blue tape. I then measured over 3/4 of an ich and dropped another vertical lenght of tape....I just eyeballed the spacing all the way down. I next pressed the tape into place with the end of my paint stir stick. Next I rolled 3 coats of the dark blue paint.

Of course I ran out of paint with 3 stripes to go! Anyway I removed the tape. NOT PERFECT this time. Some edges were quite good but some were fuzzy. My kid loved it though. I am a perfectionist but was dissapointed a bit. I ran out and bought frog tape and did the last 3 stripes in the same manner. The frog tape performed 50% better...but there were still some fuzzy edges. There are no instructions with the tape...I assume you remove it while the paint is still wet..? I think I waited longer between coats on the horizontal test I did...not sure if that was a factor.

Anyway, the kid loves it. Under the light that is down there its looks fine unless you get up close ans stare.

I went with a 3/4" strip every 5.25 inches. Personally a thinner stripe closer would have looked better. But thats a lot more waork and stripe that thin with fuzzy edges may have looked worse.

• geokid
    11 years ago

Congrats! I'm glad that you just went for it. And I like that you did the bottom blue. I bet it looks very cool...even though I'm a diehard Twins fan (yeah, I know, I know. Lol). :)