Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ctreno_gw

Need a fun laundry room color asap

ctreno
13 years ago

I don't know why I cannot pick a laundry room color. (Perhaps it's because I am used to having laundry in my dismal gray concrete basement, so I can't envision an actual room lol!)

It will is a small room on 2nd floor, windowless 6x6, directly facing a room that is painted BM Wickham Gray (which reads almost light blue in our house, but not sure if that matters since I think the laundry room door will be closed most of the time.) We haven't chosen a hallway color yet, but I am guessing it will be some kind of off white.

I am thinking something cheerful that makes you want to do laundry (ha, ha) maybe a light yellow, but don't want pastel looking. Maybe a cream? I happened to have a sample of Citron's Brie, but can't tell if that will be too in your face in such a small space.

Does anyone want to throw out an idea before I just paint it white?

Comments (13)

• jejvtr
    13 years ago

ct

This is an older pic & my laundry was in the dungeon basement -
    Craft paper inspired the "fun" color

Even inspired to paint the old plank door

Good luck - That was my idea - I'm there so much it should be fun!

• User
    13 years ago

Jejvtr - that's an adorable space, I love the colors!

Ctreno I don' think cream says fun but yellow is a happy energenic color. Have you checked out the laundry/mud room thread in the Gallery? Tons of pictures and inspiration!

Here is a link that might be useful: Laundry / Mudd room

• megradek
    13 years ago

BM Mushroom is a nice soft yellow that is not pastel. but don't be afraid of a lot of color in a small space. I think that's what will set your laundry room apart from others!

• live_wire_oak
    13 years ago

Purples go well with the grey of the other room. Nothing pastel or lilac. PURPLE! Something like Behr Mystical Purple or Berry Jam. Put some lime green (Behr Sweet Midori or Grape Gree) accessories with it and you've got a really FUN laundry room. :)

• paint_chips
    13 years ago

Oh no, don't paint it white! Try Gliddon's Champagne Sparkle. It is a cheerful yellow, but not overly bright. I think it will forever be my go-to buttery yellow. (Don't even ask how many samples it took for me to find it!) :O)

• ctreno
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone. I think I am going for yellowish. Jejvtr - I want to come do laundry at your house!

• anjismith
    13 years ago

jejvtr, what color is that on your walls?? Thanks!

• pps7
    13 years ago

jejvtr-that is awesome! I'd do laundry all the time if my space looked like that.

We are using BM dill pickle for our laundry room. One coat is up but no electricity and since there are no windows in the room, I don't have pics. Here are a few pics of dill pickle from the internet:

{{gwi:1461203}}

{{gwi:1461202}}

• firstmmo
    13 years ago

BM Retro Lime is very vibrant....but my favorite yellow is BM Mellow Yellow or BM Hawthorne Yellow

• tarhlfan
    13 years ago

Love the dill pickle!!

• cjacker
    13 years ago

I painted mine in our new home bright red and a soft yellow with white cabinets and w&d. I love it.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    13 years ago

gma_j, I have decided to paint my laundry room a bright red also. What color did you use, please. I have looked at some samples and none are the bright red I envision.

• ctreno
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I like the dill pickle, but I think I still want to go with something yellow. And I think the day after I posted this, House Beautiful arrived in my mailbox with guess what paint color featured - you got it...yellow.

Another thought is I might do wallpaper since I just love wallpaper!

Thanks for all the suggestions.