Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
allison0704_gw

Low Profile Box Spring Cover

allison0704
9 years ago

DD1 is having a hard time finding a low profile box spring cover that is made for 6" depth. She also wants it to have a nice, crisp finish. I've also searched w/o luck. Any recommendations?

She is also looking for a good quality mattress pad that has sheet-like material on the sides for a more tailored look. One was ordered from Amazon, and it didn't have elastic on the sides and wouldn't stay on the mattress. If they were from the same line, that would be best but I told her not hold her breath. No sheen, no visual pattern. A little texture okay, but she'd rather it be crisp.

Her bedding is a mix of Sefte Neama Charcoal (embroidered accent) shams and duvet, with Matouk Sierra Hemstich sheets/pillowcases. She is using a Moroccan wedding blanket behind the bed and a faux fur throw across the end for texture.

Thanks.

Comments (17)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

FWIW, I think Calico Corners makes them custom. Maybe in a matelasse.

• stolenidentity
    9 years ago

I just cover ours with a fitted sheet. Easy, breasy, washable, changeable, and inexpensive.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

If DD1 is up for a little DIY, attached is a tutorial.

Here is a link that might be useful: Simple Details Upholstered Box Spring tutorial

• allison0704
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. I mentioned just using a sheet, but nowadays they are made for 15" mattresses. Wouldn't it be really loose on a 6" box spring? She definitely does not want anything that just fits around the box without a top - too many bad reviews on them not staying.

She is extremely creative, but does not sew. Good tutorial though.

She has moved back to northern CA and is far from stores. Makes it hard when she would rather see things in person before buying, but that's a day trip and 200+ miles round trip. She's pretty set in her ways and a perfectionist, so it's not been an easy for her to set up the house.

You'd think there would be more out there. Frontgate has a plain box spring cover, but when I asked them a question I was told it's just a sheet and it has a high sheen. Her box spring is darker in color (mattress is not), so it needs to be thick enough. Guess she's back to looking at ordering another king sheet and tucking the extra fabric under best she can. I already suggested she buy a flat instead, so that it can be tightly folded under and clipped with Sheet Smoothers (Bed Bath and Beyond).

• violetwest
    9 years ago

use a large flat sheet that can be tucked in and pinned, instead of a fitted sheet.

• annac54
    9 years ago

Use a fitted sheet and anchor it on the bottom with upholstery twist pins. Search on Google and you will get plenty of options.

• allison0704
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I mentioned using a flat sheet in my last post. Will check out upholstery twist pins.

Thanks, sis2two. Will check out the website.

This post was edited by allison0704 on Thu, May 29, 14 at 22:08

• dakota01
    9 years ago

I covered mine with a fitted sheet also. Mine is not visable since I use a bed skirt - but, I just like it covered.

• graywings123
    9 years ago

The upholstery tutorial above is lovely, but there are easier ways to do that. You don't need to sew anything to cover a box spring with fabric. Scissors and a staple gun would suffice. She could cut the fabric into strips and staple them to the box springs. Where the fabric strips meet, she could fold over one strip and lap it over the raw edge of the other. There is at least one tutorial on Pinterest showing this - none of which I can find at the moment.

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

I just ordered a mattress cover a nice big fluffy one from Hilton to Home dot com. I ordered their mattress too for our king bed. I hope it comes soon as DH and I are sleeping upstairs in the guest room in the much smaller bed and with the golden retriever and the two of us all in the bed this is getting ridiculous!!! My air bed finally blew a tire one too many times. Hence the new mattress and cover from H to H.

• allison0704
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks. Will pass along your Pinterest instructions, graywings, and have her check out that site, gr8day.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

the absolute best mattress pad I've ever gotten is the 100% cotton pad from soaring heart.com (see link). It has no sides; it just lays flat on the bed, and believe it or not, it does not crease, and it is SO comfortable. So easy to wash, travel with, etc.

But I'm curious: why does she care what the sides of a mattress pad look like? Aren't they covered by the fitted sheet?

I don't understand this price of $245 for a queen, though. I bought mine for $100 from them. That's quite a jump in just a few years!

Here is a link that might be useful: Soaring Heart Mattress Pad

• allison0704
    Original Author
    9 years ago

She was looking for mattress pad with nicer sides to use on box spring(s) - split king. She's also looking for a better (not extremely expensive) mattress pad for the king mattress. The one she is returning didn't have elastic all around and wouldn't stay down.

Thanks for the link. I didn't know anyone still made the pads like that - what I had growing up.

• allison0704
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thought I'd post an update in case anyone searches for a thread in the future.

DD1 ran across PureCare at a store in a semi-nearby town, but they didn't have the sizes she needed. The fabric is nice and thick. They have several depths, so they will work with her low profile box and thick mattress.

She has a feather bed, so she is using the OmniGuard mattress protector for the king (instead of mattress pad) and PureCare box spring protector. Both are full encasement. The king price is same on website and Amazon, but website is less on twin (split box).

Here is a link that might be useful: PureCare

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

Great! I was wondering if you found something and was going to suggest sleepez.com. I've ordered from them before. The website is one you have to go on a scavenger hunt for what you want as it is busy and requires lots of clicks to get to where you are going but they have good things and covers for box springs and will custom make things like latex dog beds etc. Owners are very nice and helpful. Box Springs and covers would be under foundations. I'm glad your daughter found what she was looking for and thanks for the update.

Here is a link that might be useful: Online bedding

• whiterabbit
    9 years ago

Pottery Barn sells a 5" box spring cover. Unfortunately it only comes in white matelasse. It is called Cameron.