Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theresa2_gw

Solar Shade Openness Factor

theresa2
10 years ago

I live on a lake and want to preserve my eastern view of that lake. I'm considering purchasing solar shades to reduce glare in the morning and to protect furnishings. It's so hard to tell from a small swatch if 5% openness will preserve my view. With the small swatch you can see clearly through the dark color, but I wonder if on a big window if the view will be clear dead on and opaque at an angle.

If you have a 5% openness factor in a dark solar shade, do you wish you had gone with 10% to preserve more of your view? Conversely, if you have 10% are you satisfied with glare reduction and fabric protection?

Also, I'm planning on going without the cassette. Does the shade look fine without the cassette for a more causal look? Would you recommend that I order a few extra inches of fabric to make sure that the roll has fabric wrapped around it even when the shade is completely down?

Comments (12)

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    10 years ago

We have solar shades on our golf course facing Southern California home. We keep them up, mostly because we like a clear view, but when watching TV, they definitely help the glare. They help keep the house cooler in the hot sun also.

We have the cassettes and like them. They make everything look neat.

We can see through them, but the view is not clear. It's like looking through a haze.

Also at night, anyone can see YOU!

We will have these again in our new view home, mainly for the glare factor. They will be in their cassetts most of the time.

I don't know what % ours are.

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

I don't think you will be happy with 5%, but only you will know for certain. Tell your shade person that you need to see a larger sample of the various openness factors.

• theresa2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nevermind, I decided against solar shades. It turns out that solar shades show a diagonal stripe effect when layered over a window screen. It's an effect that I could not live with. I'm not sure if all solar shades do this. Just thought I would pass this information onto others who might be considering solar shades for their windows.

• amykath
    10 years ago

Excuse the picture quality but we too have huge windows east facing to a lake. I got these shades from Overstock for about 20.00 each and they do the trick.

• amykath
    10 years ago

Another shot at night.

• theresa2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I love those shades aktillery. Good find!

• amykath
    10 years ago

Thanks Theresa! We are only renting so I was not about to pay a great deal of $$ on shades. ;) But geez, the light blaring in during most of the day was killing me!

• annie1971
    10 years ago

Theresa: You might investigate having your windows tinted. My bathroom windows have the darkest allowed for noncommercial use and our bedroom has the second darkest. We can see perfectly through them during the day; they protect from the sun (we're in a high mountain desert climate) and give complete privacy. You will want shades, however, for privacy at night when your lights are on.

• earmenta
    9 years ago

Hi Theresa, On may 2013 you express your doubt about 5 or 10% openess factor for your windows. I would like to know what openess you decided and what is your experience about your decision.
    My wife and I are in the same situation right now and we do not know which would be better. We have a wonderful forest infron of our 14 windows and we do not know if we choose 10% our furniture would be protected.
    Thanks for your input.
    Enrique Armenta
    earmenta00@msn.com
    Canada

• joyce_6333
    9 years ago

Hi Theresa: These are old pictures, but thought I'd share. We got custom shades from Penneys and I believe they were 5%. In the picture the lower shades are installed, and the uppers are clear.

• Shannon Barnes
    4 years ago

Theresa2

I’m considering buying solar shades for my screened in porch. When the sun sets, it produces a huge glare. Not to mention the sun is shining directly on the left side of your face. Lol

My screen is a dark color and the metal is black. I was thinking of buying a light gray shade to brighten things up. I like the option of being able to see through the shade a bit. I’m thinking that 5% open would be the best option from what you have said. I am wondering what you meant by a moire pattern with the shade over the screen? Thank you. Shannon