Return to the Home Decorating Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Poor man's version of ________ ?

Posted by beantownrenovator (My Page) on
Sat, May 31, 08 at 8:48

Hi All,

Was just in the kitchen forum and mamadadapaige described a lighting company (Visual Comfort) as the poor man's version of Urban Archaeology. I loved that she was able to draw that conclusion and share with us. Wondering what you've found your poor man's version of?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Poor man's version of ________ ?

Well, this is well known, but Restoration Hardware has some really good poor-man's version of Urban Archaeology for washstands, lighting, hardware. RH certainly isn't inexpensive but it is compared to UA!

o

I just saw that beautiful kitchen too. The owner of that kitchen has an Ikea light that looks like a more expensive Le Klimt, and she has Target barstools that look just like more expensive Pottery Barn ones. So, I think Ikea and Target are worth mentioning even though they're obvious!

Can't think of anything else right now but will post if I do.

o

JC Penney carries lots of knock-offs from PB and Ballard at much cheaper prices.

o

In the current economy, this seemed like a thread worth bumping....

o

In the current economy, this thread seemed worthy of bumping up....

o

bump :)

o

eBay and patience, I have found, are the Poor man's version of many brick and mortar vintage places, and 1st Dibs vendors.

o

Craigslist. And LOTS of patience.

o

granite- DIY Stoneffects by rustoleum lots of wait time but I love my new counters
Counter top expoxy coating Kitchen is 2 parts Galaxy one part Silver Sands
Photobucket Bathroom is Silver Sands

Did both counters for under $400

o

Walmart if you look hard enough. In fact I have an entire file w/ side by side pictures of PB knock-offs (guess I'm starting at the mid-level and trickling down there!). Sadly it's also poor man's quality too but it's great if you want the look right away whil eyou save for the next upgrades.

IKEA & Target' are always on my poor mans list and I have a fair amt. of stuff from there.

Can anyone provide a link to the kitchen that started this? I'd love to take a peek!

And then the patience thing! Has worked out well once I learned to master the waiting game lol!

o

I would love to see the kitchen thread that started this too. Anyone have a link?

I follow Copy Cat Chic, a blog that finds less expensive alternates to furniture and other decorative elements.

Here is a link that might be useful: Copy Cat Chic

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here