Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beantownrenovator

Poor man's version of ________ ?

beantownrenovator
15 years ago

Hi All,

Was just in the kitchen forum and mamadadapaige described a lighting company (Visual Comfort) as the poor man's version of Urban Archaeology. I loved that she was able to draw that conclusion and share with us. Wondering what you've found your poor man's version of?

Thanks!

Comments (11)

• sayde
    15 years ago

Well, this is well known, but Restoration Hardware has some really good poor-man's version of Urban Archaeology for washstands, lighting, hardware. RH certainly isn't inexpensive but it is compared to UA!

• oldhometara
    15 years ago

I just saw that beautiful kitchen too. The owner of that kitchen has an Ikea light that looks like a more expensive Le Klimt, and she has Target barstools that look just like more expensive Pottery Barn ones. So, I think Ikea and Target are worth mentioning even though they're obvious!

Can't think of anything else right now but will post if I do.

• cindyloowoo
    15 years ago

JC Penney carries lots of knock-offs from PB and Ballard at much cheaper prices.

• gilmoregal
    14 years ago

In the current economy, this seemed like a thread worth bumping....

• gilmoregal
    14 years ago

In the current economy, this thread seemed worthy of bumping up....

• young-gardener
    11 years ago

bump :)

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

eBay and patience, I have found, are the Poor man's version of many brick and mortar vintage places, and 1st Dibs vendors.

• mclarke
    11 years ago

Craigslist. And LOTS of patience.

• CLBlakey
    11 years ago

granite- DIY Stoneffects by rustoleum lots of wait time but I love my new counters
    {{!gwi}} Kitchen is 2 parts Galaxy one part Silver Sands
    {{!gwi}} Bathroom is Silver Sands

Did both counters for under $400

• ttodd
    11 years ago

Walmart if you look hard enough. In fact I have an entire file w/ side by side pictures of PB knock-offs (guess I'm starting at the mid-level and trickling down there!). Sadly it's also poor man's quality too but it's great if you want the look right away whil eyou save for the next upgrades.

IKEA & Target' are always on my poor mans list and I have a fair amt. of stuff from there.

Can anyone provide a link to the kitchen that started this? I'd love to take a peek!

And then the patience thing! Has worked out well once I learned to master the waiting game lol!

• bbstx
    11 years ago

I would love to see the kitchen thread that started this too. Anyone have a link?

I follow Copy Cat Chic, a blog that finds less expensive alternates to furniture and other decorative elements.

Here is a link that might be useful: Copy Cat Chic