Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deegw

What would you do with this wall space?

deegw
9 years ago

This is not the wall space but I thought I should post this to give you a visitor's perspective. This what you first see when you look in our front door.

{{!gwi}}

On the other side of the door is a small hall that shows the blank wall space. Guests rarely look this way as it is opposite the living space.

{{!gwi}}

Our entry is tight but it works because it has a high ceiling and it flows well into the living area. This is what immediately catches your eye when you come in the house.

{{!gwi}}

I'd like to do something fun with the wall but really have no idea what to do. Ship lap, wall paper, mural? The house is turning out to be more traditional than I intended so I am not opposed to a little whimsy. The hall is quite narrow (five feet) so I think furniture on the wall would be too cramped.

This post was edited by deee on Fri, May 16, 14 at 8:48

Comments (10)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Personally, I'd put a little door in there and create storage space under the stairs! But that's because I have NO storage area in my house, and it drives me bananas.

What if you got some of that paintable wallpaper that has a pretty pattern on it, then paint it?

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Chalkboard paint?

• Olychick
    9 years ago

I don't think I'd do anything. It's probably not a space I'd want to "feature" and with the cabinet/bookcase just beyond it, I think you could use the unfettered space there.

• camlan
    9 years ago

If there's a coat closet opposite that wall, it's a natural for a mirror, for checking things out just before you head out the door.

You could also do a gallery wall. Or put up narrow picture ledges and a randomly changing array of art.

If you have kids, you could do some sort of whimsical growth chart painted on the wall.

And I know some people say no personal pictures in public spaces, but in a similar spot in her home, my aunt has baby pictures of all her kids. As they graduate from high school, she adds their high school graduation photo under their baby picture. Many people stop and comment on them, and of course, all us cousins like to poke gentle fun at how our cousins looked/were dressed as babies. (They were all adorable babies.)

• violetwest
    9 years ago

paint it the color of the drapes in the living area, and hang a mirror or collection of mirrors to bounce light around.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

The framed items on the staircase wall seem a bit too small and hung too low. When you stand on the stairs are they hung so that you can view them easily, or are you looking down at them? They shouldn't be hung at the height of the hand rail. Also, a contrasting color on the staircase wall would make things more interesting if that works for your home.

• lizbeth-gardener
    9 years ago

Agree with Beverly-am bothered more by the stair rail cutting through the middle of the picture frames (what you see when you open the front door) than I am by the blank wall. I think painting both a deeper color would add the needed touch (along with changing the artwork).

• deegw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Beverly - The pictures are low. What isn't apparent in the photo is that the very top picture is as high as it can go. There is a loft at the top of the stairs and above the highest picture is open space. You can see a bit of the blue paint in the loft in the middle picture. I'd like to add more things to the stair wall. Waiting for inspiration. :)

Camlan - There is a mirror and a window opposite the book case and a gallery type wall with 15 or so Wallace Nutting prints around the door. I tried hanging a few of my mirrors and pictures in the space but they didn't work. It just occurred to me that I might have better luck if i found some kind of triangular piece.

Tibbrix - I would love to add a closet or built in but underneath the stairs is the cellar stairwell.

Thanks for your suggestions. Keep them coming!

• chickadee2_gw
    9 years ago

Since it's a narrow space and you open the door and immediately see the stairway, I think I would leave both walls plain and choose a long colorful runner for the floor. I think the white spindles and the warm wood color are pretty enough to stand alone.

• stolenidentity
    9 years ago

I would put some decorative hooks in a caddywampus way on that wall so guests (or homies) can hang coat, purse, umbrella, keys....whatever. I like the idea of a door, too - if there is not one on the other side for a storage space.