Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Are there ceiling fans/lights that actually provide good light??

Sueb20
9 years ago

I am looking for a ceiling fan for a client's kitchen eating area. It's a bit tricky for a few reasons. One is that the overall space is huge -- eating area is next to (and open to) big kitchen that is open to huge family room -- but the eating area itself is 11' x 14'. There are pendants over the island, which is not far from the eating area, and recessed lighting throughout EXCEPT for the eating area -- no recessed lighting there. So the fixture there, which will be over a large kitchen table (TBD), needs to provide light for the eating area. AND the client wants a ceiling fan. So I need a ceiling fan with good lighting -- is that an impossibility?

Any recommendations for lighting brands that might have what I'm looking for?

Comments (14)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Therearethose Victorian looking ones that take 4 bulbs but are kinda fugly.

I do like this school house one, which takes 2 bulbs

Here is a link that might be useful: Fan

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, mtn, I know exactly the ones you mean. No way. I like the one you linked to but I need something more contemporary feeling. I'd prefer white so it would 'disappear' but I think the options are few, so I'd consider other options. Fixtures throughout the house are a brushed chrome or matte nickel.

Already thinking about how to convince them that they don't really want a fan...

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

The " industry" one by the same co is modern but idk wattage

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

We have a ceiling fan/light in our kitchen over the island. I did not want pendants blocking the view and we need a fan as we don't have a/c.

The light it provides is not great but we have recessed lights close by.

In our master bedroom we have a ceiling fan/light. For me it does not provide enough light but getting a bigger light kit would not look right in the room.

So in both these rooms I need to use supplemental light. I would suggest you do the same for your client. Can additional lighting, recessed or scones be added? Or can lamps be added? In our bedroom I have two lamps but plan to replace those with bigger ones and get 2 more lamps for the other side of the room. If I could plan the bedroom again. I would have added recessed lighting in the corners.

This post was edited by debrak2008 on Fri, May 9, 14 at 16:11

• ppbenn
    9 years ago

Savoy house Fan d'Lier Looks like a chandy has an ionizing fan and uses 5 or more Edison base CFL's for lots of light.
    This is what is going in my BR as I HAVE to have air movement to sleep.
    So many of the light fixtures now have abysmal wattage capability, and use the little chandy bulbs.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, I like some of those. They all just seem like insufficient light for this situation, though.

Part of the problem here is that to position the light low enough to actually illuminate the kitchen table, the fan blades are going to be in someone's face (when standing)!

There is nowhere else really to put other lighting. The "room" in question has all windows on three sides, and the fourth side is open to the kitchen. No wall upon which to install a sconce, and this is all new construction so they're not going to open up the ceiling now to install recessed lights. This would be so much simpler if they didn't want a fan!

The windows go almost all the way to the floor, so we can't even put a sideboard w/ lamps in the space.

Here's a lousy pic of the island pendants. They're quite contemporary, with textured glass.

• graywings123
    9 years ago

From what I can see from my own investigation of this issue, the one choice for strong lighting with a ceiling fan is the style with the four or five lights shining down. There are modern versions:

Here is a link that might be useful: modern ceiling fan with lights

• sloyder
    9 years ago

possini makes this one

Here is a link that might be useful: ceiling fan

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

graywings, I was excited about the one you posted at first, but it's far too big at 60". Since the table is going to probably be about 36" or 42: wide, I think 60" is far too big. Arg, this is tricky.

At first glance, I thought the Possini one was kind of hideous (no offense!) but the more I look at it, I kinda like it...although it does sort of look like a space ship. Clients think they want a farmhouse table, though, which I don't see working with this fixture.

I think this is my favorite so far, though I wonder how effective the fan is.

Here is a link that might be useful: ceiling fan

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I have my share of gripes with our architect, but man, some of the things I read here! My architect had us spec lighting and fans and such very early on, and all rooms were depicted with furniture too, so you wouldn't end up with a room that doesn't fit what you want in it ...

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Could you add recessed cans with remodel housings to light the table area without depending solely on a fan?

I don't mind ceiling fans but I don't know about one blowing on me and my food while I am eating.

• crl_
    9 years ago

Floor lamps with up lighting? Then fan fixture can have less light?

• geokid
    9 years ago

What about a chandel-air (or similar product)?

Here is a link that might be useful: Meyda chandel-air