Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jackson2348_gw

What do y'all think of this rug?

jackson2348
9 years ago

Hi all, we're in search if a rug for the great room. It's under construction, so no pics yet. Here us the rug with some if the fabrics I'm using. There's also a wider angle of the rug. The large floral is the color palette for the room.

Here is my mood board if the space. On this rug will be 2 neutral sofas and 2 navy chairs. Pillows bring in pattern and color. Off the rug in the back I'll have 2 orange chairs and a small game table with 4 chairs.

Do y'all think this rug works, or do you have other suggestions? I really trust the collective wisdom of this board!!!

Comments (28)

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    9 years ago

I love the rug. It has your colors and is soft and muted enough to be somewhat neutral. I even sent it to my PC with the better monitor than on my laptop so I could check the colors as they looked a bit pinkish on this one. :-) I adore pattern on pattern, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

• dakota01
    9 years ago

I like the colors and pattern - but, IMHO I think the scale of the rug pattern and your first pictures fabric are too similiar if you are using a fair amount of that fabric.

But, what do I know I still can't figure out a paint color for a small laundry rooom! LOL

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Love the soft tones of the rug. Don't think the floral fabric for the pillows work with it. I'd consider accent pillows in keeping with the style of the rug and try to find Ikat style patterns in coordinating colors.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    9 years ago

Jackson, Help us - Are you using the beautiful floral fabric in a pillow as shown in your mood board?

I don't see an indication of what may be window treatment fabric, but because I am a pattern lover, I would 'approve' floor length drapery panels in that fabric, if they were hung at the sides of the windows and pleated or gathered. :-)

PS - I also love the color orange!

• jackson2348
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the responses!
    My3dogs, the floral will be pillows in the great room. I'll have drapes out of this same fabric in the adjacent dining room. The great room required 64(!!) yards for panels, so I am going with a plain linen at about 1/10 the price. It's shown on the mood board just below the beams, and we'll have the green tape down the lead edge on each panel.

Beverly27, thanks for looking. We're really trying to stay fairly traditional in style. Do you think the rug doesn't fit in a traditional scheme? At any rate, the floral has guided the whole color scheme for the public rooms in the house, so it must stay (plus I LOVE it!!!). If the rug doesn't work I'll keep looking there.

• tuesday_2008
    9 years ago

I love that rug! Lots of great colors, yet muted to where it is not "in your face". I also think it will look even more neutral when placed flat on the floor. May I ask where you got it, brand, etc.??

• jackson2348
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tuesday, I found it at a local rug store. They import directly. There's not much info on the tag, it says Oushak, 100% wool, hand knotted in India. Thanks for the vote of confidence!

• yayagal
    9 years ago

Absolutely it will go well, it's wonderful.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Just a different direction to consider.

• chispa
    9 years ago

jackson2348, we used the floral fabric for drapes, but went much brighter with a blue sofa and orange chairs. We are using a more modern rug from Carini Lang in NYC, mostly because the orange we picked for the chairs was impossible to coordinate with most rugs.

Here is my inspiration photo:

[Traditional Living Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-living-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_718~s_2107) by Denver Interior Designers & Decorators Andrea Schumacher Interiors

Your rug looks too muted for the floral fabric and too similar in scale, but hard for us to judge from photo swatches at home and obviously I don't go for the muted monochromatic look!!

• zkgardner
    9 years ago

I don't like the first picture of rug with those other items, the rug is to muted. I have similar colors in the living room of my temporary home. I'll take a picture for you and post in a few!

• zkgardner
    9 years ago

This is all furniture I had in our last home, we're building so my husband outfitted a modular on our property for us to live in through the process. We had mostly neutral colored furniture and I thought this bright rug went good with the neutral things we already had.

Ps. I didn't say this in the initial post but that rug is very pretty I'm just not a fan with the other things on your mood board with it.

This post was edited by mrsfireman on Wed, May 14, 14 at 16:08

• Kitchen_ Reno
    9 years ago

I was thinking along the same lines as beverly27's suggestions. (I'm looking for green rugs for my own dining area now - so that might be influencing my opinion!) One of those options would look great with the floral fabric and your window treatments

I think the rug you posted is too muted with the fabric. Love the fabric!

• jackson2348
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Beverly, it's funny you posted that green Greek key rug, I have 2 of these going between the coffee table and the FP:

Chispa, any pics of your rug?

Mrs fireman love your rug, but that look is too contemporary for our space.

I'm pretty set on an oriental for this space. This may not be the one, although votes are pretty even right now :). I kind of thought the more muted tones on this one might be good for a rug. Any suggestions on a better idea in an oriental? Thanks everyone for all your help!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Traditional Green Rugs

• chispa
    9 years ago

jackson2348, no pictures of the rug yet, they don't keep much stock, they are hand-knotted in Nepal and take around 6-8 months, so maybe around October. Hate the waiting! I now need to have some pillows made in the other Celerie Kemble fabrics that go great with the floral ... more waiting!

• jackson2348
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Beverly, that 2nd one is very interesting! Do you have the source?

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Love the second one Beverly posted, the darker green. Nice with your gorgeous fabric . That floral is beautiful! Maybe you could use the original floral rug in an adjoining room?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

New Oushak Oriental Rug Green & Gold

Here is a link that might be useful: Oushak Green Gold Rug

• amykath
    9 years ago

I love the rug you chose! I also think your mood board is gorgeous!

• jackson2348
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks atkillery! It's still in the running.

Do any if you like either of these better?

And just so it's here with the rugs, here's my mood board

Thoughts on these?

• kswl2
    9 years ago

I like the last one you posted best for the fabric you chose. The green rug is pretty but zeroes in on one of the least important colors in the floral fabric. The blue and red has the green of one of your other fabrics as well as the green of the floral. It's actually perfect!

• theclose
    9 years ago

I liked the first one you posted, but I love the last one you just posted with the navy. It is gorgeous! I think it will look great with all your fabrics.

It is going to be a beautiful room!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

I think either rug might work. They're both stronger in tone compared to your first rug selection.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I like the last one you posted. The stronger colors in it really looks wonderful with your beautiful fabric.

• alex9179
    9 years ago

That last one as me drooling!

• beachpea3
    9 years ago

One more vote for the last rug. It picks up all of your mood board - including the stripe on the drapes.

• jackson2348
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks y'all. I really like that one too. It may be THE ONE!

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!