Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nosoccermom

And then there's the Kips Bay Show House...

nosoccermom
9 years ago

I've always really liked DC's Darryl Carter's look, even though in this case, putting the daybed --- which is cool --- smack in front of the fire place is a strange choice. Not only because it seems dangerous, but it blocks the FP and looks like there was no other space for the day bed but it had to be in the room. Unless the meta message is that people have favorite pieces and it's ok to put them in an unusual place. I guess DS was ahead of his time when he put his TV in the fireplace....

Other random thoughts:

I really thought the entrance hall "before" looked great.

Spiky four poster beds are "in"

Love the blue in the gentleman's study and the Mendelson lounge

Here is a link that might be useful: Kips Bay Show House slide show

Comments (15)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Very interesting...it looks like in the ODADA sitting room they put up panels to cover the woodwork rather than paint it. Thank goodness...it would be a shame to destroy it. Love the color on the ceiling!

I agree about the daybed so close to the fireplace...very odd and a safety hazard for sure if you use the FP at all.

The other trend that is huge is wallpapers...haven't see so many in awhile...prints, colors, textures, geometrics...quite something.

And how many sitting rooms/libraries/offices/studies does one house need?

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

People with too much moneyâ¦.

and the 'murder scene' painting is creepy, among other things.

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

More pictures at the link below. (Like the idea of a framed scarf, even if it wasn't worn by Brigitte Bardot).

Also: Looks like books are definitely "out."

That kitchen is mighty dark and "dated" :)

Here is a link that might be useful: More Kips Bay pictures

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I always go to this one every year, in part since we have been involved with the charity as well, since back when we lived in the city.

Interestingly, I liked it better in the NY Times spread then in the AD spread.... I think AD had more of the wildest rooms!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I looked at the NYT slide show and this caption really got me:

Mr. Roberts filled the room with everything he might need: a goatskin...

I can't tell you how many times I'm sitting in the FR and think, "Darn, what I really need right now is a goatskin!"

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

The only things I liked was the Lobrano bedroom and the Sacks staircase....everything else for me was overdone...just too much visually. Would anyone really sit on a bench in their hallway to contemplate the artwork?

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Link to the NYT slide show. Yes, interesting how even the same rooms look different in different publications. The kitchen in the NYT looks a lot lighter --- still a little inconsistent with slab wood doors and the French quatrefoil doors and "country" hood.

"[Carter] ripped a 19th-century landscape from its frame to make the piece at center." And: "Mr. Carter also interfered with a pair of 19th-century portraits, muzzling them with a smear of white paint."

Hm. Sorry, that's trying a bit too hard IMO.

Here is a link that might be useful: NYT slide show

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

Thanks for the links, Nosoccermom.

• aputernut
    9 years ago

Some things are rediculous in that house, and looks like decorating run amock! (paper lanterns??) OMG

• hhireno
    9 years ago

When I saw the fire screen, the first thing that came to mind was "a slinky, a slinky, a wonderful, wonderful toy..."

LOL to Annie.

• mitchdesj
    9 years ago

surprising and unusual at times, i always enjoy looking at that showhouse,
    thanks for posting it.

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Apparently, that fire screen can be yours for a cool 1.5 mio; however, I bet it's negotiable.

• deegw
    9 years ago

I loved the bedroom too. I don't think the designers at the high end show houses expect the masses to copy their ideas. I'm sure some don't care if the room is actually liveable. It's like a haute couture fashion show. Entertainment and inspiration.

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That bedroom reminds me too much of a RH store, like being in a daguerreotype. After a while, I feel like I'm in a alternate universe and need to get out of there.

• Gooster
    9 years ago

Thanks for the links.

Since this is the premier showhouse, you really do get a gamut of design from firms from around the country. As deee implies, it is more like Fashion Week than your local Parade of Homes.

I did like the larder doors in the kitchen, and that hood's mix of limestone and marble is intriguing (but for me, in another style -- and the blending of styles doesn't work for me)

I like the main staircase and I can see that Peacock's dressing room would appeal to a certain clientele. However, the upper hall reminds me of a W hotel (in a bad way), and only lacks the club music pulsing in the background. And that daybed reminds me of temporarily relocating furniture from one room to another when remodeling -- like it is being stashed there just for a while.

Bedsides the blues, I see a lot of glossy finishes, including that blue ceiling (FPE?). Stools seem to be very popular, and brass and gold are dominant, along with the wallpaper mentioned previously.