Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jjam08

Driveway Update

jjam
9 years ago

Thanks all for your comments on our recent driveway dilemma. Turns out we decided to go ahead and replace just the lower portion and cross our fingers that the color match would be ok.
Got to say, it looks pretty good; better than I thought it might. I wanted to share the outcome since some of you might face a similar situation someday.

Here is the new driveway:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

In the photos, you can see the color is slightly different but IRL it really isn't detectable unless you are looking for it. Of course, the driveway will likely never be this clean or pristine again, LOL !!! As it ages, it will darken, and the inevitable stains and discoloration from so many trees, etc., will be distributed evenly.

We got a reduction in the price to account for the hassle, etc., so all in all I think the resolution was fair.

Comments (11)

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

It really looks great! Thanks for updating. I LOVE your home!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Not bad! as you say, wouldn't be noticeable unless you're looking for it, and over time there'll be no discernible difference.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

They did a nice job....you have such a lovely home!

• rdbrya2
    9 years ago

I didn't see the 'before' pic, but given I have only seen the 'after' I can't even tell what part you are referring to that looks different unless you were to point it out so that is a good thing :) I love your house, too btw!!

• graywings123
    9 years ago

Excellent! And thanks for reporting back to us.

• jjam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

rdbrya2, we had a drainage problem with our brand new driveway and it was determined that the problem area was at the bottom, near the door. By replacing only that section we ran the risk of a bad color match since no two batches of concrete are ever alike. Luckily this is very close, as the GC promised he would do everything he could to make it work. I'm glad we didn't insist on tearing the whole thing out, as that option was on the table. That would have been such a waste of time, money, and resources. This was their mistake and I am glad in this case that we trusted them to make it right.

Whew!

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Glad you posted about the results. In a couple of years I'll bet you can't even tell at all. We have a really long driveway and we poured an entirely new section of driveway a couple of years after our original. Once a few seasons passed you can't really tell. Leaves, etc have aged the concrete in different ways in different areas so it just blends in now.

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

Looks great and I bet it won't even take a couple of years to blend totally given the trees you have. I think you made the best choice - glad the GC wanted to make it right and the problem is now fixed.

• loribee
    9 years ago

It worked out great! Thanks for sharing.

• voila
    9 years ago

So glad it turned out so well. Wise decision not to replace the whole thing. Sometimes we have to trust a contractor to fix the problem. So happy yours did not let you down. Makes you feel good about the whole world sometimes, doesn't it?

• User
    9 years ago

Good solution to this problem, you can hardly tell the difference between the slabs.