Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annie_knot

Which green for my kitchen?

annie_knot
15 years ago

My kitchen is now 4 years old and I still love it all except for the wall color. It's not large - 10x13, and gets lots of light all day. I used C2 Pod on the walls - very pretty, but too light. I want a darker green - but not too muddy. Cabinets are shaker painted in BM Featherbed (P060), one cabinet is stained maple with glass doors, floors are cork, counters are oiled soapstone, eating counter is maple. I have a small collection of antique colorful Italian pottery in the kitchen. I really like BM Brookside Moss, but fear that it may be a shocker. What other greens?? Thanks for any great ideas you may have!

Comments (19)

• msrose
    15 years ago

I'm not sure what Brookside Moss looks like, but here's a few green kitchens for you to look at.

Laurie

Here is a link that might be useful: green kitchens

• msrose
    15 years ago

okay, I found some pictures of Brookside Moss. I think it could work in the right kitchen. Do you have any pictures of yours?

Laurie

• les917
    15 years ago

Can you pull a green from the pottery collection as a starting point, and then go lighter or darker from there?

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

Also look at BM 494 Lewiville Green and BM 493 Harbour Town. A little lighter than the Brookside.

• georgiagal
    15 years ago

check out Laura Ashley Olive 4 from Lowes. It's a nice deep olive green, not too gray & not screaming. I have it in my kitchen and and still love it. Looks much better on the walls than on the chip too.

Here's a good shot of it and I have white cabinets;

• callaloo
    15 years ago

Here is my green -- SW Luau Green. However, I'm afraid it screams (which is just what I wanted it to do):

Incidentally, my floor is cork too.

I've got a slightly more subdued (but by no means grey or muddy, but warm instead) green in my LR. It's SW Eminent Bronze.

• annie_knot
    Original Author
    15 years ago

All the pix are beautiful, thank you! I'll take a picture of my kitchen tonight and post it. The cabinet color is a very creamy cream,warm,definitely not white. I love the shocker Luau - but it won't work here. I have a chip of Lewiville, but it's more gray than I want. Maybe I need to go more olive. Been to the paint store twice today. Maybe I need to hire a color person!

• annie_knot
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have spent an hour trying to figure out how to include a jpg file with my message. The Help is not very helpful....

• mlraff53
    15 years ago

Your kitchen sounds gorgeous-can't wait to see pics.

Annie: open a photobucket account, load up your jpg pics. Then use the third link under the pic (html) and clip and paste onto your message. Don't forget to resize.

• ideamom
    15 years ago

I have just painted my kitchen Sherwin Williams Clary Sage. The guy at the SW said it was the most popular sage green color.

• mlraff53
    15 years ago

I love your pottery. How about the green in the big platter on the wall but a couple of shades lighter. I have a similar collection (pitchers) and I painted it BM baby turtle but I think you want something brighter than that.

• pahance
    15 years ago

Personally, I ~love~ the fresh, clear shade of green you already have with your cabinets and decor; I think all you need to do is go a couple shades darker.

• Sueb20
    15 years ago

I have cream colored cabinets in my kitchen with BM Cheyenne Green on the walls. My kitchen is big w/ a lot of windows, though, so maybe look at one of the lighter hues on the same strip? A good friend of mine also has white cabinets with Laura Ashley Olive, but it's a little lighter than georgiagal's so it's probably not #4, maybe a shade lighter. I love that green. You might also look at BM Soft Fern, which is probably a little closer than what you have but not as pale.

• annie_knot
    Original Author
    15 years ago

pretty funny, Rosewind! If you look carefully at the backsplash area to the left, just under the maple cabinet, you will see a small area that is a bit darker. It is a test patch of the original color mixed 2.5 times darker. I think it still needs to be darker than that. So I think I'll go back and see what my favorite paint store can do! If I go that direction, I'll put another pix up with the "after".

• msrose
    15 years ago

Now that I see your kitchen, I'm not sure I can picture Brookside Moss in it. Did you look at Edgewood Green on "green kitchen" post. I think that would look beautiful in there. I also think mlraff's Baby Turtle would look good.

Laurie

• annie_knot
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I want to thank everyone for their input. I tracked down paint chips for most of the colors you suggested. I had this color in my head and altho I saw many gorgeous greens, some were too brown, some too blue, some too mustard. The original color is C2 Paint, color Pod. I love C2 colors so I studied those again and selected one called Outback and had them mix at 75% of full strength. It's perfect - and as Rosewind suggested, it's pretty much the same color as Pod, just quite a bit deeper/darker. Note quite sage, not quite olive, a more clear green but with some warmth. I'm very happy with the result. You all were a huge help.

• msrose
    15 years ago

Post pictures as soon as you get it painted. I'd love to see the new color!

Laurie

• dlm99
    15 years ago

Take a look at BM Louisberg green (HC- 113). I can't figure out how to post pix but I have it in my DR and just painted my Master Bedroom and Master bath with the same color. I painted ceilings Soft Fern & it looks great!

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH