Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
local_eater

Powder Room- starting

localeater
9 years ago

We will be dividing our existing combo laundry and powder room into a separate powder room and entry space, relocating the laundry.
The new powder room will be long and skinny, 36 x 116. This drawing is not accurate, as it shows the laundry stacked, but it correctly depicts the measurements.

From Mud/Powder Room

I am thinking that I would like to switch the sink and the toilet location- its a visability thing. If I do, the sink will need to be located under the ships knee of our beamwork. I can work around this, but is it a good idea?
Here is the beam work in question, the toilet is located there presently.
From Mud/Powder Room

I am thinking of a sink cabinet sort of like this:
From Mud/Powder Room

And I will probably be using these 2 tiles behind the sink as part of a backsplash, they are 8 x 12 each and I would put some sort of border around them.

From Mud/Powder Room
From Mud/Powder Room

Comments (14)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

It's confusing. Is there going to be a wall to the right of the sink as you're standing at the sink, i.e.: standing facing the toilet where it is now?

If the laundry is being relocated, why aren't you using the entire 112-1/2 X 116 space for the bathroom?

Can you make the picture a bit clearer to envision?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I would prefer the toilet under the beam than have the sink base cut around it and have it get splashed with water and such.

• localeater
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tibbs, Yes, there will be a wall there. The remainder of the space will be used for coat, backpack storage as well as feeding the dogs.

Thanks Annie, I am also thinking the sink wall will be more visually appealling if I do not have it intersected by the beam. What do you think?

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

So why not leave it as it is, with the toilet at that end and the sink at the other? It sounds like all you're doing is reversing them, which doesn't make a lot of sense. Am I still missing something here?

• sundance510
    9 years ago

Am I understanding correctly that the flooplan drawing you posted is after the renovation will be completed or is this the current setup? If so, where is the toilet currently? If all you are doing is adding a wall to create separate rooms, then I would leave everything as is. Moving a toilet can be big $$$. If this is not a concern for you then what do you mean that it's a visibility issue? Do you mean that you can see the toilet through the window? Also, are you planning on putting a mirror above the vanity? I don't think that beam would allow for that.

Sorry for all the questions. I think it's a little confusing because as far as I can tell, the pic of the bathroom is the current setup and the pic of the floorplan is what it will look like after reno. I think.

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

So basically the sink would go where the toilet paper holder is now?

With 36" wide minus, let's say, an 8" beam, you'd have room for a 24-28" wide sink cabinet. That sounds big enough to me for a powder room (given my 18" sink). I think it would look fine. It seems like you would have room for a round or oval mirror centered over the sink and with the top end close to the knee.

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

PS I love your crow tiles.

PPS question: is the photo the reverse of the drawing somehow? I'm bad spatially, but in the drawing it seems like the beam is to the right of the window and in the photo it seems like it is to the left? Or is that an old window and there's a wall going in where the window is?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Wait, I think I get it, you are already moving the toilet, correct? Changing the orientation.

So when you say you want to switch the sink and toilet location, you mean switch it on the plan, not switch things that currently exist IRL, correct?

This post was edited by mtnrdredux on Thu, May 29, 14 at 10:06

• localeater
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow- I have totally confused everyone, my apologies. I should have known better than to post when I was having fasting blood work which required me to be caffeine-free!
    Here is a picture of the current space. The plan is the future, but I was thinking of altering the plan to switch where the sink and toilet are- a 1 for 1 swap.

From Mud/Powder Room

I am leaning toward not bothering now. I think that it is 'one more thing' that I do not need to incur expense for. I also think that I can make the sink wall more attractive if it is not impacted by the presence of the beam.
    So let's get to more fun stuff. What color floor tile would you use, knowing that it will cover all the space on the plan from the arc of the front door swing over to the far left wall. The rest of the house is natural ash. The walls will probably be white. The tiles and the sink wall will be the focus of the powder room. I might do a tile rug in the space.....
    I saw a pinwheel pattern the other day where the accents were glass, I liked it. Not this color, but this pattern.

From Mud/Powder Room

• peony4
    9 years ago

I would keep the toilet where it currently is. Then, place the vanity across from it, as per your layout above.

It looks like it will be accessed by a pocket door, correct? If so, make sure the pocket door opens from the left (as you enter the PR) so that when opening, the vanity is revealed first. Is this what you mean by the visibility issue?

Otherwise, if you place the vanity on the wall with the beam, it seems you would have challenges with mirror placement.

• peony4
    9 years ago

Oh, I'm sorry. You're now asking about flooring, and have the toilet/vanity issue resolved.

Is yours a period home (I'm guessing due to the beam)? If so, your sample here doesn't seem like it would fit well (even the pattern). This space is an extension of your kitchen--what elements does it contain besides the natural ash floor that would direct you to a color?

• localeater
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Robotropolis thank you for loving my crow tiles, I love them too.

peony- I am not sure I understood about the pocket door orientation and which way it slides. Are you saying that when it is fully open it should be inside the sink wall or the toilet wall?
    I would never have thought of that!!

As far as a flooring color and integrating into the kitchen rest of house..... the house is not old, it is a contemporary post and beam with an open floor plan. It has a modern openness and an earthy vibe from the natural elements. The vast majority of the space is painted white with natural ash floors. My adjacent kitchen is stained cabinetry with painted island but the island is a neutral(to me) greenish gray. The same color, BM Providence Olive is used in the sunken sunroom. Couple of photos for the feel of the space:

From GW Photos

From GW Photos

Honestly I could go a lot of different directions with the floor, I just need to find the right one.

• edeevee
    9 years ago

I like the vanity and love the crows. I wonder if they might get lost in a backsplash/mirror wall though? What if you framed them in tile, one over the other, behind the toilet, then tiled your backsplash in complementary colors?

• pricklypearcactus
    9 years ago

I love the beamwork in your home! I think the crow tiles and vanity would work well. I'd suggest using a round or oval mirror above the vanity so that it does not interfere with the ships knee. One concern: will men mind standing up and using the toilet facing the window? I imagine it depends on the privacy of the yard.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!