Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trinintybay

Painted black chairs with light oak table

trinintybay
12 years ago

I'm having a light stained oak table built and would like to use painted black chairs with the table and at the bar. What do you think?

Comments (13)

• User
    12 years ago

What style are they?

Without seeing any pictures, I think if it were me, I'd probably want the base of the table black also.

• trinintybay
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sheesharee - I think they're called low spindle. This is furniture from the Amish.

• htnspz
    12 years ago

Not seeing pictures, I think it would be okay. If the bar is very close to the dining table and chairs, I might go in a different direction on the bar chairs.

• homersmom
    12 years ago

We have an antique table in our breakfast room paired with black chairs. It's probably more of a medium oak, but you might get an idea from the pic. We also have black counter stools.

• Dovetales
    12 years ago

I have the opposite in my dining room. I have a very dark table and then very light blond chairs. I tied it together with upholstered seats in a great animal print that had tones of both the light and dark. I love the look!

• katrina_ellen
    12 years ago

Are you going for more of a country look? That is what I am envisioning. I think the contrast could be nice if you have other elements that tie in the lighter and darker tones.

• sis2two
    12 years ago

I have an antique stained table with black chairs and I love the look. I think your oak would mix nicely with the black chairs.

• stargirl
    12 years ago

Homersmom, do you mind telling me where you found your pig chef, in the kitchen?

I'm glad to see this thread, as I am considering painting my chairs black. My table is oak also.

• oceanna
    12 years ago

Need pictures, please. I can tell you that I painted some chairs black and wow they became mega dust traps! Just my experience, I wouldn't do it again. Unless you love to dust.

• homersmom
    12 years ago

stargirl - I bought him several years ago at either Sur la Table or Williams Sonoma. He was originally all one color (kind of a fleshy color) so I painted him to go with my kitchen colors at the time. He needs an update since we did a little kitchen mini makeover a couple of years ago.

• trinintybay
    Original Author
    12 years ago

homersmom - Thanks so much for the pic. That settles the question for me. I love your look!
    oceanna - We do have an antique painted black rocking chair and I know what you mean about the dust. The table is being made by an Amish gentleman in PA and he will not start until August so I have no pics. I've seen a table he made for a friend and it is gorgeous! This six leg table (42 X 54) opens up to 16 feet with 12 leaves and has the most amazing opening mechanism. The chairs are called Bent side chair and bent arm chairs and I will order them from a store in Friendswood that carries Amish furniture.
    Sis2two - Thanks for letting me know you also have a similar combination.
    katrina ellen - well, casual but not country. We are just finishing a new build and replacing furniture after Hurricane Ike. I like different kinds of woods and styles mixed thru out our home. I don't want this home to look like we bought all the furniture at one time or built all the cabs at one time.
    Dovetales - I'd love to see a pic! Sounds beautiful.
    Thanks to everyone for their comments. They really are a great help to me.

• always1stepbehind
    12 years ago

I know you have received several responses but I came across this blog that had a picture of an oak table and black chairs and thought of your post. Here is the link--scroll down a few pictures...

http://emilyaclark.blogspot.com/

• kaybee01
    12 years ago

Very interesting idea...painting chairs black with oak table. I have a lovely harvest table with windsor chairs and have been thinking of painting them black because my dining and living area are open to each other (townhouse) and I bought a beautiful black cabinet for my flat screen tv and would like to tie in the 2 rooms...but I have an oak coloured hutch in dining area with table and wondered if it would be wise to paint hutch black or leave it oak colour. Thanks for any advice.