Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will this rug work?

Posted by Lady_West (My Page) on
Mon, May 5, 14 at 3:14

Hi, I'm back with a rug question. Quick run down of my scenario: moving to a 1920's brick bungalow, planning on going with a cozy/cottage sort of look utilizing mid century colonial maple furniture (some painted), a mix of plaids/stripes/florals. Right now I'm collecting furniture via CL, the new house is in BFE so any CL purchases need to be made now while still in the big city.

Inspiration photos
 photo room1_zpse621c564.jpg

photo room1_zpsc4bf5ee6.jpg

Some of the furniture I've purchased so far
 photo photo3_zpsa6956778.jpg

photo eaend1_zps6d78e0a0.jpg

Found a 6 x 9 Karastan run for $100. My dream rug would be the Karastan french plaid rug, but it is probably more than I'd like to spend plus I'm worried that the squares of ivory would be a disaster with my two young kids and collection of pets.

So here's the rug, I believe its 700/705 navy panel Kirkman
 photo karastanrug1_zps264cdc10.jpg

I haven't seen it in person yet. Maybe the navy is too dark, or is it actually black? I don't need rug perfection, but I don't want it to look completely wrong either. $100 for a Karastan seems like a good deal, no? It could be just a temporary rug I suppose. It will be a hassle picking this one up, involving a ferry or toll bridge at least. Is this just too formal? Sometimes it seems like orientals just fade into the background. Not sure how that's accomplished.

I tried googling similar rugs to see what I could find. Some of these photos pull off a similar inspiration look using a rug somewhat like the one in question. (okay, the first pic has a rug that is totally different, but I love the room)

photo bluecozylr_zps9de0cb19.jpg

photo plaincreamblueredlr_zpsbcdccbad.jpg

photo lr_zps4e9abaa7.jpg

So is the bargain rug worth the hassle?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will this rug work?

I like the furniture and the potential rug, but none of them look cottage to me. Especially the rug. Dark furniture and dark rugs, that's not cottage.

Cottage has more white and pastel colors. Have you thought about painting the hutch?

o

That style of rug goes with everything, and vice versa.

o

I love that rug and think you can definitely make it work.

o

It looks very English cottage, all of it and I think it all works beautifully. You just needs some lavender and pretty roses growing outside, make a pitcher of cucumber water and you will be all set.

This post was edited by patricia43 on Mon, May 5, 14 at 9:05

o

I think it can definitely work, especially if the dark color is navy. A navy, red and white scheme with a bit of green thrown in would be lovely, but agree you will def have to paint that furniture white or off white. Although you might want to paint the hutch a distressed red, like one of your inspiration pics.

o

What's BFE?

o

Annie, it's an impolite way of saying middle of nowhere

I think I will go ahead and get it. I wasn't sure, but I'm glad to see so many suggestions to go for it. Thanks.

o

I always thought it was EBF!

that's what we say around here, anyway.

o

I have pics of the same room. Is 6x9 really large enough for the living room? The dark blue is okay, it's the burgundy color that I don't find complementary. See rug in photo.

o

Nice rug, good price, hope you get it!

o

Leaning to same thoughts as beverly27's. How large is your room? The price is great. Can you use it in other rooms if it is too small? Your pictures show a much larger (almost room sized) rug.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here