Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
twingirlsmom_gw

Spray painting outdoor furniture

twingirlsmom
15 years ago

I posted this on the painting forum but thought I'd put it here as well. I would like to paint metal bistro chairs black...they are light green now. I was hoping to just spray paint them but I haven't done this before and I'm not sure if it's harder than I think it is? Do I need to do any sanding before painting the chairs? Also, for outdoor furniture, what type of paint should I buy (i.e. glossy, flat, etc)? I prefer to not have shiny furniture but I wasn't sure if different finishes hold up better ourdoors? Thanks!

Comments (24)

• primgal36
    15 years ago

My hubby has a tool that has a wire bristle brush attached to it and we used it to strip off old paint on our metal chairs, it worked pretty well.

As far as paint goes, I bought spray cans of Krylon in matte finish and laid down several big pieces of cardboard, then sprayed them, it took about 6 cans for three chairs, plus I bought several cans of Krylon matte poly, sprayed them with several coats, try to make sure to spray evenly to prevent drip marks and let them dry thoroughly. It worked out fairly well.

• wodka
    15 years ago

You'll have so much fun. Several years ago, I saw our neighbor putting out a couple of metal spring chairs for the garbage man to pick up. His wife had wanted something new, so they had to go. (Crazy woman.) I immediately ran over and asked could I have them, he said sure, and I have two more, if you'll help me. I was thrilled.

I used a wire brush to remove any of the rust and flakiness, but didn't work myself to death over it. Then laid out a plastic tarp on the driveway and sprayed away with my Rustoleum. I bought some cute cushions at Walmart and put them on my screened porch and everyone loved sitting in them. My neighbor said if he had known they were going to look that good, he never would have gotten rid of them.

I agree with the other posters' suggestions, but it's really hard to mess up. Just spray at the proper distance, nice and evenly, and you won't have any drip marks.

• cindyloowoo
    15 years ago

I painted my wrought iron patio furniture last fall. It is not hard at all. Rustoleum makes a product (I think it's called Rust Resolver) that is like a primer. It will convert any rust into a paintable surface. I'm sure they have other spray on primers if your pieces are not rusted. Then I used Rustoleum Stops Rust Multicolored Textured spray paint. It took two coats to fully cover. I made the mistake on the first chair of trying to cover everything and it went on too thick. Two light coats should be fine. I used the textured paint because I wanted to match the original finish. I think it turned out great. And it was very easy and they are holding up well so far.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rustoleum Textured Paint

• spanky_md
    15 years ago

I have spraypainted a lot of metal outdoor furniture. I use Rustoleum flat black. It does fade in color over a few years but it's so easy to re-do that I don't worry about it.

I remove any flaking rust with steel wool, then wipe down with denatured alcohol or just wash with detergent. I tried just dry-wiping the dust off but it really clings to the metal. Do it in the sun outdoors and the metal will dry very quickly. It should be as clean as possible for the new paint to adhere well. You don't want to have to repaint sooner than you have to, even if it is pretty easy to do.

What everyone else said about multiple light coats instead of one heavy one.

Examine the chairs from all angles as you go. It's easy to miss places.

You might want to get one of those devices they sell that depress the button on the spray can and make it into a gun-type sprayer. I don't know about you, but my hand cramps up when I am spraying for any length of time. I don't notice it so much while I'm spraying but as soon as I stop, it kills me.

• redbazel
    15 years ago

Really good tips above.
    I put in a link for the spray handle that you NEED if you want to do several chairs. It really saves your thumbs and it only costs a couple of bucks at Home Depot, Walmart, Ace, etc.
    Speaking of Walmart, I've used the Walmart spray paint many times for my patio furniture. It's only about $2 a can. I've used the satin finish mostly in black, no matter whether I've bought Rustoleum or the better Walmart stuff, but I also like the gloss for ease of cleaning.

A few years ago, I found two wrought iron sets, 4 chairs and a table each, at an estate sale for $15 each set. They were white and fairly rough. I cleaned them and then put a couple of light coats of black in satin finish. They came out great. This Spring, I bought gloss black to do a repeat and I really love the way they came out. If your finish is too matte, the black iron table comes out looking like a bar-b-que grill!

Red

Here is a link that might be useful: Spray Paint Handle

• Ideefixe
    15 years ago

If you don't want to bother, you might research getting a auto body shop to paint them for you. I've done this with a couple of pieces of yard sale treasures, and it's always worked well.

• laurmela
    15 years ago

This is so timely as we just did this this weekend. My neighbor bought a new set and asked if I wanted her old one. It is a Martha Stewart one with a glass top and lazy susan. Well, never one to turn down something for free!, there is no such thing as free!, I took it.

Here is the before:
    {{gwi:142146}}
    {{gwi:142147}}

After many cans of paint, we used Rustoleum Textured, we finished it yesterday just in time to use for our holiday bbQ! The cushions are from home depot.

{{gwi:142149}}

I think I got the better deal. Below is the link to the one my neighbor got! I love the fact that we recycled and have a beautiful new set. My mom will get my old set, hers is 14 years old. Recycling is great!

Toodles,

Laura

Here is a link that might be useful: kampar

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

laurella That turned out great! What color of rustoleum textured did you use? thanks

• laurmela
    15 years ago

I believe it is Autumn Brown. I will have to check the can outside.

• Happyladi
    15 years ago

They look great! I love the design on the back of the chairs. I also like the color you picked and the cushions. I like your set more then the new set your neighbors got.

• User
    15 years ago

Great job! I wish now we had not bought chairs with slings, which are difficult to put back in tightly once they've been taken out. I tried to spray one chair, covering the sling with newspaper and blue painters' tape, and it was NOT a success. When we had painters at the house doing the outside trim I had them paint it with a paint from Home Depot that is a metal primer and paint in one. We went from a faded green to a pretty bronze-y brown, and they look great. Once the slings die a natural death (probably in the next year or two) I am going to get all-metal chairs I can paint myself!

• caminnc
    15 years ago

OMG, I bet your neighbor is just sick. I like yours so much better!

• primgal36
    15 years ago

They sure turned out nicely, it's amazing what a little elbow grease can do, huh?

• zipdee
    15 years ago

Laurella, the set looks beautiful, excellent makeover!

• metromom
    15 years ago

lauraella, that looks awesome! I keep staring at my set, trying to see if it has the potential to look that good - but I have the sling seats too.

• redbazel
    15 years ago

Laura, Do NOT let your neighbor see your set! Hers is nice, but the fact that she already owned this gem and gave it away will kill her.

Red

• laurmela
    15 years ago

She has already told me she wants it back! Sorry, can't do that, I said. Her's is still in the box! Now that the sun is finally coming out around here we can enjoy it even more!

Thanks all, I think we did good!

• twingirlsmom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I haven't been able to get back on Garden Web since my initial post...finally, some GW therapy!!! Thank you all for so many great tips. I feel pretty confident that these chairs will turn out just fine since they are brand new and don't appear to need any prep work (which I'm not so good at). And the tips re: less is more approach vs. spraying too much on at once is a huge help because I'd have soaked those chairs in the 1st go around!! I am definitely going to get that spray paint handle to save my fingers. I need my pointer fingers in tip top shape with all of the pointing I do with 2 year old twins..."go over there for your time out" "your toys belong over there" etc :-)
    Lauraelle - that set turned out so great!! My chairs are a tiny project compared to the set you did. You've inspired me!! I'll try to learn how to post pics on this website and attach some before and after pics once I'm done. These pics won't be nearly as exciting as Lauraella's since it's really just 2 little chairs but at least you'll get to see what you've had a hand in helping me do :-) Thanks again.

• mtnriders4_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

I have a patio set that has glass top table and 4 swivel/rocker chairs. Over the years it has faded and has hard water stains. Can I just steel brush it and spray paint the set? Also debating whether or not to take the sling off the frame, paint and put back together. Does anyone have some good tips for me?
    Thanks,
    Heidi

• Bealady_aol_com
    12 years ago

Laura,
    It's been a few years since you posted this. How long did the paint last?

• laurmela
    12 years ago

Fast Forward almost 4 years! The paint has held up well, unless it gets nicked or something, but that is easy to fix. Now we are having problems with the webing on the chairs. They are coming loose from their slots, not sure how to fix it. Hate to get rid of them, so will try to fix. Cushions are OK, but faded, will have to look for deals on them! I am in So Cal, so we usually cover the cushions when it rains, but for the most part they are out in the elements.

Thanks,

Laura

• bevpeacock
    10 years ago

I have the same patio furniture as the pictures above and I am in the process of repainting them, well actually just getting stated and stuck on the sanding!!!! And I have some questions. First I sanded with a wire brush and then used an electric sander, still alot of rust, so then I used naval jelly (pick stuff) and its working pretty good. But my questions are, the lady at Lowes told me to use this Birds eye 123, and then the Rustoleum pant and primer all in one, But I am thinking of using the Rust reformer and then using the Rusteoleum paint and primer all in one and skipping the Birds eye 123 step and then do i have to use a clear coat too and if so what kind? this looks like a lot of work, I hate 5 chairs and big sofa and coffee table to do.

• Janet Lewandowski
    8 years ago

i have this set too & am getting ready to tackle this big job! (Sofa, coffee table, 3 rockers, dining table, 6 chairs....ugh). Did you spray the plastic on the bottom of the seats, or did you tape it off? I don't want it flaking off on the patio. Any suggestions? A new set for 12 will cost a fortune. I'm getting the cushions re-stuffed & upholstered too.