Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tnorman_gw

Kitchen Paint Colors??? See pics

tnorman
14 years ago

I would greatly welcome suggestions for paint colors. I am trying to stay away from anything drawing out the oranginess of oak cabinets. Plan to paint or stain cabinets, but not until next winter. Window treatments are being made - here is a link to the fabric (looks more gold than actually is):

http://www.calicocorners.com/product/designer+fabrics+for+the+home/shop+fabrics+by+color/rust/chrysanthemums+harvest.do

I'm looking for something calm (no yellows or reds). You will see that I tried Ralph Lauren pale cream on soffit, but too light and too yellow. Any direction appreciated!

Comments (20)

• peytonroad
    14 years ago

I would go with a wine color. It will bring the color out in the fabric and enhance the stone. good luck

• mclarke
    14 years ago

Here is your fabric:

Why not use the neutral sage green color in the fabric? It will help bring down the "orange" of the cabinets and work nicely with your granite.

I don't think burgundy will accomplish what you desire. I think it will clash with the cabinets.

For comparison, here's your cabinetry with burgundy and green. Use your hand to cover the green, and then the burgundy, and you'll see the difference. The green makes the cabinets "cooler" and the burgundy makes the cabinets more orange.

{{!gwi}}{{!gwi}}

• Bunny
    14 years ago

I don't know if it'll work with the fabric, but I prefer more sage with that oak. Wine and orange might be a bit too much. See how nice the greenery out the window looks with the current colors?

• scarlet_morgan
    14 years ago

First off, let me say that you have a really beautiful kitchen! I have the exact same granite and I love it! We have been in our new home a little over a year and still don't have a backsplash. I really like yours so I will keep that in mind when we finally get to it!

As for your paint color, I totally agree with linelle that any red or orange color will be too much with your cabinets. Those colors tend to 'draw out the orange', as you described. I strongly believe that a sage green would go perfect with your oak cabinets, your fabric and your granite/backsplash.

Here are a few inspiration pics I found for you. Please be sure to let us know what you decide!!

SW Grassland

SW Svelte Sage

SW Bamboo Shoots

BM Saybrook Sage

BM Nantucket Gray (Really not gray)

BM Aganthus Green
    BM Georgian Green

• scarlet_morgan
    14 years ago

BTW, if there is one color you are particularly interested in, I can probably find you some more pictures. Just let me know!

• mclarke
    14 years ago

Nice work, Scarlet....

• scarlet_morgan
    14 years ago

Nice work, Scarlet....

Thanks so much, Mclarke. I absolutely LOVE looking at all the pictures of all the different homes here and on other sites!! Over the last year, since we moved into our new home that my DH built, I have been in search for just the right custom colors for our home. Therefore, I've saved a lot of the photos that I like for that purpose.

When we were building, we got to the point where we had to choose our paint colors for our home. This was, of course, toward the end of the build and we had already WAY exceeded our budget. After much deliberation, we decided to go with just one wall color, one trim color and one ceiling color for the entire house in order to save money. I've never been completely happy with the choices we made, plus I never wanted the entire house to have the same colors throughout, so now we are getting ready to repaint. I am very thankful for all the photos that are posted here and on the other sites. They are such a huge blessing to me, especially since I am 100% disabled and pretty much bedridden due to a very rare and serious illness. Unlike most, I don't have the luxury of going out and getting tons and tons of paint samples to test. Therefore, I use the expert knowledge and advice I receive here and then narrow down the colors to just a few so that my DH can go and get just a couple of samples for me. Besides, it all is a huge passion of mine and I truly enjoy helping others when I can!

• juddgirl2
    14 years ago

I have the same oak cabinets, installed by the previous owner, and very similar granite. Will also be repainting soon, so am interested in the responses to your post.

Since I have a green couch in the family room attached to the kitchen, I might stay lighter and use SW Believable Buff or Oatmeal, but in the pictures posted above I definitely like the greens against the oak. A greenish tan might be a good compromise - maybe Sherwin Williams Harmonic Tan.

• scarlet_morgan
    14 years ago

Juddgirl2, there are some really nice colors that could be described as tan/khaki with green-ish undertones. Here are a few....

Behr Buffalo Grass

another Behr Buffalo Grass

BM Flowering Herbs

EK Edgewood Green

SW Universal Khaki

BM Olive Branch Camouflage

BM Bennington Gray

• tnorman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you so much for the time and the feed back!!! Beyond appreciated! As much as I love the idea of wine-colored anything, I think I need to stay away from anything that might make cabinet oranginess jump out. I have written down some of these green paint colors and will be investigating, but there is no true "green" in my curtains so I am hesitant. I have tried several BM paints (including Bennington Gray .. but just not a go). The fabric on the picture is just a little off. The backgrouond really is more of a match with BM Greenbrier beige below. I'm thinking this color might work, but wondering if there is a good complimentary color (lighter or darker) so I could use two different shades of this color to provide more visual interest (i.e. soffit and desk wall one shade and another shade for the wall going into my family room and door wall (neither of these areas are in the photo). I was also thinking of putting one of the word wall art things over the sink faucet. More ideas appreciated! Thanks gobs!

f="http://s714.photobucket.com/albums/ww144/terrinorman/?action=view¤t=MPC0007021-2T.jpg"; target="_blank">

• scarlet_morgan
    14 years ago

I don't think it matters that there isn't a 'true green' in your fabric. Most of the paints colors posted aren't really true greens anyway. If you like one of these greens posted and really want to use it as your paint color, then you could just find some art and accessories with ALL the different colors in them. Then, you can easily pull the colors all together.

I really feel like your kitchen has great bones but you just need a great color to kick it up a notch. In my personal opinion, if you go with a plain tan/beige, it won't have as much personality as it could it you give it a bit more color. From the pictures, it looks like there isn't much wall space for paint anyway. A vast percentage of the kitchen is covered in the beautiful honey wood tones (cabinets/floors). Then you have the brownish/beige colors of the granite and backsplash. I think that a beautiful shade of green would be the perfect splash of color for your kitchen. But, of course, it IS your kitchen, so find what YOU like and go for it! I can't wait to see what you do! ;0)

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

the sagey, more muted greens would be good! doesn't matter if green isn't in the fabric, it's a nature color. and it cools the wood tones. (God knows His color combos!)

along the saybrook or buffalo ones. they sort of stay in the background and cool down the orangey of the wood.

the wood of your cabs (pic 2) look a lot like mine (my future ones) but mine don't have an orangey look.

• mclarke
    14 years ago

Aside to Scarlet --

I'm sorry to hear about your illness. Thank you for bestowing your collection of photos on us. It helps so much!

Maureen

• randita
    14 years ago

scarlet_morgan, here's another nice tan with green undertones for your files (not my house, but wish it were!).

{{!gwi}}

• randita
    14 years ago

Sorry, forgot to say what the color was in the above picture - it's SW Harmonic Tan.

• marybeth1
    14 years ago

I love green! I think it would look great in your kitchen. I have BM Floweing Herbs in my kitchen and Baby Turtle in adjoining family room. They are on the same color strip.
    Flowering Herbs

Baby Turtle

• tnorman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mary Beth - I've been looking for 2 different shades of colors to try in my kitchen. Will definately be checking these out. Love them in your rooms. All other input and ideas appreciated ... thank you, thank you. Helps me to consider other possibilities.

• scarlet_morgan
    14 years ago

Aside to Scarlet --

I'm sorry to hear about your illness. Thank you for bestowing your collection of photos on us. It helps so much!

Maureen

Maureen, thank you so much for your kind words! I truly appreciate it more than you know!

scarlet_morgan, here's another nice tan with green undertones for your files (not my house, but wish it were!).

Randita, thanks so much! That is such a beautiful color. I will definite put it in my inspiration file. Thanks for thinking of me!

Hope you all had a wonderfully blessed Mother's Day!

Scarlet

• myredhouse
    14 years ago

scarlet_morgan: thank you so much for posting all those photos! BM Georgian Green is a bit of a revelation for me. I wouldn't have considered it at all, but now I'm thinking of putting it in my kitchen instead of BM Sweet Butter (a yellow I like under the poor lighting in my new kitchen, but don't love against the cabinets). It seems to be a green that plays well with BM Heavenly Blue which is what I'm painting my dining room and looks to be saturated enough to stand up in the less then ideal light of the kitchen. I'll be buying a sample this week!

• scarlet_morgan
    14 years ago

myredhouse, you are so welcome! As I stated above, it is my joy to find these pictures and post. I love to help others find just the right color for their particular project! I've had so many kind people help me through the years, so it is the least I can do! Plus, I just get a kick out of looking at all the photos. ;0)

I'd LOVE to see pictures of your project, before AND after, if you don't mind sharing. It sounds like it's going to be quite the transformation.

Have a great week!

Scarlet

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH