Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juddgirl2

Which chandelier for my dining room? Please vote!

juddgirl2
14 years ago

We're getting ready to do the wiring in our dining room and I need to decide if I want 1 large chandelier or 2 smaller ones for our 8' x 42" table. I love both of these chandeliers but am open to any other suggestions (though I'm limited on height with 8' ceilings). With this table and these chairs, do you like the first, second, or neither?

There's not a huge difference in cost of each light fixture, except using the smaller wine barrel stick chandelier would end up costing double because I think I'd need two given its small size. Am I wrong?

Besides style, one concern is the amount of wattage necessary for the 11' x 16' dining room (although we will have some recessed lighting). I believe the stick chandelier only has 1 60 watt capacity each and the iron one has 480 max wattage.

If it matters, other chandeliers in the house are a cascading antler one in the great room and another HF iron one in the foyer. Thank you!

wine barrel stick chandelier 20"H x 22"Diameter

(photo from bobointriguingobjects.com)

{{!gwi}}

oblong Hubbardton Forge iron chandelier 16"H x 43"D x 27"W

(photo from fiverivers.com)available in different finishes

{{!gwi}}

table (photo from RH website)

{{!gwi}}

chairs

{{!gwi}}

Comments (85)

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Allison - yes, the table quest - so glad that search is over! Sorry about your kitty. Maybe you can both take some cat naps today :-) I agree about the curves. I think that's what I liked so much about the first iron light - more delicate than most.

I love the pretty wood/iron fixtures, but I just caught DH before he left for work and tried to sell it again. So far, he's not feeling either one of them. Just measured my existing light fixture, and I think I'm really stuck to around 25" or so. If I went with PB, it would probably be funkyart's pretty light with the crystals.

funkyart - I can't wait to see your light with all of your other choices. DH does all the electrical in this house, and actually rewired pretty much everything so far, but he really took the time to learn how to do it. The bad part is, now I'm not allowed to hire an electrician and I have to wait for him to find free time for my honey-dos!

newdawn - thank you! That's actually my newly added foyer, but with the doors it does give a better idea of the different styles in the house. Unfortunately, the dining room is in the older part of the house, so I may lose some of the impact with the lower ceilings, but it does have a new large triple window and a french slider so hopefully it will all come together. One question - when you voted for #2, was that the first #2 or from the latest photos I posted?

mimi - I think I will play with the photo a bit. For what it's worth, all of my sisters have voted for that one also. Of course, they don't get my fixation with decorating so they might have just been trying to get me to shut up about lights already :-) I am so thankful for everyone here's opinions because all of you "get" it!

• suero
    14 years ago

If you could find the iron circle with one tier in an oval, I think it would be perfect. I also think that two hurricane lamps would look great.

• newdawn1895
    14 years ago

I was talking about the original number#2 but after looking at the second #2 again, I think I like that one better. It looks very similiar to the one Allison suggested, a stunner.

• pbrisjar
    14 years ago

Oh man that new #2 is so pretty. It looks like it goes well with your "look", too.

• suero
    14 years ago

I don't know the size of the second chandy 2, so I'm guessing at the proportion of it to the table. I think it has more presence and will look really good.

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

suero - that looks so pretty! Actually, they all do in the mock-ups so I think my decision is just getting harder :-)

What type of photo editing software do you use? I'd love to purchase one and learn how to use it.

• bellaflora
    14 years ago

juddgirl: they are from circalighting.com

I believe no 2 comes in different finish.

I like no 2. from today's choice too. I think the curve matches the chair's back very well.

• allison0704
    14 years ago

That does look good, if the proportions are correct.

• suero
    14 years ago

I checked the size of the chandy on the web site, and the proportions are correct. I guessed well ;-)

• lv_r_golden
    14 years ago

That does look good.

You can just picture the fresh flowers and settings on that table. The room will be great.

Suero, you are SO good with the photos. Can you "set" the table?

• newdawn1895
    14 years ago

Gosh I would love to have a best friend like Suero, how sweet of you.

• suero
    14 years ago

Thank you. It's fun to do, and a lot cheaper than actually decorating my own house!

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Suero - I just responded to your email. Thank you so much for taking the time to mock up those pictures. It definitely puts the lights into a better perspective for me, and the last one is now on my short list!

bella - thank you for the lighting info. I found it!

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm really leaning towards the chandy in the last mock-up done by suero, but the website doesn't give any info as to the material and such. Since I have many HF fixtures and know they're forged iron and great quality, I checked for something similar and found this one (tried to post pic but it comes out huge like my others).

It's a bit more narrow and doesn't have the chic glass ball on the bottom, but still pretty, no? Shown in black but I would order the lighter bronze or mahogany finish.

I know I'd be happy with either and I'm sure this is beating a dead horse, but does anyone care to vote for one or the other? Then I'll be done :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Hubbardton Forge light

• bellaflora
    14 years ago

Hi jgirl: Bellacor also carried the light. It gives a bit more information (Designed by Eric Cohler, made by Visual Comfort).

Bellacor has free shipping on items over 75$, no restocking fee & price match. (this sounds like spamming LOL) :-D

The only finish I can see on the bellacor site is antique brass. Not as dark as you want. Circalighting shows other finish (antique brass, antique silver & bronze).

Maybe your DH wants something a bit more rustic?

Oh, here's the link to bellacor.

Here is a link that might be useful: bellacor double twist chandelier

• funkyart
    14 years ago

Morning, all! I like both of the last ones shared-- the one suero mocked up (great job!) and the HF one you found. I very much prefer the one suero mocked up because of the extra width (9"-- not a small difference). I think it is a better scale for the table and looks more dramatic. It does what your original option #2 did for the table but keeps true to the style of your room.

I would definitely go for one of the darker finishes though.

• Kathleen McGuire
    14 years ago

Though they are different, I would love to see something similar to these! Either of these can be found through any lighting source I'm sure. Love the match of the French Lantern with the rustic quality of the table. Depending on the size of the lantern, two of these hanging over the table would look great! Love the whole look! The second I like because I think the oval shape would work well with the size of the table and I like the juxtaposition of rustic and traditional modern. Just another thought...
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

good morning!

funky - I agree the scale of the first is much better with the table. If I went with the HF fixture, I would seriously consider using 2 lights. Maybe I could be so lucky to have suero take the time to work her magic, if she reads this, and do one last mock-up of 2 of the HB lights over the table so I can compare? It would be so nice of her and I would be her BFF forever (quoting my 5 year old here!)

bella - thank you for the link. Maybe I can call one of the distributors and get more info on the material used, or even a picture of one in the bronze. This is definitely my favorite, for both the style and size - just nervous at spending the $$ w/out seeing it in person. What if it's a shiny, brassy bronze?! I have nothing shiny in my entire house :-)

kmc - that first lantern is very much like one I'm looking at for my exterior entry! I like the second one too. It resembles the black iron circle light above that the designer recommended. My only concern is that it while it definitely suits the table/chairs, it might not complement the painted English cupboard/hutch I'll likely use in the room.

• suero
    14 years ago

Here's the two HF chandys.

• threedgrad
    14 years ago

Two HF chandys are too many chandys - 1 is the correct number of this size chandelier, IMO

• suero
    14 years ago

You could do what DH and I do -- have dinner by candle light. Or have recessed lighting on a dimmer around the room perimeter and have a single chandy over the table.

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Suero - you are very, very, kind and generous to take the time to mock up that photo for me. I tried it on paper, and it looked to me like 2 chandys might look too crowded, but it's so hard to tell with pencil and paper. We are going to have some recessed lighting in the room also, and dinner by candlelight sounds pretty good to me!

threed - I agree. One chandy is the right number.

I do have to say that I like both of those very much (although each in a bronze finish), so I'll have to decide which to get. At least DH can get started on the wiring!

Again, thank you suero and everyone for your help!

• funkyart
    14 years ago

I don't think you can wrong with either chandelier. Your room is going to be stunning..

• bellaflora
    14 years ago

Here are some more to look at...in wrought iron/darker finish.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

I chose the ones that I think would look great w/ the chairs (which are more feminine than the table). Afterall, when put together, the chairs' backs would be what you see.

• oceanna
    14 years ago

I like Bellaflora's first ont best. I definitely like the black wrought iron to counterbalance that beefy table.

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh, I think I like #3 and #4 best from the ones bella just posted. The third one looks like real candles - I had to look twice to make sure it was electric!

I've been emailing a sales rep at circalighting about the one with the crystal ball on the bottom that bella posted before. The rep said it comes in an oil rubbed bronze and it's gorgeous. It's made out of brass, and if it's a nice solid brass then I think it may be the one. Simple but feminine, not too formal, and the scale is just right with the table.

• susan209
    14 years ago

Love Bella's 3rd one above and 2nd one isn't bad either.
    Number 5 of Judd's is good too. My favorite after going over them some more is #3 as stated of Bella's above.
    Good luck to you with your choice.
    Susan

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Love #3 of Bella's last set. #1 picks up on your chairs nicely also.

• allison0704
    14 years ago

Another vote for #3.

• bellaflora
    14 years ago

I like the double twist w/ crystal ball too. And if it comes in oil rubbed bronze it would be fantastic. The details on that chandelier is amazing.. .It has that special designer touch. :-) Not so ubiquitous iFYWIM.

My friend has bought chandeliers from circa before and she likes their service. Their collections of chandelier always make me drool! :-)

no. 3 is from chandelier universe. And it's expensive (like 2.5K) :-D

Here is a link that might be useful: chandelier universe

• allison0704
    14 years ago

LOL Figures. I always pick out the most expensive thing from a group.

Sometimes, it's worth it to spend a bit more than planned (if you can) for something that won't change (like light fixtures). Based on days you'll spend in the house, it will be pennies. ; )

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yikes - 2.5K is definitely out of my budget! I, too, always pick the most expensive thing from a group. As my former general contractor like to tell me - I have expensive tastes. Too bad I don't have the checkbook to match! I do like to buy quality things when I can afford it and when I can find a great deal, because I usually end up keeping them forever. If I liked to change things up more often, then I'd probably shop much differently.

The chandy from circalighting costs a bit more than my original #2, but much less than two of my original #1, so it's a good middle ground and I think it will be just right in the rubbed bronze finish.

I love the crystal ball, because it's pretty enough for me but not something DH will object to - unlike some of the lights with more crystals or beads. He has an aversion to crystals after having lived with the gaudy brass and crystal 70's chandy in our bathroom (which is still there, unfortunately - the bathroom remodel isn't even on the radar this year).

Thank you to bella for finding my light and suero for showing me how it will look with the table!

• allison0704
    14 years ago

Have you ever looked at 1st dibs.com? They have exquisite fixtures. As DH always says, you can always make a low offer. You never know what a dealer will take.

You have to register to view prices, but you don't get lots of emails from them. Here is one I found on page one. It won't work for you (way too big), but you can see you get quality and fixtures not found elsewhere. This one is $2800.

Here is a link that might be useful: 1st dibs

• allison0704
    14 years ago

Here's one I saw today in an ad in the new Architectural Digest. 1920s European. 29.5" heigh. 29" diameter. $2600. See link for more detailed photos.

Here is a link that might be useful: 1st dibs - Revival Antiques

• allison0704
    14 years ago

What about this one? Long and less. 30" H x 23.5" D x 36.5" L 10th century France. $1950 - not wired for U.S. but I've had sconces rewired locally and it is not expensive:

Here is a link that might be useful: Marsh Garden Decor Chandelier

• les917
    14 years ago

I think a pair of these over the table would be great. The shapes on the candles and the base of the chandy feel similar in weight and shape to the legs of the table, and yet there are simple curves to compliment the chairs.

Skyline Coffee Bronze and Antique Brass Chandelier

• Lyban zone 4
    14 years ago

My turn to get my pick in.
    I really like this one from Circalighting.
    It is 41 inches wide so a bit bigger than the one you are looking at, and I think it goes better with the table.
    About the same price and comes in black with rust which I thik would be nice.

{{!gwi}}

• taliaferro
    14 years ago

I'm a bit late, but if you're still shopping, have a look at these ->

Isa Chandelier by Oly Studio:

{{!gwi}}

and Manning by Arteriors Home (currently on ebay for $999):

Here is a link that might be useful: Arteriors Home fixture

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm posting quickly because DH is waiting outside for me to help him stain our window trim (fun!) but wow - those are all great lighting fixtures!

Allison - I am on 1stdibs email list, although I've never bid on anything. Never thought of offering less than the asking amount though. I really love the last one that you posted.

les and lyban - those would both go with the style in my home. I don't usually prefer shades, but will look further into these lights once I can log on later.

Talia - those are very, very nice. I don't know how I missed them in my earlier search for a reclaimed wine barrel style light. They might be a bit contemporary for me, especially since I have an open floor plan, but they both definitely complement the table. Since you have the almost same table, I'm definitely seeing #1 in your dining room!

• allison0704
    14 years ago

Did you find a chandelier? I think you should go with iron, but I just saw this one and thought of you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Low Country Chandelier

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Allison,

I really like the Low Country Chandelier! An iron one probably would be better, since I have a lot of the same wood tones going on in my small dining room, but the style is perfect for my table and chairs.

So far, the double twist in bronze that bellaflora posted is the front-runner. I've since set a budget for myself of +- $500 for a fixture because I've found the perfect head/foot slip covered armchairs at Calico Corners (the Cecil chair) that I'm now saving for, and I shouldn't splurge on both. If I can get the designer's discount through a friend for the double-twist fixture at Bellacor, then that would be perfect.

Thanks for thinking of me and posting the site. If you come across any others, please let me know since I still have some time to decide now that I know we're just using 1 light (dh is starting the wiring next week - yay!) and I do love your style.

• allison0704
    14 years ago

Not $500, but 36" high. ;) By Currey and Company. Squire Chandelier

Here is a link that might be useful: Squire Chandelier

• allison0704
    14 years ago

63" wide x 29" high, but I don't think it's big enough for your table:

Currey and Company, Saxon

Here is a link that might be useful: Saxon

• allison0704
    14 years ago

I was reading BH&G Beautiful Homes and there was a Currey and Company chandelier I wanted to show you. Must be discontinued as it's not on their website (or the one I'm using to link). Figures.

They show this one as a less expensive substitute. The length/height is what you're after, but I still don't think it's chunky enough for you:

Here is a link that might be useful: Cheshire fixture

• allison0704
    14 years ago

What about 2 or 3 of these? Blows your budget, but I love this look with your table/chairs:

Here is a link that might be useful: Oberon fixture

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh, I really like the Oberon! I was looking at some Hubbardton forge shade fixtures, but they seemed too contemporary, whereas the Oberon has that beautiful metal detail that makes it more rustic. Unfortunately, (or fortunately, since these would blow my budget - and I already bought the Calico dining chairs) DH already wired the room for one light so I'll need to find a chandelier.

I do like the Saxon, and seem to be drawn to these delicate iron fixtures. It reminds me of the first chandy that I posted, which I've seen found with water glass shades (have those in my foyer and love them) and a mahogany iron finish. I think it changes the look quite a bit from the light with the black iron and saffra glass shades in the first photo.

Here is a link that might be useful: iron chandy in mahogany with water glass

• allison0704
    14 years ago

Didn't realize he had wired for one fixture already. I love the Oberon. ;)

Did you order samples from HForge? If not, do. They are quick to send. One word of caution; many of their chandeliers come with OR without glass shades. If you EVER MAY want to use glass shades, order the one that says "with shades." I didn't for our breakfast room and when I went back to see about ordering some, the chandelier will not except glass shades. :(

Can't wait to see the room pulled together.

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes - dining and living room are now wired for recessed lighting and ceiling fixtures, and he's now moving on to the kitchen. Did I mention he's also ripping out walls and ceilings as he goes? My house is a mess, most of my furniture is in storage, and I can't wait for the drywall contractor to get here next week to close up at least some of the rooms!

I do have several HF lights in different finishes (can't wait to see my kitchen pendants installed!), but of course none in the mahogany. I've always ordered from Five Rivers and will definitely ask if they or HF will send some sample finishes if I decide to go with this one.

Thanks so much for the tip on the glass shades. All of my HF fixtures I have now came with shades and I never even thought that some might not accommodate them later.

• kimmieb
    14 years ago

I love, love, love your chairs and future table together. What about lantern(s) like KMCG suggested? That really would look great. I also love the French iron one that Allison suggested it is awesome. The original 2 you posted where nice but, just not nice enough or large enough for your furniture. That

I also like this one:
    {{!gwi}}

and this one also from Circa

{{!gwi}}

IMO this one that you guys were discussing is too modern. I also was looking at it and saw in real life and it is more transitional in style and modern. Just my thought
    {{!gwi}}

So much great advice everyone is giving.

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

kimmieb - those are both gorgeous chandeliers! Thanks so much for posting them.

Unfortunately, I've already tried to convince DH and can't get him to buy off on anything this ornate. Also, I know they would definitely go with the style of the chairs and table, but I also have a mix of rustic iron and leather throughout the house (my love for early American and English antiques mixed with DH's fondness for the "Old West" has resulted in me aiming for "English hunting lodge") so I think I need to tie this look in to the shabby chic dining room somehow so everything flows.

I can't use lanterns because I'm now wired for one center fixture and need more light, and I understand your comment regarding the last fixture maybe being too contemporary, which is perhaps why I've held off ordering it. I'd be getting the antique bronze finish, but it's hard not seeing it in person.

The 8' ceiling height is limiting, but I do agree the size of the table needs something with mass. At the same time, I'd like to find an iron chandelier that's pretty and delicate, yet rustic. It's hard to find one that's not too massive, or Spanish, or Mediterranean, etc. Sigh . . . hopefully, one will come to me :-)