Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dave_williams_gw

Combining living area and dining area?

dave_williams
9 years ago

I just moved into a new 1 bedroom apartment. I like to have dinner parties with around 10 guests. Over the course of the evening we cook, eat dinner, talk, drink, sing karaoke, etc. I am trying to decide how to arrange my living area to create the best space/atmosphere for these parties.

Here is the empty apartment:

Full size images:

http://imgur.com/a/NmMF9

As you can see, there is a hanging lamp in front of the kitchen, where a small dining table would typically go, but I would need a big dining table since I like to have many guests.

Here are some options I see:

(a) Put a large dining table in front of the kitchen, so that when you walk in the front door you are facing the dining table. Use the living area near the window for sofa/lounge area, etc.
(b) Put a dining table near the window
(c) Have the area near the window be a combined living/dining area, with a low coffee table, and sofa/chairs around it.
(d) Something totally different, like putting my bed in the main living area and using the bedroom for socializing. If I could make this work, it's not out of the question since I'm not that privacy conscious.

By the way, it would be nice if I could use the area below the hanging lamp as extra counter space for cooking.

Here are some pics of my previous apartment:

http://imgur.com/a/OKWb3

The coffee table also served as the dining table, with some people sitting on the couch and some sitting on chairs around the table. Ergonomically, the coffee table is not that great for dining, but I liked how I only needed one space for socializing and dining. We didn't have to move between sofa and table when it came time to eat, which seemed to create seamless transitions between activities.

Wondering what folks here think of this type of arrangement.

This post was edited by dave_williams on Thu, May 29, 14 at 22:39

Comments (14)

• User
    9 years ago

I'm sorry Dave but your links don't work for me. They take me to your photo site but the pictures don't display.

In general, I would caution against putting your bed in the living room and sing the bedroom for parties, not only for issues of privacy but of practicality. Most living rooms are bigger than bedrooms anyway.

If you can figure out how to post your photos here there are some space planning GW gurus who could probably help you out. Good luck and congrats on your new apt!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Congrats on the new apartment! Wahoo! You have a separate bedroom now...I would use it as such and keep the public area public.

It's hard to tell without dimensions, but I would suggest getting a small cafe style table to put under the light fixture, bar height with stools so it can be used as extra work surface in your kitchen or serving space. Then add the sofa, TV and more seating to the LR area. You might consider getting a convertible coffee table that becomes a dining table for the middle of the LR....that may help you accommodate your guests.

You might go to homestyler.com and lay your room out there and try out various pieces and sizes for furniture placement. It will help a lot before you go ahead and buy something....

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to apt pics

• camlan
    9 years ago

I'd consider putting the dining table near the window. The table would have leaves and/or a drop leaf, so that when there are no guests it takes up less room, but can be expanded for company. There are many varieties of folding chairs that are both attractive and comfortable these days.

Or there's something I've seen in a few decor books, and that's a dining table with a sectional sofa. You have to be careful about both the height of the sofa and the height of the table. Basically, you use the dining table as the coffee table. The sectional provides "bench" seating on two sides and you use armchairs or wooden chairs on the other two sides. This would depend on how you typically use your living room. If you want to be able to prop your feet up on the coffee table, this wouldn't work.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

I don't know what your budget is, but the company I'm linking has some of the most interesting space saving/convertible furniture I've seen. I'm only familiar with it from the web. I've never seen it in person. Here's one of their tables, but they have convertible coffee tables, too.
    {{!gwi}}

Then, there are these kind of table. The act as a console table most of the time, but can be extended for a dinner party. This one is from Brookstone.

Here is a link that might be useful: Resource Furniture

• dave_williams
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the replies so far!

@kswl: Sorry the links didn't work for you. I edited my post to embed the pics directly.

@AnnieDeighnaugh: thanks for the suggestions. The convertible table is a great idea. I will also check out homestyler.com.

@camlan: the sectional sofa + dining table idea is good. Having couches will make it comfortable for relaxing.

@Fun2BeHere: will check out those convertible pieces!

• dave_williams
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is an update. I plan to get a large dining table (enough to seat 8+ people), in front of a sofa that I would place along the wall on the right of this picture:

Many couches don't aren't suitable for dining because they are much lower than the dining table and force you into a reclined position. So, I am thinking of something more like a banquette/upholstered wall bench. I am inspired by these pictures:

I will see if I can find these at a furniture store, since the ones in the above pictures look like they are built into the house. I might get 2 of them, to go on different sides of the dining table. For seating around the rest of the table, I already own many of these folding chairs, which maybe I can use:

What do folks here think of this? I'm a rookie at interior design. I want a decor that will make guests say "wow", so I'm curious for your opinions.

I'm also looking for color ideas. As you can see in my original post, the main colors in the apartment are (1) faded blue/gray wallpaper, (2) very light wood on the walls/kitchen, and (3) light/medium wood on the floors. I am thinking to match the dining table with (2), and to match my sofa with the color of the brown chairs. Any other ideas?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

You are definitely on the right track that if you can't build out, build in and build up as a space saving technique.

The problem with normal banquette style seating is it's not a sofa and isn't comfortable as such. So the question is which function is used most frequently? If you want to lie about and watch tv then the banquette is not going to work for you. If you are going to have it custom made, then perhaps you can find a compromise that will be more like a sofa that sits high enough to use at a dining table...probably need to have extra back cushions for dining which can be removed for lounging. It's all a matter of proportions.

• dave_williams
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Annie! My friends and I will mostly be eating meals, having drinks, singing karaoke, etc. Not much watching TV or resting. So I think the banquette would indeed be a good fit.

I am thinking of getting the Koinor Bronx "dinner sofa":

The back of the long side fits the length of my living room wall, and the short side would have its back to my apartment's entrance area. (The tan cabinet in the photo will be removed to make space.)

What do you think?

• juliekcmo
    9 years ago

I think that overall it is a good idea/look

But more practically I think the actual table surface area is too small, and the table is always in 1 size, which is less versatile.

Adore the folding chairs with the woven seats.

Would recommend a library style table, but with leaves. This gives the most versatility both now and in the future. A table in that style will have a place in any residence. And a table that can be used as a desk (rectangular) pushed up against a wall is the most versatile style.

Suggest looking on Houzz for libraries for ideas. Google library tables and refractory tables.

Would you consider a full window bench under the window? It could be as simple as a line of Ikea over the fridge cabinets on the floor ( with or without feet) topped with upholstered plywood on top? This would offer storage, and minimal skills would be needed to make this.

• Elraes Miller
    9 years ago

I have a sofa table with flip out leaves. They fold over the top. There are many styles to choose from. This table has been great for save room and using it for both dining and other activities. It is quite large when opened. Run an image search on flip top Tables, there are all types of styles.

• erinsean
    9 years ago

No advice but a question...can you remove the half wall/storage unit by the front door entrance? That will give you the illusion of a bigger room. I would then (if removal is possible) put your couch on the right wall (as you come in the door) with TV across from it and the dining table/chairs in front of the window. You will be able to pull your dining table out to seat more people. End tables, lamps and accessories will make your apartment homie.

• dave_williams
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much to everyone who gave advice. I incorporated people's suggestions into the below floor plan:

(Image URL: http://i.imgur.com/WgEIWjz.png)

- Banquette: I am thinking of getting something made in the style of the Koinor Bronx "dinner sofa" in the image I posted above, except longer, not in an L shape, and without arms (since I figure that will make it easier for people to get in & out and prevent it from getting in the way of the table.

- Table: Hoping to find a good model with leaves, which several people here have recommended. Also want to get one with legs in the middle (with a heavy metal bottom), rather than at the corners, to make it easier for folks to get in and out. Or maybe a glass table that has a level beneath where I can put my trinkets?

- Window area: going to research the window bench idea that was suggested, or maybe a side table, etc.

Thoughts?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I guess it's a lifestyle thing, but I need a sofa or I'm not happy.

If you want to look at banquettes, do a google search on "candice olson banquette". She has done quite a few on her show as part of dining room design.

• madeyna
    9 years ago

Another thought since the space is small but you need lots of table space is a set of three card tables. Leave one at all the time and bring the other two out as needed. They are flexable enough that you could use them in fun different configurations and use the seating you already have as well as the new couch. Card tables don,t have to be low end. My mother has one that has a black leather top and silver mcm looking legs. She has had that thing at least 50 years but I am sure someone is still making nice ones. When not in use the legs fold up and they fit flat under a bed.