Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oceanna_gw

How do you store your dog food?

oceanna
15 years ago

I'm feeling inspired by Allison's garage pictures.

I buy my dog food in 40# bags, and empty them into a garbage-bag lined trash can. Then I scoop the food out and store a portion of it upstairs on top of the fridge in a bucket. Handy, but not very attractive. Do you have a better idea?

Comments (26)

• juddgirl2
    15 years ago

We have ours in the eat-in kitchen inside a half wine barrel "table" thing. We lined it with a garbage bag, and it holds the entire 40 lb bag of food. It's also handy, since we use it as an end table against the couch arm it's close to the rear door where we feed our dog, but I'm tired of the look so hoping you get a lot of great answers!

• angeldog
    15 years ago

I keep ours in the laundry room in one of those plastic things from Walmart that looks like a short 2-drawer chest. One drawer cant hold all of a 40 lb bag, but the 2 drawers together easily can. It's white and the drawers are kind of clear. I also put a laundry basket on top of it for clothes to be washed. I dont love it, but it works. Hope to see some better ideas on this thread.

• allison0704
    15 years ago

Oceana, I divide a 40lb bag into two of those containers. They are not inexpensive, but will last forever. I also keep a Rubbermaid cereal container in the laundry room for inside dogs and only refill it once a week. Easy to pour too. :D

Dry cat food goes/went in the bottom garage container, but I've recently had one come down with steroid induced diabetes so I've changed them to canned (high protein/low carb).

The thing about the ones in my garage; the lids fit tight so you don't have to worry about food going bad or bugs after you pour it up (even with our hot/humid summers) and the outside of the containers clean up easily.

• Sueb20
    15 years ago

We keep the large bag in the basement, and two tupperware-type containers (they're like big jugs, maybe gallon size -- with tops that open) in the mudroom closet -- the dogs' bowls are in the mudroom. We just re-fill the plastic containers every week or so.

• aleighjc
    15 years ago

We use a tall plastic container on wheels stored in a closet. Another idea I've liked if I didn't have that closet handy is a wooden trash can with a lid,

here is one:
    http://www.sturbridgeyankee.com/utility-bin/p/10991

I have ordred a few lamps from this company too, they have great customer service (broken lamp shade came..) and fast shipping.

• Oakley
    15 years ago

Our dogs eat Pedigree, and it comes in it's own ziplock bag which is really handy. Since I have a large broom closet now, I'll keep the food in the bag, in the closet.

• kfca37
    15 years ago

In our "formal-but-not-very" dining room.

A few years ago I found a dark stained tall wicker hamper at Pier One, which is lined in white cotton. However, since a 40 pound bag of dog food, bag & all, fits in it perfectly, the lining was a nice touch, but not really necessary. It looks quite stylish.

• lucillle
    15 years ago

I used to use a large plastic covered container, the kind one can buy at Home Depot. But since I've switched to raw, I put their food in a small chest freezer and thaw two days at a time.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    15 years ago

Our dog and cat food both are stored in the pantry, which is just a few feet away from the food dish for the dog. Out of sight but handy to get to.

• pammyfay
    15 years ago

It's in a tall plastic rectangular-shaped container with wheels, sold at PetSmart specifically for holding the dog food (and the right size dog food bag), and shoved into the hallway closet (right across from the kitchen). I think it's important to consider that ants and other bugs can get into the dog-food bags.

• groomingal
    15 years ago

I use Solid Gold food and they recommend storing the food in the bag it comes to you in. I buy a large bag and just fill a small plastic food container with enough for the week and keep it in the kitchen cabinet. I seal the bag back up well with clips and a strip of tape.

Please make sure you use food grade containers to store pet food in- other plastic type containers, etc. can contain chemicals that can contaminate pet food.

• marzhere
    15 years ago

I'm guessing that most responses are from people with larger dogs than mine (two 10 lb mini doxies, they eat a total of 1 cup of dry kibble a day, lol)...

I store their dog food in a canister that sits on the counter. The remainer stays in the bag and is stored in the hall closet.

• neetsiepie
    15 years ago

I have an 18 gallon rubbermaid bin with lid that holds the entire 40 lb bag. I use a smaller one for the cat food and it holds nearly 25lbs.

I have a corner base cabinet in my kitchen and the bins fit in there perfectly. I hung two scoops on the inside of the door and can scoop out their food when I need it.

• golddust
    15 years ago

In a tall cabinet in my laundry room/mud room, next to the kitchen. After we found a rat (!!!) had slipped in, I went to Petsmart and bought a plastic bin that holds 40 lbs. I just open the bin from the front and scoop it out, slap it shut, close the door and I'm done.

Out of sight, but we put the wall of cabinets in with that in mind so we planned it out.

Good idea about the wicker basket! Way to get creative.

• patricianat
    15 years ago

I live in the south where rodents and and roaches love nothing better than getting into petfood. I put our dogfood and catfood in fridge in mudroom: dogfood placed in 4 containers which lasts about 4 weeks, one container about a week; cat food, one smaller container. Do the same with their treats. They are either rubbermaid or some reasonable facsimile thereof.

• donnawb
    15 years ago

I use to buy the 40 lb bag and bought the clear rectangler container from Petsmart. I was having a hard time carrying it so gave that to a friend and bought one for 20 lbs. I put the dog food in the container bad and all. I keep it in my pantry.

• oceanna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the ideas, everyone. It looks like I should visit Petco and check out their containers. Allison is that where you got your containers too? Kfca, the hamper sounds like a great idea, and I'll bet something will show up on CL. Aleighjc, I really like those wooden bins.

I think maybe I'm going to switch to buying 25 lb. bags instead of 40 lb. I don't have a mudroom or pantry, or any good place upstairs to store much food. And I'm sure not going to carry a 40 lb. bag up the stairs. It's all I can do to get it out of my car and carry it across the garage these days.

I know what I wish I had, ideally... a storage cube with wheels that doubles as seating, and isn't ugly, and has a food safe liner. Cool, huh? But I have no idea where to get one or how to make one.

• golddust
    15 years ago

Way cool idea, really way cool. You should explore your idea more.

• groomingal
    15 years ago

oceanna- maybe you could experiment with an old toy box??? I don't know if they make them anymore with the tops the kids could sit on and had the little railing on the back and the sides?

You could put wheels on it and get the large cake/casserole rubbermaid pans or something similar and stack them in it. One up it and make some handy little hanging bags to go on the side to store pet supplies or pet toys in.

Pet Edge has some different type of food storage containers.

Here is a link that might be useful: pet food containers

• Jeannine
    15 years ago

I usually put Baxter's food in a rolling plastic storage bin that stays in the laundry room/pantry.

However, last time I ordered some food, the store (K9 Cuisine) didn't have the big bags, so they sent me a bunch of little ones. They're taking up an entire shelf right now!

• allison0704
    15 years ago

Yes, mine came from Petco.

Here's one linked below from Drs Foster and Smith. The SMALL holds 40lbs. Medium, 65. Cost less than those I have. No wheels though. ;D

Here is a link that might be useful: drs foster and smith container

• desertsteph
    15 years ago

I have one like in allison's link.

anyone know if that one fits into one of those corner cabs? (in place of a lazy susan). I'm still trying to figure a logical use for that corner.

• pupwhipped
    15 years ago

In another thread, someone? suggested the ones I've linked below. I don't have them but I am considering them. Just haven't found the right spot where I think they would fit. They are kinda different.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wood pet food containers

• oceanna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Golddust and Groominggal (thanks for the suggestions), I think they do make storage cubes. And putting the wheels on would be easy. The tricky part would be the food-safe liner. And I would like that liner to have a handle for easy lift-out for pouring into bowls, and getting the last drop of old before adding new.

Jeannine, you're lucky you have that much free shelf room. The little bags are a lot easier to handle!

Allison, thanks for the link. That's probably what I should use in my garage if I'm to keep on getting the big bags, at least. That's a great price!

Maybe with the smaller bags I could find a way to have only one location... in my kitchen... but I'm going to have to carry those bags up the stairs.

Desertsteph, I love corner cabs, they are so cute! I hope you can work something out.

Pupwhipped, those are deffinitely cute for a garage or pantry. I wish they would tell how many lbs. of dog food each size would hold.

• luckygal
    15 years ago

Recently saw posted a metal garbage can with a round plywood top covered with a floor length cloth. Great hidden storage for dog food or almost anything. Posting a link that tells "how-to" altho it's not the pic I originally saw.

We have one dog and three cats and live in a cold climate so the dry food stays in the bags in our attached garage. Never had a problem. I need a new "in-house" system tho as have clear glass containers filled with enough food for a few days sitting on the counter. Not very decorative. Maybe a nice opaque canister would look better. Too busy gardening to care what my house looks like right now!

We store the black oil sunflower seeds for the wild birds in a large garbage can in the garage. Would probably work for dog food also.

Here is a link that might be useful: trashcan sidetable

• jsginbuffalo
    15 years ago

We discovered that our old diaper pail holds a 20-lb bag nicely, and it has a lid that seals tightly. From that we refill a smaller plastic container that stays in the family room where the dog's dish is. Dog biscuits are in a cookie jar we weren't using for cookies.