Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pipdog_gw

The Bright Orange curtains are up!

Pipdog
12 years ago

As promised, here are a few photos of the orange curtains that GW'ers encouraged me to try. I'm really glad I went bold on the color - it provides the room with depth and warmth which is a nice contrast to the cool hue on the wall. And I like how the diamond shapes in the pattern of the fabric plays off the diamond shapes in the bay window in the adjacent room. Not too bad for inexpensive fabric I initially discovered at Wal-Mart!

{{!gwi}}

Comments (76)

• forhgtv
    12 years ago

Looks terrific!

• gobruno
    12 years ago

LOVE IT! Could you please post pictures of the rest of your house? Please?

• Verti
    12 years ago

Orange is my favorite color so I love love love those curtains! What a great idea to use a duvet cover. The whole room is gorgeous!

• hoosiergirl
    12 years ago

Ingenious! I love your home! (My favorite part is the birthday balloon at the ceiling, LOL! Too cute!)

• robin_DC
    12 years ago

Those look great!

• powermuffin
    12 years ago

Very innovative use of duvet covers! They look wonderful in your room.
    Diane

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    12 years ago

You have made a beautiful room look so easy!
    Which is hard to do!:)

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    12 years ago

My sister is creative like you, pipdog. The gene regretfully passed me. You do beautiful, clever work.

• jockewing
    12 years ago

Looks fantastic. I think the thin rod is perfect and looks very designerish. What is that wall color again?

• Pipdog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks - I like the thin rod too - we have the same rod (from Bed Bath + Beyond) all over our house (bedrooms, dining room) and I wanted to keep it consistent. It's oil-rubbed bronze which matches the door hardware and the knobs on the bookcase.

The paint color is Pumice by RH. It reads light blue in our house, but is in the "grey" family.

I'm waiting for the birthday balloon to deflate and fall to the floor. It's been up there for 2 weeks after my daughter's bday party! I'm too lazy to get a ladder from the garage and retrieve it. :)

• biochem101
    12 years ago

Stunning!

Never would have thought the phrases "The Bright Orange Curtains are up!" and "Tres Chic" would go together.

You certainly do have an eye for design.

• itltrot
    12 years ago

I love it! I wish you'd come decorate my house! I agree with the others we need more pictures of your awesome house!

• pupwhipped
    12 years ago

Perfection, really. Your Wally inspired purchase reminds me of that saying, "If I drop dead in Wal-Mart, someone drag my ass over to Neiman Marcus." Your curtains are very "Neimanish" and not Wally World at all...not that there's anything wrong with that. LOL!

Great room all around.

• donnawb
    12 years ago

They are perfect for your room as I knew they would be. I love orange and have it in my living and dining room with turquoise also.

• Meghane
    12 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous.

• ummm
    12 years ago

very nice!! how funny, looks like this room i just saw on a blog!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• Valerie Noronha
    12 years ago

They look perfect and I particularly like your clever use of twin duvets. I'll have to remember that one!

• Pipdog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

great photo, ummmm! Do you happen to know where that photo came from? I'm curious b/c I love that coffee table and would be interested to find a source. We can't seem to find the right one - most coffee tables are too big.

pupwhipped, LOL

• HIWTHI
    12 years ago

Gorgeous!!

• cliff_and_joann
    12 years ago

I agree, gorgeous and very inviting.

• regina_phalange
    12 years ago

They look so fabulous in the room! Your space is just so gorgeous :).

• loolee
    12 years ago

You have done an amazing job. I love the energy in your home and the beautiful light. Orange, white, turquoise...tres chic. Looks like a great place! Well done!

• oceanna
    12 years ago

I exclaimed out loud, "oh isn't that darling!" Eureka, you have found the perfect touch for those windows. Good job! The drapes are perfect, and I like the way you brought the color through with your throw blanket. Very nice. You should be pleased as punch with yourself.

• r1tas
    12 years ago

WOW! You have an amazing style. The room looks very beautiful. Can you please tell me where you got your blue pillow and orange blanket. I keep coming back to your picture.

• ummm
    12 years ago

I saw it on this blog when I was searching for something else.

Here is a link that might be useful: blog pic

• nicole__
    12 years ago

WOW! That's a fantastic looking room! I'm very impressed!!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

I love everything in your room. Great job!!

• gentryart
    12 years ago

I was so inspired by the curtains, I had to have them. After a lot of searching on the web, I found them on Amazon and ordered 2.

We are planning to paint the LR/DR/K next weekend, and I've been unable to decide on a color theme. This room is my inspiration! I love it. Interestingly, I found the fabric sample I've been saving to make into a wall hanging (thought it was lost forever) and it's turq. and orange. Must be a good omen!

Here is a link that might be useful: divatex diamond duvet covers

• momof1
    12 years ago

...a single duvet...simply genius. You have so inspired me. Great work.

• nanmeade
    12 years ago

Pipdog, omg the room is gorgeous!!

• jerseygirl_1
    12 years ago

I just love your room. I joined Gentryart and had to have them too. Just ordered the duvet for our finished basement window. I was tossing around orange or red for the strong accent color. Your room helped me make my decision. Thanks for posting it.

• gentryart
    12 years ago

Pipdog,

Where did you get that gorgeous lamp? I can't tell if it's silver or glass. And the rug, too, LOL! You are such an inspiration!

• Pipdog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow - I'm flattered that I've inspired folks to get these curtains! I can't take credit for the idea of using the duvet as curtains, though - I found it on a fabulous design blog called "Knight Moves." When I saw the fabric on that blog (it was paired with navy blue paint) I fell in love. Wal-mart had sold out of the orange, but I too tracked them down on the internet.

gentryart, the lamp is from HomeGoods. It's smoked glass. The rug and blue pillow are also from HomeGoods. The orange blanket is a Caroline Grace cashmere throw.

Here is a link that might be useful: Knight moves - my inspiration pic

• gentryart
    12 years ago

I found this pale green/aqua couch on CL---on the fence about whether it would look good in my pipdog inspired room.

What do you all think?

Here is a link that might be useful: couch

• Pipdog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I like it gentryart! It's a great deal. Can't wait to see how the room comes together.

• marcolo
    12 years ago

pipdog, I never post here (mostly in Kitchens) but I often follow the progress of your house. Partly because I like your style, and partly because your color scheme keeps getting eerily closer to mine (which comes from the 1920s, not the '50s, btw).

Anyway, what I've been thinking that room needs is a key fabric that brings all the colors together, probably just in pillows. I have Schumacher Chiang Mai Dragon in my LR, but I'm thinking what you need is Celerie Kimble's Hothouse Flowers:

You can often find premade pillows in this fabric on Etsy, like this:

• marcolo
    12 years ago

Actually, just for hoots, I should show you the Chiang Mai. This is what I have (not from Etsy) but for some reason I think I like the Celerie Kemble in your space. Although the CM does incorporate the brown, too.

• roch3
    12 years ago

I love it, and I love your room. I would love to see more of your house.

• gentryart
    12 years ago

First, I love the pillows above, both of them! Etsy, next stop!

Found these trellis mirrors at TJ Maxx. They are about 15 inches square, $15 for the pair.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• Pipdog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

hi marcolo, you're right - I need a fabric that unites the colors. Thanks for posting photos of your sample fabric. Those are the exact colors we're looking for! I really like the Chaing Mai - the blue background would pick up the tones in the rug and walls. Where did you find your pillows?

cool mirrors, gentryart. :)

• marcolo
    12 years ago

I actually did Chiang Mai drapes, and pillows to match. I have no idea how I got talked into that one. I could've bought a small car instead. Don't ask.

BTW the Chiang Mai has many colors but a large repeat. So you have to be careful to get exactly the colors you want. That pale bluey teal by the dragon's beard, for instance, doesn't appear anywhere else in fabric, only on the dragons. I'd convo that Etsy woman to discuss the exact colors you need and ask what she can do.

• kristinekr
    12 years ago

I saw this pillow at Bed Bath and Beyond today and thought of your room. Now I am seeing orange everywhere LOL!

It is in the bedding section with the daintree set

Daintree 18" Square Toss Pillow

• Pipdog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

love those colors kristine! I need to go look at it in person. thanks. :)

• B H
    12 years ago

This is fabulous! I loved the orange curtain mock-up...love the real deal even more!

• sprout26
    12 years ago

Oh, I had to say THANK YOU for alerting me to this duvet cover. My son wanted orange on his bed. Had the hardest time finding anything. All too girly or too dark or too sporty. Then I saw your post, went right to amazon and ordered it. He thinks it's great! now just have to come up with valences for his room.
    Thanks for the inspiration.

• robert_123
    12 years ago

wow those look great, orange is a color usually passed by designers. its a great summer / spring color.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dean Miller

• kellykath
    12 years ago

What a great job you did with the ENTIRE room! It looks sooooooo fresh and
    inviting.

• redbazel
    12 years ago

Very nice looking room and the orange does make it work. Great ingenuity with the duvet covers! I did the drop cloth drapes last summer and love them but didn't even think "duvet"! Now I need to get going and see if I can do something with your great idea!

Red

• gentryart
    12 years ago

WIP--my interpretation of the orange curtain room. It's not all finished, but coming along.

We start with new blue gray paint:
    {{!gwi}}

Add a cool Miller/Nelson lamp from a garage sale:
    {{!gwi}}

Oooh, it looks cool at night:
    {{!gwi}}

Accessorize a little, the mirrors are on either side of the curtains, wall clock :
    {{!gwi}}

the wind chime is coming down...

{{!gwi}}

That's all for now...thanks for looking at all of my pics.

• Pipdog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

very cool, gentryart! love that lamp you found! what a score. Can't wait to see the finished room.

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals