Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancita_gw

Two ceiling fan questions

nancita
11 years ago

Hi all,

We are in the process of totally redoing the second floor. Everthing's been gutted and we also hare adding central C.

Here are my questions. Should I put ceiling fans in all four rooms, three bedrooms and the other a semi-office.

Next question, any recommendations on ceiling fans? In my FL house, I had only Hunter fans. While I loved them all, their remotes were often painful to use.

Since we are going to be over budget (and who isn't?) we'd like to keep the price Hunter range.

Thank you for any help.

Comments (8)

• les917
    11 years ago

If you have AC and are over budget, I would not necessarily put in fans now. What I would do is be sure there were electrical boxes in place in the ceilings to handle fans and decide later what you needed.

That would also allow you to buy fans as you decorate the rooms, and look for sales and closeouts to save money.

Personally, I wouldn't want one in my bedroom. But to each their own.

• babs711
    11 years ago

It depends on where you live. We live in the hot humid south where fans are a must in bedrooms. Even with central a/c, at night we all like to sleep with the fan on. I love a beautifully decorated home. But in some cases function has to win over form. There are decent looking fans out there in many price ranges. I'd at least keep the option. There's nothing worse than trying to sleep when you're burning up at night.

• loves2read
    11 years ago

we couldn't live w/o our ceiling fans--
    we have bought expensive fans and those on sale from big box store
    I love my Hunter--and we have one in another house that is going on more than 10 yrs of use...
    but if budget is issue--get the least expensive ones in basic design and wait till they go out to replace with some more expensive

PS
    none of our fans have remotes--they are usually on all the time in rooms we use all the time and we rarely change the speed...

• dakota01
    11 years ago

I would put the fans in - don't forget to check prices at Amazon and on Ebay. You can get some very nice items at great prices if you "shop".

• lala girl
    11 years ago

We have several from Modern Fan (modernfan.com) - I love how sleek and simple they are - we have never had an ounce of trouble from them and no wobbling.

We have the Lapa style, nickel in the ceiling hugger version and the Altus hugger in gloss white. I love that they are different from what you normally see at Home Depot.

Modern Fan also has a sister site - Period Arts Fan Company - that has more traditional styles.

• Fun2BHere
    11 years ago

We use ceiling fans all year round. I bought a Hunter whisper quiet model, very plain with no lights that blends in with the ceiling. That model was only around $45 six years ago. I do use remotes, but I didn't mount them on the wall. I keep a remote in a drawer or decorative box in each room.

If you can't afford to put them all in right now, I agree with the other poster who suggested putting in the electrical junction box and covering it with a cap until you can afford fans. You could always use the box to mount a chandelier later if you decide you don't want a fan.

• justgotabme
    11 years ago

Ditto Les except for we love our ceiling fans and have them in almost every room in our home and use them often. Even have on in our screened in porch. That last one has a remote and it works fine. Most are HoDe's Hampton Bay brand. We've had them all at least eight years and have only had trouble with one of them. HoDe stands by their store brand completely so they are well worth looking into.

• User
    11 years ago

I wouldn't be without our ceiling fans so if it were me I'd have them installed in all four rooms at some point. We had ceiling fans put in our LR and bedroom right away but the other rooms we had set up for fans but installed a cheap light fixture to save funds at the time. We're getting around to installing another fan in the near future.

I've never used a remote though as our fans are tied into a wall switch in each room and we don't change the speed.

We have two Hunter fans and I really like both. The one in our bedroom was a cheap one from Walmart but it works well. I don't see the brand listed on the fan anywhere.

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor