Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Living room layout help...what to buy!?!? (open concept)

Posted by tkfinn97 (My Page) on
Sun, May 5, 13 at 0:58

We are at the point that we are ready to buy new furniture for the living room, but I have no idea what to get! I am planning on floating the furniture and adding a rug to anchor it. Here is my floor plan.

photo Houseplan_zps073ecf75.jpg

Eventually the east wall will have a TV and entertainment center (probably not for a few years). We also have a view out of the south windows. I am not sure how to arrange the furniture to take in the view without making it seem as if visitors are turning their back on the rest of the kitchen/dining room. Do you think I have room to put a couch, love seat and couple of chairs without it feeling too crowded? Or would a large sectional work better? Would you center the furniture arrangement in the living room space? I had thought about arranging the majority of furniture on the east side of the room and maybe putting a puzzle table or small reading area in the southwest corner by the entryway. I like the idea of a narrow table on the opposing wall of the center bathroom with some nice art above it. Any suggestions are appreciated as I would love to have some different ideas/options before checking out the furniture stores...thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Living room layout help...what to buy!?!? (open concept)

If you make cut outs of the sofa, love seat and chairs, lamp tables, etc , you can move them around on your floor plan to see what works best.

In our current home, we have a similar situation. The sofa/loveseat are situated facing the TV and Fireplace and away from the kitchen. When entertaining, as usual, most people hang around the kitchen and bar area.

If there is a game on TV, nobody feels left out. Sometimes we put a large puzzle half done on a card table, and most people are tempted to sit and try put some of it together. It keeps both adults and kids happy. We have even put bar stools behind the sofas if it's a big game!

o

Yes -- best thing to do is take a number of options -- sectionals etc -- and plot it all out on paper. Inches count! :)

A vote for a large sectional facing the covered porch and TV -- and then -- if possible -- add an additional swivel chair ....

Then work out if an ottoman or a coffee table would work best for your needs ....

Here's a link to PB -- take a few options from there -- and try it out on paper with their measurements ....

Here is a link that might be useful: PB sectional -- for ideas and measurements

o

I do like the idea for the sectional to kind of divide the room. I appreciate the input!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here