Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tammi_vetter_miles

Update to painted front door

Hi All,

Some of you may or may not remember, several of you made suggestions for my front door (was an orange-y red) and what color to paint it. The consensus was a plum/purple. Others suggested yellow/gold. I sampled several colors and nothing looked right, hubby was getting frustrated with me.

So, I went with a rasin-y brown color (color name escapes me). I was very nervous because many of you warned against a dark color because the door is recessed. I actually love it! I am attaching 2 photos as promised. And a note of appreciation to all who made suggestions. This is a great forum!

Comments (17)

• Tammi Vetter_Miles
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And a closer shot.

• zen4d
    9 years ago

I like the way it picks up the colors in the stone.Very nice.

• sas95
    9 years ago

That really looks great.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

Beautiful, beautiful.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Very nice.

• User
    9 years ago

Really well done! The current trend for brightly colored front doors is unfortunate on many houses where a darker or more refined choice would complement and enhance the home rather than scream " front door, right here!" You made a great choice and your beautiful home looks even better now. Congrats!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

It looks beautiful! Very sophisticated, understated and elegant, IMO.

Is the color BM Wenge?

May I make a suggestion, though? Remove the wreath and put a nice brass door knocker on the door to keep with that sophisticated elegance you've got going there?

Might also want to, at some point, change out the lantern and kick plate for a brass pieces to keep with the hardware.

I love it when people follow up so we can see the "after".

• flymom65
    9 years ago

Beautiful! Love your porch!

• lilsophie
    9 years ago

I have a question....Did you paint your front door while it was hanging?? If so how did you let it dry without closing the door. How long did it take to dry?
    I want to paint mine too, but can't take it off for it to dry?

• kitschykitch
    9 years ago

Looks great!

• Tammi Vetter_Miles
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone!

The color is actually a Behr Marquee color "Museum". Tibbrix, good suggestions. Though, my husband will never agree to brass. He despises it. But I like the knocker idea a lot, same with new kick plate. A new light fixture is in the works. We are thinking of hanging it from the "ceiling" rather than mounting it.

lilsphie. I left the door hanging. I was able to close the door in about an hour without any issues.

• lascatx
    9 years ago

I like it -- has the same tone as a nice wood door. It looks like it's perfect with the stone, so it is still warm and inviting. You also have the bench, flowers and wreath -- not dark and dreary at all.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

The handle looks brass. Just thinking all the hardware might look better is it's all in the same metal. I'm not a fan of brass either, although a shiny brass kick plate is beautiful, IMO.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Love the new color with your stone. It really looks great. My only suggestion would be to get a slightly larger doormat that is a bit brighter in color.

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

You really picked a nice color!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Meant to add that I think your idea of a pendant light is a great one. The light will also highlight your door beautifully.

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

the door looks beautiful!

and the hanging fixture will look great too.