Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tammi_vetter_miles

Did I screw this up? Area/foyer rug help!

Tammi Vetter_Miles
10 years ago

Hi All,

I am a long time lurker and love reading your posts/responses. I have what (I think may be) a dilemma with a new foyer rug I just purchased. It is a completely different style/color from what the rug I have in my living room. Living room is a Moroccan style, while the new foyer rug is traditional. But I love both.

I bought the foyer rug from Overstock thinking it would have some light blue in it, it has none. Which is ok, I really love the rug. Problem is you can see both rugs as soon as you walk into my house, same while sitting in the living room. I "think" I am ok with it but need someone to tell me it doesn't look horrible. My husband thinks I am insane and putting way too much thought into this.

My other question is this; in the next few months I want to add an area rug under my dining table but I don't know which direction to go with it. Do I swap out the Moroccan rug and get 2 more traditional rugs for the dining/living or stay with what I have? I guess I really just want some opinions on how things look now and suggestions. I am attaching photos from every possible angle. Many Thanks!

Comments (22)

• Tammi Vetter_Miles
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I can't figure out how to add more than one photo. Ugh. I will add the other 3 in separate posts.

• Tammi Vetter_Miles
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am sorry if I am doing this wrong!

• Tammi Vetter_Miles
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Last one.

• Tammi Vetter_Miles
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oops, this is the last one. Looking into the dining room from living.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

I think your rugs look great as they are. I'm not into matchy-matchy. I like to mix styles and colors. As long as things go together I think you can achieve a great look.

For your dining room, I would get a rug that you like and not be overly concerned about style. I would let the colors in the rugs pull the look together.

I love the color on your walls. Do you know what it is?

Linda

Cute dog!!!

• Tammi Vetter_Miles
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Whitelacey!

Paint color in the living/dining is SW Tony Taupe and in the foyer it is the next color down in the color strip, Balanced Beige.

I agree with non-matching rugs but wasn't sure if this was too far over the mark. I know coordinated is always suggested so I wasn't sure.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

I don't think I wouldn't switch out one of the ones you have for three of the same style. I think I would go with a style that is different from either of those two so the 'odd' one doesn't look out of place. That said, I think your rooms are beautiful and I think anything you choose would be great. You have great taste!

Linda

• momof3kids_pa
    10 years ago

I think your rugs look beautiful! Can you please tell me what your floors are? are they site finished or engineered? I LOVE them!

• amykath
    10 years ago

Beautiful home!! I think the rugs go well together. I like that they are different in style but still mesh well.

I love your floors too! Would love to hear more about them!

• cozyplace
    10 years ago

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL home! You did good!!! And I like both rugs. They both seem to flow nicely. For the third I agree with previous posters. Pull from both of the ones you have. You got great taste and I am sure it'll be as beautiful as the rest of your furnishings

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Did you screw up? NO WAY! Eclectic carpeting is, IMO, actually nicer than uniform, even in the same room!

You have beautiful taste. Your home is gorgeous, but not show-casey sterile. It looks so calm and inviting and comfortable.

And kudos, kudos, kudos to you on your wall color choices! A smudge darker than more common choices, and the effect is absolutely stunning. That Tony Taupe in the LR is nothing short of perfect.

• Oakley
    10 years ago

I think they look absolutely fine. I've become a fan of no area rugs in an open dining room. If the whole room was enclosed I think a rug is needed. When the room is open a bare wood floor is just stunning.

I think people automatically assume an area rug is needed in every room.

My DR is open and I enjoy the beauty of the wood under the table. I also enjoy using a broom and sweeping. Much easier and does a better job than vacuuming! lol

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous! You have a beautiful home and your good taste shows! I love your paint colors, both the AB and the TT look fabulous in your home. It really makes me want to have my living room repainted.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

The foyer rugs seems way too small to do the job it needs to do. It would be good to be able to take at least two steps across it before you run out of rug.

The living room rug, if a bit larger, would make the room appear larger

• yayagal
    10 years ago

I'm with Oakley, I prefer wood on the floor showing under the dining room table. As everyone is saying, your rugs look great and you're doing a fab job of decorating. No mistakes whatsoever. Believe in yourself, you've proven you do decor very well.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Have to agree with beverly27. Gorgeous rugs and floor, but larger would look more finished and give the look more depth.

• blfenton
    10 years ago

I seem to always be on the other side of the fence when it comes to hardwood floors and area rugs. For me hardwood floors are art, they are warm, they bring life to a room and area rugs are there to provide anchor to the furniture of a living room. But I think they should just anchor the furniture and not take over a room. All that to say, your floors are gorgeous so don't cover them up..

I would consider enlarging the area rug only if the front door is the main entrance door for your family and depending on your weather. If you have wet feet coming in on a regular basis then perhaps a larger rug is necessary only to protect the floor.

I don't have an area rug in our DR and won't be putting one down so I won't weigh in on that discussion.

• peony4
    10 years ago

I agree with blfenton, oakley, yaya about DR, although I might have chosen a larger rug for the LR. But I like your DR as is, based on the photo... leggy chairs on top of lovely wood floors... I wouldn't change that. There's a designer whose name escapes me who removes area rugs each spring/summer for a lighter feel. I was surprised at how much "lift" it gives a room.

In terms of style, you've already started defining yours, so trust yourself. No-no to matching rugs. Your style itself is enough to help your rooms flow nicely and the overall "tone" to be cohesive.

Editing to add the designer mentioned above is Frank Babb Randolph in DC. Not your style, but if you google image him, you'll see a number of spaces without area rugs.

This post was edited by peony4 on Sat, Apr 12, 14 at 13:13

• Tammi Vetter_Miles
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks to all of you for your comments and compliments. Wow, so many nice things!

A couple of you asked what the floors are, they are your basic 2.5" red oak floors, not engineered. We just had wood floors installed in the living/dining/stairs last fall (was yucky carpet) and then had them all refinished and stained Minwax Dark Walnut. I absolutely love them It completely changed the look of our house. We bought this house 3 years ago and have completely remolded every inch ourselves. And I am glad so many of you like the paint colors! That was a drama filled episode. They used to be Ralph Lauren's Antique Brown then they were SW Perfect Greige and now Tony Taupe. All within 3 years. Exhausting. But I love the current colors. I used Accessible Beige in the kitchen and I have to say that color is my favorite.

I agree about the living room rug and the size. I wish I had gone a size up but hubby would have my head if I bought another right now. The foyer rug has to stay this size (4x6) because I have 3 young boys (all under age 4) who like to push their little cars/carts and do relays through the foyer, they would be very upset if I got something larger that would interrupt their race-track;-)

One more question-I want to install a shutter and remove the drape on the single window in the living room. My plan is to buy new panels for the large window in living and in the dining. What are thoughts on having a shutter on just one window? The side of the house faces a tot park and we just want a little more privacy. Plus I love shutters. I just installed them in our family room and am looking for excuses to put them other places.

Again, thank you everyone!!

• peony4
    10 years ago

So sweet! I'm in the process of patching and painting nicks in baseboards along my long hallway from earlier days of race cars on the wood floors. Nice memories. Enjoy while you can.

Great work on your home.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Keep the smaller rug and let the kiddos race cars to their heart's content. Those days fly by so quickly. It's wonderful that as a mum you chose what works best for your family!

• theclose
    10 years ago

The rugs look great! Wouldn't change them at all. Race tracks are very important!

Not sure how shutters would look on one window. Maybe someone with experience can help you.

Good luck!