Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
threeapples

I wish I could get away with using Fornasetti wallpaper somewhere

threeapples
11 years ago

I know it's not at all appropriate, or likely even affordable, for my house, but I really love some of their clever and artistic wallpapers lately.

Comments (27)

• Jamie
    11 years ago

I wish you could, too. It's great looking art. Thanks for making me look.

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

In your walk-in closet.

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

In your pantry.
    On the back wall of your china cabinet.
    Inside your blanket chest.
    On the back of your powder room door.
    Inside the medicine cabinet.
    Adhered to glass, and made into a backsplash.

Somebody stop me....

• pirula
    11 years ago

Wow! Clever clever...

• threeapples
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Haha! It's awesome, isn't it?
    There is barely any exposed wall space in my closet and I thi k there is a minimum roll order. I also don't have a designer to order it for me. Maybe I'll take a photo of my closet and post back to see if you all think pursuing it is worth it.

Our doors are 6 panel so that won't work.

Maybe the powder room, or is that all wrong, palimpsest?

• kitchendetective
    11 years ago

I'd like this one in a laundry room with a retractable clothes line in front of it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fornasetti Nuvole

• threeapples
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It's great. I love the Chiavi Segreto in green for my powder room or closet or the indigo and purple monkey one for the powder room.

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

You could definitely do the Procuratie e Scimmie paper because it is essentially a Pillar and Arch design which is Georgian Era appropriate. The monkeys just add to it.

• threeapples
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I couldn't agree more with your justification, Palimpsest. Now, which for which room (pretending I'll be able to afford this)?

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

Powder room. I don't think Cole and son is too expensive.

• threeapples
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And the Chiavi for my closet?

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    11 years ago

Just do it. (Easy for me to say. lol!)

I've had a lot of fun ogling the Cole & Sons FB page. Looks like there is a supplier in NY too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cole & Sons

• threeapples
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hadn't thought to check Facebook. Thanks!
    My husband is going to kill me. Haha.

• madeyna
    11 years ago

Okay I,m going to just admit it . I love wallpaper. Dodging rocks now

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Madeyna, no rocks here. I love really good wallpaper. I deeply dislike cheesy boring wallpaper.

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

Here are the two papers I was talking about, for comparison.

The Adelphi paper is a 1790 document in the original colorway. You can see how much the papers have in common:

• threeapples
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Remarkable!

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Back in the '80s in Los Angeles, people used to say that cocaine was nature's way of telling you you're making too much money.

Now I think it's that wallpaper.

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

I don't know how many people actually put in a documentary color like the Adelphi 1776 paper, but you can get it in any color you want.

I think if I lived it a house from 1790, I'd have no problem using it--in a different color than document. We've become so fearful of doing stuff like this for the most part. This yellow is also the last documented color of Thomas Jefferson's dining room.

The Fornasetti is from the 1950s. Again, I think Italians may be a little less afraid to actually make a statement that is not Serious with a capital S.

Although there are any number of design choices that indicate more money than taste,,,I disagree completely about these wallpapers, In the Right Context--and there is a right context.

• threeapples
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I don't know that anyone walking into my house would have a clue of this wallpaper's price. I don't care if it screams money or not, I like it and don't find it cheesy. I think it's very artistic and that's a side of myself Id like to showcase in this house.

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Oh, no, I think you've misunderstood me! I'd absolutely love to be able to afford such beautiful paper, and wasn't thinking about what other people might think, or that it's purpose was showy.

I'm sorry if my smart-alecky remark sounded like that. It's perfectly lovely, and I hope you do find a place to use some.

• threeapples
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Gotcha. See, that's the difficulty with "talking" online, or even via text message--nuance is lost.

No apology necessary.

Last night I said to my husband, "Would you object if we had a wallpaper with bright purple monkeys on the walls of the powder room?" He didn't even look up at me when he sighed and said, "If that's what you think makes sense." Haha. Poor guy is so confused with all the Georgian/Federal jargon and then I throw this at him.

I think I only need two rolls for my closet, more like just over one, but obviously I have to get the second roll for the extra few feet and about 5 for the powder room. I really love the dark green with the gold keys. That wouldn't make sense for the powder room, palimpsest? I can do the purple monkeys, but will it be too much with the black/white checker floor and the gilt and very ornate Adam mirror?

• pirula
    11 years ago

I'm loving those monkeys.....

• kswl2
    11 years ago

I love it all--- beautiful and timeless! If you have a place to use it, you should--- it will absolutely make you love the room. Not even half as pricey but at $200 per double roll DH thought I had lost it when we used the bathroom paper in our closet. It made such a difference and I love the room.

Will say that moldings are key to setting off a paper like that, though. It would look woefully out of place in a house with clamshell or other minimal trim. However, can totally see it in a very contemporary house as well. I hope you use it and share pictures :-)

• kitchendetective
    11 years ago

I like this one.

{{!gwi}}

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Great idea. I love the monkeys, and they will make everyone who goes in smile!

Do check with the supplier about the roll thing - for reasons that confound everyone, most paper is priced by the single roll, and sold only by the double roll, so it's good to be sure what you're actually buying, and for how much.

• threeapples
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It's coming out to be $211 per roll, but I have no idea what customs will charge me. I don't have a US designer to see if I can get it cheaper here. Any idea of customs charges?