Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I wish I could get away with using Fornasetti wallpaper somewhere

Posted by threeapples (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 6, 13 at 23:37

I know it's not at all appropriate, or likely even affordable, for my house, but I really love some of their clever and artistic wallpapers lately.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I wish I could get away with using Fornasetti wallpaper somew

I wish you could, too. It's great looking art. Thanks for making me look.

o

In your walk-in closet.

o

In your pantry.
On the back wall of your china cabinet.
Inside your blanket chest.
On the back of your powder room door.
Inside the medicine cabinet.
Adhered to glass, and made into a backsplash.

Somebody stop me....

o

Wow! Clever clever...

o

Haha! It's awesome, isn't it?
There is barely any exposed wall space in my closet and I thi k there is a minimum roll order. I also don't have a designer to order it for me. Maybe I'll take a photo of my closet and post back to see if you all think pursuing it is worth it.

Our doors are 6 panel so that won't work.

Maybe the powder room, or is that all wrong, palimpsest?

o

I'd like this one in a laundry room with a retractable clothes line in front of it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fornasetti Nuvole

o

It's great. I love the Chiavi Segreto in green for my powder room or closet or the indigo and purple monkey one for the powder room.

o

You could definitely do the Procuratie e Scimmie paper because it is essentially a Pillar and Arch design which is Georgian Era appropriate. The monkeys just add to it.

o

I couldn't agree more with your justification, Palimpsest. Now, which for which room (pretending I'll be able to afford this)?

o

Powder room. I don't think Cole and son is too expensive.

o

And the Chiavi for my closet?

o

Just do it. (Easy for me to say. lol!)

I've had a lot of fun ogling the Cole & Sons FB page. Looks like there is a supplier in NY too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cole & Sons

o

Hadn't thought to check Facebook. Thanks!
My husband is going to kill me. Haha.

o

Okay I,m going to just admit it . I love wallpaper. Dodging rocks now

o

Madeyna, no rocks here. I love really good wallpaper. I deeply dislike cheesy boring wallpaper.

o

Here are the two papers I was talking about, for comparison.

The Adelphi paper is a 1790 document in the original colorway. You can see how much the papers have in common:
 photo adelphiproductphoto1_zps70d0e440.jpg

photo coleandson_zps53141392.jpg

o

Remarkable!

o

Back in the '80s in Los Angeles, people used to say that cocaine was nature's way of telling you you're making too much money.

Now I think it's that wallpaper.

o

I don't know how many people actually put in a documentary color like the Adelphi 1776 paper, but you can get it in any color you want.

I think if I lived it a house from 1790, I'd have no problem using it--in a different color than document. We've become so fearful of doing stuff like this for the most part. This yellow is also the last documented color of Thomas Jefferson's dining room.

The Fornasetti is from the 1950s. Again, I think Italians may be a little less afraid to actually make a statement that is not Serious with a capital S.

Although there are any number of design choices that indicate more money than taste,,,I disagree completely about these wallpapers, In the Right Context--and there is a right context.

o

I don't know that anyone walking into my house would have a clue of this wallpaper's price. I don't care if it screams money or not, I like it and don't find it cheesy. I think it's very artistic and that's a side of myself Id like to showcase in this house.

o

Oh, no, I think you've misunderstood me! I'd absolutely love to be able to afford such beautiful paper, and wasn't thinking about what other people might think, or that it's purpose was showy.

I'm sorry if my smart-alecky remark sounded like that. It's perfectly lovely, and I hope you do find a place to use some.

o

Gotcha. See, that's the difficulty with "talking" online, or even via text message--nuance is lost.

No apology necessary.

Last night I said to my husband, "Would you object if we had a wallpaper with bright purple monkeys on the walls of the powder room?" He didn't even look up at me when he sighed and said, "If that's what you think makes sense." Haha. Poor guy is so confused with all the Georgian/Federal jargon and then I throw this at him.

I think I only need two rolls for my closet, more like just over one, but obviously I have to get the second roll for the extra few feet and about 5 for the powder room. I really love the dark green with the gold keys. That wouldn't make sense for the powder room, palimpsest? I can do the purple monkeys, but will it be too much with the black/white checker floor and the gilt and very ornate Adam mirror?

o

I'm loving those monkeys.....

o

I love it all--- beautiful and timeless! If you have a place to use it, you should--- it will absolutely make you love the room. Not even half as pricey but at $200 per double roll DH thought I had lost it when we used the bathroom paper in our closet. It made such a difference and I love the room.

Will say that moldings are key to setting off a paper like that, though. It would look woefully out of place in a house with clamshell or other minimal trim. However, can totally see it in a very contemporary house as well. I hope you use it and share pictures :-)

o

I like this one.

o

Great idea. I love the monkeys, and they will make everyone who goes in smile!

Do check with the supplier about the roll thing - for reasons that confound everyone, most paper is priced by the single roll, and sold only by the double roll, so it's good to be sure what you're actually buying, and for how much.

o

It's coming out to be $211 per roll, but I have no idea what customs will charge me. I don't have a US designer to see if I can get it cheaper here. Any idea of customs charges?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here