Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
louislinus

Help me work this table and china cupboard together

louislinus
10 years ago

We are moving into a 1942 brick colonial revival. I love the house! It has this great art deco woodwork everywhere, a straight from the 50's knotty pine den, etc etc. I love MCM Danish furniture and have quite a bit of it. Right now we live in an 1860's farmhouse and I've found a way to make my Danish furniture work with some cottage elements to make it all sort of fit but certainly my furniture will fit much better in the new house. Now onto my question -

I have a MCM china cupboard that was my grandma's and I love and must keep it. We need a new dining room table and I'd really like to get a round table. A friend works for Arhaus and graciously offered to extend her employee discount to me to get a table. I found a table I really like but it doesn't go with my hutch. What do you think? I am planning on doing either metal chairs or the ghost chair dupe from Ikea or any other ideas you might have. Maybe there is a chair that would tie the table and the china cupboard together...

Here is a link that might be useful: Dining Room Table

Comments (10)

• bbstx
    10 years ago

Beautiful table! Nice friend! What about it doesn't work with the china hutch? Could you post a picture of the hutch?

• louislinus
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Duh. Here ya go

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

I think they'd completely work together if you can match the stain.

• louislinus
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The stain is the problem. I was trying to find a way to make different stains work together. I guess I could stain the table but it would bug me to have to stain a $2k table.

• bbstx
    10 years ago

I don't mind that the stains don't match. I think a "collected" look is nice.

Is the table available somewhere for you to actually see? If so, can you take a drawer from the china hutch to the store to see if they play nicely together?

If you cannot abide how they look together, are you aware that the table also comes in Mocha (Arhaus Chat is a terrific resource!)? The third picture shows the Mocha table in a room with a mid-tone brown wood door, similar in tone to your hutch.

Here is a link that might be useful: Leighton Mocha DR table

• cozyplace
    10 years ago

I love the table and can understand why you wouldn't want to stain a brand new expensive table. The 2nd one that was just posted in mocha seems like it would also go. I agree about taking a drawer with you and see if it compliments each other. Enjoy your new home!

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

It's always tough for me to tell from pictures, but I think scale might be an issue with that table and your cabinet. If you love the table, I would move the china cabinet to another room and use it for storing books, linens or clothing. Otherwise, I would look for a MCM table that has a similar scale as your cabinet.

• crl_
    10 years ago

I think it is difficult to match stains exactly and wouldn't even try. Of course, I come from the perspective of collecting antiques--they never match and it would be heresy to restain a decent antique so we just use them not matching.

My personal preference would be to have the pieces not even close to matching so it doesn't look like you tried to match and failed. Then I'd look for chairs in an entirely different color/material.

I can't tell about the scale issue from the pictures. One thing I did notice is that the pedestal on the table looks big and I wondered if it would be in the way for people's legs? I'd want to sit at the table to check that out.

I'm including a link to one of my favorite Houzz pictures because I think it shows a variety of styles mixed together into one really lovely and coherent looking space.

Here is a link that might be useful: [Houzz dining room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/sfgirlbybay-shabby-chic-style-dining-room-san-francisco-phvw-vp~26568)

• louislinus
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tulip chairs like those in the link would be a good choice as they would tie in with the MCM cupboard. And I had no idea the table comes in Mocha! Thank you. I love a round table and one with leaves to seat 12 is hard to find.

• patricianat
    10 years ago

If you cannot go identical, you go completely opposite.