Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yayagal_gw

finding the right pale yellow

yayagal
16 years ago

Hi, I'm redoing my den which is currently painted a soft gold which I love but I find it's not light enough in the winter for our dark and short days so I've decided to go to a lighter shade. I've purchased five soft yellow samples and they all seem almost white when painted. Have any of you a lovely shade that you could share with me? I'm so tired of going to stores and getting frustrated. The sofas are being slipcovered in a camel color and I'll be purchasing a lighter oriental. I have a large amount of original art and sculptures so I want to keep the room a little more calm. I'll be checking to see if someone can help. Thanks so much!!

Comments (67)

• nadine33
    16 years ago

We used SW Ivoire in our kitchen/dining area. I Loved it so much I'm painting it in my hallways.

• organic_smallhome
    16 years ago

valzone: Thank you for your kind words. Now you know why your yellow walls don't bother me a bit! I love your new apartment. :)

I'm really liking both the Philadelphia Cream (beautiful room, jynxed) and the SW Harvest Moon (that DR looks like something out of a magazine!).

Yellow makes me happy. I didn't feel that way about it when I was younger, but now I love it. :)

• jjam
    16 years ago

Organic, I agree with you. I'm loving both Philadelphia Cream and the SW Harvest Moon. Since Harvest Moon isn't currently in the fandeck, does anyone know how to get the formula or a sample?

Jynxed, thanks for posting again. You have some beautiful fabrics there. Both your LR and DR are wonderful, inviting spaces.

• brutuses
    16 years ago

yay, the BM Rich Creme does come in their little sample pot.

• sallymo2015
    16 years ago

Hi jjam,
    Just ask the SW guy/gal and they can still mix it. I don't know if they still have old color decks laying around, you could ask so you could have a swatch of it.

The dining room picture was taken about 10:00 am. The other pic is in the adjoining living room and was taken in the late afternoon---it that helps as far as lighting is concerned. You can see that I don't have coverings on my windows so we get a lot of natural light.

• yayagal
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks again, I never got my samples today, I was busy buying a refrigerator and stove and I need them installed by Saturday. We got it done and then went out to eat lol. I'm going to BM tomorrow to buy samples of three of the colors you've shown. I'll let you know what I choose. Yaya

• redbazel
    16 years ago

I avoided this thread till now, thinking that since I finally painted out my soft yellow I didn't need to see anyone else's, but goodness gracious! These photos from all of you are just lovely! It makes me yearn for the soft yellows again. And Jinxyed, your furniture arrangement and drapes are so very pretty. Love it! I also saw Kswl's LR for the first time. Just beautiful.

Red

• jjam
    16 years ago

Sallymo, Thanks for the info. I haven't used SW paint before but I will check it out. I really like the way your black accents look next to your paint. The room I'm thinking of has a black piano as well as a large paintig with a heavy black frame, so that is what caught my eye. I'm guessing your room faces south with the afternoon sun. Just gorgeous!

Thanks again to jynxed, brutuses, kimbo, organic, kswl, kimbo, and mimi. All have great spaces and show us how the right shade of yellow just gives each of these rooms a wonderful glow.

• twg7590
    16 years ago

Beautiful rooms everyone! I am looking for the right pale yellow too for a very small blue and white guest bedroom. This helps a lot!

jjam-be sure and keep us posted on the pale yellow you decide to use. Thanks!

• jynxed23
    16 years ago

organic_smallhome - Your room is so peaceful. What color is the trim?

redbazel - Thank you for your comments on my living room. The choices are a culmination of all of the time I spent "lurking" on this forum. So I should thank everyone for all of their good advice and picture postings. I chose the Philadelphia Cream after someone posted a pic of their room about two years ago. I don't remember who it was but thank you!!

• organic_smallhome
    15 years ago

jynxed: Sorry, just saw this. The trim in the room is California Paints "Decorative White." I would just like to say again how stunning your living room is. I don't know how you do it. :)

• User
    15 years ago

Ellen Kennon's Buttercream in my laundry room:
    {{gwi:1534456}}

• karenforroses
    15 years ago

Yellow is such a tricky color - it seems to almost always go on darker than the color swatch. We picked a very soft yellow color and ended up having to have it lightened 3 or 4 times before it was right (our sample dining room wall has more coats on it than any room in the house, as a result! - LOL!). But when you get it right it is wonderful - it brightens up our long grey winter days and I love it with my blue patterned china and fabrics. I don't know what color to call it, since we had to keep having it lightened, but it reminds me of Kimbo's Provence Cream.

• tfm1134
    15 years ago

sallymo, everytime I see your rooms I just smiled. I swear that one day I am going to find a place to use Harvest Moon. It is just beautiful and has such a nice glow to it

• postum
    15 years ago

Don't have a photo - and I'd be put to shame by all of these beautiful rooms. I have BM Ambience in my bedroom and I love it, get lots of compliments, it looks good day and night - and you can get it in the test pots.

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

KSWL, I love the Benjamin Moore's Golden Wheat on your beautiful room. My Benjamin Moore's Color Preview Fan Deck does not have the paint chip since wanted to compare it with the color on my wall. I still wish my bedroom's Ralph Lauren Deep Cream color was a little less lemon and a little darker.

• paucie
    15 years ago

jynxed23 -- Another huge fan of your DR drapes! I just love those! Off to see if that fabric is still available . . .

• kswl2
    15 years ago

lynn2006, we used that same color downstairs in our basement and, weirdly, it is almost lemony. We love it, but it looks completely different. In your room it might just look more lemony than what you have. If I have learned anything about color, it is that your light source actually determines the color, not the pigments in the paint!

• sallymo2015
    15 years ago

Thanks tfm1134, that's nice of you to say that. I smiled when I read your post.

Yellows really differ in homes with tinted windows. My SW yellow looked absolutely "tan" in my friend's home. She did not use it because the swatch she painted was not yellow! She does have tinted windows in that particular room.

• teddas
    15 years ago

Here is my Beach condo SW Sole
    {{!gwi}}

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

Kswl, thanks for letting me know. I guess when I am ready to paint again, I will have to paint sample boards and move them around the room. I am getting used to the lemon color but I really think if my wall color was a little less lemony and slightly darker, my Honeycomb Linen Blinds would look better since they are too costly to replace (I paid extra for the retractable cords with the top down/bottom up feature and the extra insulation of the Architella black-out feature... wish I bought them in White but at least they keep my room insulated and dark enough to sleep).

Amazingly by adding soft white sheers on white slim decorative rods, the color on the linen blinds became less brownish and more golden like I wanted. I will have to take pictures. I guess I prefer the color that I have which is happy than a color that appears gray on my walls. I repainted my Master Bathroom from Ralph Lauren Deep Cream to Benjamin Moore's Navajo White. I love it now. The lemony color is gone despite the colors being so similar and golden in the Master Bathroom. The walls now look nice with the tile and I feel calm when I am in there. The formulas are so similar with the Deep Cream having a tad more yellow with a tad less lemon and a tad less gray. Otherwise it amazes me that a slight change in the tone/hue/shade (not sure which word I need) makes the room look so nice now. I guess I am very color sensitive. I really love the Golden Wheat on your walls.

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

P.S. Kswl, if my Master Bathroom had white sinks and white toilets rather than the bone color I have and if the tile was not beige and taupe colored, I would have kept the Deep Cream. I think the slight tint of the lemon in the Deep Cream paint clashed in that room but with the color being a tad darker, a tad less lemon, the Navajo White just goes so nicely without being much of a change in the color. I at first changed the light bulbs but I liked some of the golden color and I did not like the daylight bulbs that were less bright. I think a lemony color in a basement would be wonderful for brightening up that room. If I chose White Honeycomb blinds, I would be happy with my paint color.

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

I painted my spare bedroom BM Philadelphia Cream and I love how it changes color throughout the day from golden to Yellow cream. It really is a happy nice color for the room I painted it in.

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

Organic, I just love the Delicate Cream color and like it with the white trim and the white blinds. I think yellow colors on walls like white blinds and white trim to look their best. Your wall color is just a very nice yellow.

• organic_smallhome
    15 years ago

Thanks, Lynn. :) Do you have a photo of your spare bedroom?

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

Hi Organic. I have to still take pictures of the room after I finish shredding the rest of the old files that are in that room to make it my spare exercise room/personal files room/end of season clothes room. I keep trying to find ways to make it a guest bedroom with a guest bed but I guess I can only do that if I eliminate some things in that bedroom that is small to begin with. On the windows I had installed White Comfortex Shangri-La Sheer Horizontal Blinds. If the bedroom was bigger, I would prefer my bed in that room since it faces the backyard that has no lights on at night since it faces woods. I still need suggestions for the room so when I am done more extensions, I will post pics. I do like the BM Philadelphia Cream on the walls for that room since it is a happy color and a very interesting color that changes how it looks throughout the day.

• craftymeca
    15 years ago

Ihave used BM Man on the Moon for a soft yellow in a couple of rooms, and found it goes with a lot of colors.

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

Not sure if you're still looking, but there is a nice pale yellow on RMS called SW Lucent Yellow. Very pretty!

Here is a link that might be useful: RMS

• beantownrenovator
    15 years ago

bump

• brutuses
    15 years ago

Here's a better photo of the BM's rich cream with halogen bulbs shining on it. I specify the lighting because different types of bulbs will change the color of the paint.

{{gwi:1425558}}

• yayagal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow I just saw my thread pop up again and now that my room is all done I can't thank you enough. I love the way it looks.

• marys1000
    15 years ago

yayagal gals last previous post on this thread:
    Thanks again, I never got my samples today, I was busy buying a refrigerator and stove and I need them installed by Saturday. We got it done and then went out to eat lol. I'm going to BM tomorrow to buy samples of three of the colors you've shown. I'll let you know what I choose. Yaya

So...what did you choose? Is it on another thread somewhere?

• beantownrenovator
    15 years ago

brutuses - your room looks so beautiful and the color is perfect!

yayagal - inquiring minds want to know - what did you pick? show us some pictures!!

• dragonfly_
    15 years ago

My living room and hall are painted with BM cream. The color is a soft yellow. I chose this color to compliment my kitchen which is open to the LR. I was unsure at first if I would be happy with my choice, but I find it blends nicely with most colors.

• slim1one
    9 years ago

I am several years late for this discussion, but this string came up in my search for a beautiful cream with yellow in it a few months ago. I poured over reading each and every post and looked into alot of the colours. Thank you lynxed23 for recommending BM Philadelphia Cream. I tried it in my north facing LR/DR and it's so lovely it makes me happy everytime I walk into these rooms. I am now looking to paint my entranceway, stairwell and upstairs hall. I am so in love with Philadelphia Cream that I am tempted to paint those areas the same colour.

As lynn2006 mentioned, Philadelphia Cream changes colour throughout the day. In the mornings in my north facing rooms, at certain times it is solid cream and I can detect no yellow. Throughout the day the yellow comes out and at night when my crystal chandelier is on in the DR, the light reflecting from the crystals onto the Philadelphia Cream walls is a stunning display! I am so happy I picked this beautiful colour. My dark house is in love with it! Hopefully this will help someone new who encounters this post in search of their perfect creamy yellow.

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

I didn't read all the posts so don't know if SW Antique White has been mentioned. I love this color so much I used it to paint the master bedroom, what will be my art room and the guest bathroom. The color is really more of a pale yellow although it's called antique. The great thing about it is that just about any color looks good with it. I did a paler shade in my new master bath by mixing a bit of SW Antique White with my SW Dover white. Sherwin Williams mixed it up for a custom shade. That came out great but might be too pale for you.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Check out BM Beach Haven. Gorgeous. I've decided that's what I'm going to redo my DR in. Just did it in Putnam Ivory, and am not thrilled. I want it less orange, lighter, creamier, and I think Beach Haven is the ticket.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

This is a six year old thread.

• woodie
    9 years ago

6 years and its still a nice thread to read! I was recently searching for pale yelllow and/or a creamy white and looked at every single thread in this HD forum that remotely resembled those colors. There were mucho threads to read and it was all so helpful to me - although a person can get frazzled by reading so much and trying to make a decision!

• slim1one
    9 years ago

Thank you jterrilynn and Tibbrix, I will definitely look into the colours you suggested.

I am familiar with SW Antique White and Dover White I have the SW off white brochure and both these colours are featured in it. I like the idea of mixing them as well!

I have never heard of BM Beach Haven before so I am excited to check it out.

Agreed woodie2!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

BM Beach Haven, one of BM's Classic colors, #218

• cubby325
    7 years ago

tibbrix, Did you ever use the BM Beach Haven? That is one of the colors I am considering for my open floor plan, LR, DR and foyer. I really want a cream with a hint of yellow to replace my BM powell buff walls, and I was wondering how you liked this. I have a town home, interior unit, so I don't have any windows in my dining room, and the color has to have enough life to offset the lack of natural light in this room. Thanks.

• tibbrix
    7 years ago

Can't believe I found this.

I did not use Beach Haven. I've kept my DR in the Putnam Ivory, and I actually like it, and certainly don't dislike it enough to repaint!

But, I've since found the most gorgeous "cream with a hint of yellow." BM Capitol White. I used it in my kitchen when I did the reno last year. Can't tell you how much I love the color. It really is a "cream with a hint of yellow." That is it on the wall, with BM White Dove on the ceiling.

More from my kitchen with Capitol White on the Walls:

• cubby325
    7 years ago

Wow! Thanks for the photos. I'm going to the BM store today, and I was going to look at that fan deck. I have classic colors and color preview, but not the Colonial Williamsburg fan deck. Love the gray cabinets. Did you paint them? If so, what color? I have natural maple which I hate. I'd love to paint, but it is such a huge undertaking, and I also want to paint my kitchen walls, DR walls and ceiling and all wood trim downstairs. I have to get a painter for my living room because of the high ceilings. Also, I'm a senior, and much slower getting up and down that ladder than I used to be :)

• cubby325
    7 years ago

Attached are two photos with a color similar to what I want.

• tibbrix
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

If I were you, I'd get a sample of:

BM Capitol White; Lemon Ice; Linen Sand; Beach Haven;

Capitol White

Lemon Ice - maybe too yellow

Linen Sand

Beach Haven

• tibbrix
    7 years ago

Btw, my kitchen cabinets are "Pettingill Sage", a green, and I ordered them in that color. They are new cabinets. My old icky pine cabinets were completely coming apart so had to be trashed.

• tibbrix
    7 years ago

There is a beautiful soft BM yellow , and I can't think of the name! It's common too!

• Kitch4me
    7 years ago

My LR is BM Linen Sand...

this room doesn't get a lot of light

• cubby325
    7 years ago

Linen sand looks like a very nice color. I have a muted soft gold sofa that must stay, so I want more contrast. My room is currently BM powell buff, so I want something different enough to justify the change.