Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
louislinus

Favorite Navy Blue Paint Color

louislinus
9 years ago

I'd like to paint the door on our new house a glossy navy blue. What's your favorite navy?

Comments (16)

• louislinus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Might also paint the kitchen cabs navy. Any thoughts on that?

• crl_
    9 years ago

The only navy paint I have used is Benj, Moore Hale Navy. Loved it.

On the kitchen cabinets, I think that could be stunning in the right space. Have you painted cabinets before? It's quite the job.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Depends. Do you want a warm navy (i.e.: yellow) or a cool navy (gray)?

Also, what is the style of your home? Colonial? Check out historic colors, like BM Van Deusen Blue. Contemporary? A more silvery blue will work. What is the color of your siding? Etc.

Do you have any pics?

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 7:51

• patricianat
    9 years ago

What Tibbrix said.

• louislinus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's a brick colonial revival. SW Naval seems like a good choice for the front door. Not sure on the cabs. Our whole kitchen needs remodeled but we can't afford that for a long time. I might just live with the kitchen for a while before doing anything. It's the kitchen that I was considering a pass through for in a different thread.

We are moving to this house mid June and I'm obsessed! I should just start a thread to discuss all the colors in the new house because I'm pretty sure I will start a thousand threads otherwise. I love decorating a new house. So many excuses to shop!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

It's easier to do individual threads for each item, I think. Maybe others disagree?

the SW naval is a cool blue and has an historic look to it, so I think it would look great.

Paint your trim, shutters, and window grids an antique-y gold andâ¦.oo la la!

• jjam
    9 years ago

louislinus, your house is so lovely! It will be worth every bit of effort to make it your own. It reminds me of a home in Iowa that had a large estate sale in the 1970s. DH and I bought several pieces there that we still treasure....and we wished at the time that we could buy the house, too!

I love the idea of a navy door. We'll enjoy seeing the whole process unfold.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

After seeing the kitchen in the HGTV Smart House, I just picked up navy samples to seriously think about painting my kitchen cabinets dark blue.
    Here's what I picked:Indigo batik (that's in the HGTV house)

It looks slightly different on the two paper chips (go figure)

Also SW Commodore

The others looked very strange once I had them in my house (Naval; Indigo, etc.)

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

But look how different the color is on the left side (bottom cab vs uppers), depending on lighting.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I want kitchen cabinets that color!!

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Me, too, but I'm scared going from all white to blue.

Here's another kitchen:

Maybe starting with just the lowers?

Now, IRL this one is actually dark gray, but in the picture it looks blue.

(Or maybe live my renovating life through louislinus.)

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I just finished (well, almost) my kitchen, so not changing colors anytime soon. Maybe I'll just paint the dining room wall that color!

• mlweaving_Marji
    9 years ago

For our exterior shutters and skirting we used BM Blue Note, and we love it. It's a dk greyed navy.
    Love love love those navy kitchens.
    Also, for inspiration, a greyed navy living room

And a navy dining room in a colonial

This post was edited by mlweaving_Marji on Sat, Apr 19, 14 at 7:20

• feisty68
    9 years ago

I love the colour below - I've never used it but its complexity attracts me:

Here is a link that might be useful: Drawing Room Blue

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Nice! But notice how different it looks on the headboard.