Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tammi_vetter_miles

What color to paint my front door-All suggestions welcome!

Hi. I am painting my front door in the next week or so and really need some suggestions. Currently is a deep/burnt orange which, in my opinion, is looking a little tired. I thought I wanted a deep walnut color but now I am not sure. In the next few years we will be replacing with a wood door but right now it is your standard steel/fiberglass (?) door. I don't want to wait for the new door to have a new look.

The front of the house is stone, some of it is peachy looking stone that I am not a huge fan of. And the other parts are painted cedar.

I will attach 3 pictures. I admit they are not the best but I hope it helps. This first photo was the MLS photo so it is not the greatest, the next 2 should be a little better.

Comments (36)

• Tammi Vetter_Miles
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hubby and son in costume....sorry do not have anything else!

• Tammi Vetter_Miles
    Original Author
    9 years ago

3 of 3.

Thank you!

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    9 years ago

I like the current color. I think blueberry blue would work. Also a grey-brown. Don't know if you want a strong color or to go more neutral.

• Tammi Vetter_Miles
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, raee. It actually looks better in photos than in person. I think it looks a little faded in person. My husband would never go for blue, unfortunately.

I like the idea of a grey/brown though. I personally go either way on color....

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I also like the burnt orange but I get you' re ready for a change. I see a gold color in the stone...that might look nice..or chocolate brown?

• voila
    9 years ago

city2burbs

Pullout the gold from the stone and go maybe a shade or two brighter. This would be a welcoming, warm entrance.

• Tammi Vetter_Miles
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Gold...hmmm, something I would have never picked! I have to admit that when I think of gold, yellow instantly comes to mind, which I dislike. Can I do gold without doing yellow??

• yayagal
    9 years ago

I'd pick a deeper shade of the pot next to your husband. Your foliage would go so well with a green.

• louislinus
    9 years ago

I just decided to paint mine navy blue so I vote for that! I do think it would look nice on your house.

• lascatx
    9 years ago

I agree that blue would work, but if that is out, would he consider green (deep grassy green -- a hunter green if it gets enough light to not look like a black hole) or purple (eggplant)? You might be able to use a raspberry -- taking a cue from your bushes along the walkway and the purple flowers in the pot.

You could find a gold that works with your stone, but I would like some color to flow from the flower beds to the door, especially since your door is tucked back in a shadow. That leads your eye to the door and makes the entry more welcoming.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

Look at BM Vintage Wine. It echoes your barberry (or whatever it is purplish in your flower beds) and appears it will look nice with your stone and roof, etc.

• voila
    9 years ago

It might work to make your entrance more inviting. Just throwing this out there. Because your entrance is recessed, you may need a brighter color to draw the eye. As it is now the dark color recedes and is not noticeable, although this color may work with white trim better a deeper gold may work better with your darker trim or paint the door trim lighter!

• Tammi Vetter_Miles
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Such great suggestions, many I have never imagined.

Voila, I really love the color (wish that was MY door!) you posted. I think my fear is the peach in the stone, will I be emphasizing it with a shade like this?

I have actually considered green, a bunch of different shades, and that is still on the list. But I have not seen anything that screams it is the one. Rasberry/wine is a great option as well, I am liking that actually.

My original plan was dark brown but I get the sense that most of you feel it would be to dark, am I right? But now I am leaning towards something brighter.

Is there anything I should stay away from or is it anything goes?

• Tammi Vetter_Miles
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What about this color? I think I really love this....

• Tammi Vetter_Miles
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok, I have decided on a purple/wine/eggplant shade. Now, which one? I like the one above and I like the vintage wine but maybe something a little more purple than that?

Do I leave the existing trim around the door frame, it matches the other trim on the house?

• Oakley
    9 years ago

You have such a nice porch that if you go dark with the door then none of the colors will be noticeable until you walk to the porch.

Voila is on the right track. The whole area is dark because it's recessed, and not very inviting. I also think the color Voila posted is beautiful.

I would definitely go light. Have you googled pictures of painted front doors? Americans are afraid to paint colorful doors for some reason.

Do you want the door to be seen from the street? If so then the eggplant or any other dark color won't be seen.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I didn't read the other answers and immediately thought bright yellow.

• deegw
    9 years ago

Benjamin Moore pewter (not revere) is a fresh looking gray/blue that might work with your stone. The color is rich but bright and would lighten up your entrance.

It's a chameleon color so don't let online pics dissuade you before you get a chip and see how it looks with your stone.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

I think the bright yellow mustard-like color is beautiful depicted above, but I don't think the bricks are the same color as the OPs stones and I don't think this color will create the same effect, but rather an out-of-character look.

I am probably wrong but I just think the two are totally different. I would prefer seeing the eggplant or wine color, or even going green, to a green that we have not seen introduced to mockups yet, but the mustard on the above-pictured house seems out of place for OPs home, but that is JMHO.

• Boopadaboo
    9 years ago

How about a light green or lavender? I agree, that given the location a lighter color might stand out more.

• teacats
    9 years ago

A vote for a color like this one!

Here is a link that might be useful: BM -- Elderbaerry Wine CSP-470

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I LOVE that purple. That door shows up here frequently. can't recall the name of the color.
    I think a purple would be perfect. Your house is saturated with neutral colors, and with the darkness of the front stoop, a little color would work well w/o screaming, I think.

The one in the pic you posted would be my choiceâ¦or (everyone look away, I'm about to mention "the" color again!)â¦there is Benjamin Moore Vintage Charm, a very rustic purple which I think would go well with the stonework as well as the colors of your siding and room. a front door can be a great opportunity to use purple, a color which can be difficult elsewhere.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Agree with teacarts, re: elderberry wine too! gorgeous color.

• msrose
    9 years ago

BM Wenge

Beekeepers BM Velvet Cloak

BM Caponata

This post was edited by msrose on Sun, Apr 20, 14 at 11:18

• TehyaJenZ6
    9 years ago

Love Love the purple. If you're worried about it not standing out enough, maybe do some planters on the porch the same color to draw it out more.

• louisianagal
    9 years ago

Maybe I'm coming too late to the door party, but I would definitely go light. I would pull a grey or taupe from the stone, and then maybe a darker trim to perhaps mirror the color of the roof. One thing is for sure, you can always change it if you don't like it!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Ooh, that Wenge is nice!

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

White, because the sun does not shine in there.

• Tammi Vetter_Miles
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow, all of you are SO helpful!

I agree, I can't get on board with a gold. The tones of the stone just do not show up in the photos, lots of yellowy-peachy tones. I was hoping to do something to get away from that.

Now I am concerned about doing something darker. Oh dear!! I think I got my husband on board with a purple/wine/eggplant but now have concerns that many of you think it is not light enough.

Back to the drawing board??

• patricianat
    9 years ago

Does it matter what anyone else likes as long as you and the DH like eggplant/wine colors? Look at your garden. That barberry will take you right to the front door with its harmonious color. Just add some chartreuse sweet potato vines in a pot by the front door and be done with it. Darn it.

• amykath
    9 years ago

I think the eggplant would be perfect! Lovely home!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I'm really sold on an eggplant/purple. With that stone, I think it wold be beautiful. The depth of the color is why I put up the BM Vintage Charm - lighter than eggplant, not jewel-toned like that other gorgeous purple you put up, but rustic enough to go with the stone.

Here is the Vintage Charm on a wall. Might not have the depth you need or want. The Elderberry Wine is stunning.

• Tammi Vetter_Miles
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok, sold, eggplant it is. Tibbrix, I do like the Vintage Charm a lot but a BM store is not local so I will find something similar at SW. I am doing it this week and will take a photo to update. THANK YOU! Especially Patricia and Tibbrix for nudging me where I want to go anyway, appreciate it!

• brit5467
    9 years ago

Have u tried going on Pinterest? You have to join but no different than joining GW. No spam afterwards.

Search front door colors. Or front doors (I forgot what I used). You will be amazed at all the beautiful pics. And see some unusual colors you would never think of.

bonnie

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Check out SW Exclusive Plum (SW 2014 color of the year). VEry similar to BM's Vintage Charm, dusky "grown-up" purple.