Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carsonheim_gw

Help me pick fabrics for kitchen!

carsonheim
9 years ago

Howdy! I'm working on fabrics for my new kitchen. I have a window seat at one end where I'll have a dining table. Also, I will have chairs upholstered as well as counter stools. Here's the layout:

The toile is what I'll be using on windows. I need to coordinate fabric for window seat and maybe pillows, as well as chairs and stools.

The paint chips there are walls, cabinets, ceiling in that order.

Choice One:

Choice two:

Choice three:

Would love to hear some feedback.

Thanks!

Comments (45)

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I like 2 the best, then 1. I don't care for 3, but I'm not an animal print person. I actually think you can successfully use two more prints since you have numerous items to cover.

Love your colors...it's going to be a lovely kitchen.

• yayagal
    9 years ago

I like one and then three.

• Kitch4me
    9 years ago

I like 2 for window seat and 3 for pillows. I really like the cheetah print, looks great with the toile!

• Kitch4me
    9 years ago

I like 2 for window seat and 3 for pillows. I really like the leopard print, looks great with the toile!

This post was edited by kitch4me on Sun, Apr 20, 14 at 0:17

• Oakley
    9 years ago

The first two fabrics are too big for the toile, IMO. I also think they're too modern looking to work with toile.

The animal print is the perfect size print for the curtains. Not long ago I would have cringed at the thought of using animal print, but it's come a long way in decorating. I want some myself. lol

Curtains - large print. Seat/pillows - small print.

• musicteacher
    9 years ago

I'm intrigued by your using the blue on the ceiling. I never would have thought of that but now I can't wait to see it! I love your floral fabric.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I like the flame best...#1.

• nhbaskets
    9 years ago

I'm not an animal print lover either, but I'm really liking #3. Scale is perfect. Love that you're going with a blue ceiling!

• clt3
    9 years ago

I like the flame stitch, a classic not contemporary. I am not an animal print lover. #2 is too contemporary for the floral.

• Ilene Perl
    9 years ago

I also like the flame stitch a lot, and don't really like animal fabric. I like your idea of using a blue ceiling, can't wait to see it.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I know you didn't ask about this, but I'm not so sure about the Palladian Blue with the toile. I think Palladian Blue has a very Easter-egg/green/yellow look to it, whereas toile blue tends to be softer and grayer. Blues can really clash and they're hard to pair.

How about BM French Toile?

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Sun, Apr 20, 14 at 10:08

• patricianat
    9 years ago

I believe flame stitch is classic and looks gorgeous with the floral you have chosen. I do not like #2 at all. So, #1, #3 and #2. I like the paint chips you have chosen for #1 as well. I think I could just move in once you have finished it.

• msrose
    9 years ago

I don't like #1 and #2 at all, so I would pick #3, but I'd actually like to see some more choices, maybe some smaller prints or stripes. What is the name of the fabric?

This post was edited by msrose on Sun, Apr 20, 14 at 10:18

• Boopadaboo
    9 years ago

3 or 2. Love 3!

• patricianat
    9 years ago

It is my understanding that when you are using two different prints, such as flame stitch, animal or the other print, there should be a very large difference in size of print, therefore, making it look planned and not by mistake. So, I think the animal print is far too small to make that statement, the reason I would not have chosen it. I think the jingle/jangle of #2 is not in the same league with the toile or the others. It looks more elementary and not grown-up. I like the classicism of the flame stitch or the animal print but think the animal print is far too small.

• done_again_2
    9 years ago

I'd pick #1 of the three shown. Before reading the responses I thought the blue paint may not be the right one either. If on the ceiling and some distance from the fabric it might be different.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I would try to find fabric with blue gray instead of blue green. The colors of the flame stitch, with that turquoise, reminds me of the Southwestern decorating colors of the 80s.

I don't know fabrics well, but there has to be something that pairs better with toile than leopard prints and bold geometrics. It feels like you're color matching but not really coordinating the patterns.

This post was edited by may_flowers on Sun, Apr 20, 14 at 11:27

• carsonheim
    Original Author
    9 years ago

wow, y'all are awesome! Quite a range of favorites among the group.

These fabrics were all from Joann Fabrics. That's the ONLY place we have in town (well, except for Hobby Lobby which has a paltry selection...). And as you all know, colors online are RARELY close to what you get in real life, so I really need to see the fabrics in person. I'm about 1.5 hours from Houston. I might have to travel there to some of the larger fabric showrooms to see what they have.

I'm committed to the Tulip Toile, so finding the coordinates to go with it is the biggest issue. It does have just a hint of green undertone to the fabric. Smokey blue with a hint of green. I really like the idea of mixing a geometric with the toile so it's a little lighter and not so serious.

Here's the style I'm doing my window treatments:

[Traditional Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by Charlotte Interior Designers & Decorators Katie Emmons Design

The cheetah print, I'm considering doing as a contrast on the window treatments. I could do the toile for the main panels, then the cheetah for the strappy looking pieces????

Also, maybe do counter stools with one fabric on the front and a different one on the reverse, like these chairs:

[Traditional Living Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-living-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_718~s_2107) by San Francisco Interior Designers & Decorators Melanie Coddington

Decisions, decisions! It's all so much to think about :)

• peony4
    9 years ago

I'll chime in, if you're still taking suggestions.

Love the toile. The flame stitch reminds me of upholstery in an RV (sorry, that was my first reaction to it). #2 doesn't play well with the toile. And the animal print tries too hard.

I recommend a striped fabric to complement the toile.

Or, have you considered using only the toile for all your fabric needs? One pattern used throughout a room is a look itself, and can be quite harmonizing. It's not for everyone, though.

• cozyplace
    9 years ago

I just love those colors. Always am drawn to them. Alas, I would have to completely change all my accessories to start over with a new palette. I do like the scale of #3 and think your kitchen is going to be gorgeous when completed. I do hope you come back and post the finished pictures so we can drool over them!

• jjam
    9 years ago

What about a stripe? I agree that the scale of the coordinating fabric needs to be a bold contrast. I am a flame stitch fan and like the concept but also think the one you have chosen reads a bit too turquoise.

Have you ever checked out www.fabricguru.com? They have a great website that is easy to navigate, and they also send samples very reasonably. They also accept returns on some fabrics, (I think the ones which are pre-cut) which are often heavily discounted.

Good Luck and keep us posted. Your kitchen is going to be gorgeous.

• jjam
    9 years ago

What about a stripe? I agree that the scale of the coordinating fabric needs to be a bold contrast. I am a flame stitch fan and like the concept but also think the one you have chosen reads a bit too turquoise.

Have you ever checked out www.fabricguru.com? They have a great website that is easy to navigate, and they also send samples very reasonably. They also accept returns on some fabrics, (I think the ones which are pre-cut) which are often heavily discounted.

Good Luck and keep us posted. Your kitchen is going to be gorgeous.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Agree with Peony and jjam.

If you want to do a counter pattern with the toile, perhaps see if you can find the same pattern but in the reverse of the colors, i.e.: "x-ray", so blue gray flowers on a beige background for the "strappy" parts of the valance. Might be hard to find, though.

Otherwise, I'd go with either a solid in the blue gray, or a much more subtle pattern that the ones you chose.

• voila
    9 years ago

Your kitchen is going to be beautiful. The toile fabric appears to be P Kaufman tulip toile in robin's egg blue. It comes across more gray blue in the photos. If it IS robin's egg blue, that is the color to look for when coordinating. For seating you need upholstery weight fabric and some silkiness to be able to slide in and out. I don't know if you need 3 fabrics in that area, but small or large checks also go with toile. Here is another P Kaufman upholstery fabric in robin's egg blue with light brown dots to match your toile.

• voila
    9 years ago

Forgot to tell you the name of the fabric--Montrichard.

• carsonheim
    Original Author
    9 years ago

voila -- that's really nice. Thank you! I will add it to my list of possibilities.

The tulip toile really is more robin's egg than how it appears on the screen photos. This is a more accurate representation, but even still, IRL there is a smidge more green to it

• voila
    9 years ago

I know what you mean about the color, mine didn't show up right either, but does match yours. You can use contrasting trim as an element also, or ribbon for the roman shades. The toile would be great on the chairs, but not very sturdy.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Oh wow, LOVE that fabric voila put up!

• tinam61
    9 years ago

I have seen the toile fabric IRL and if I remember correctly, isn't it a bit more aqua colored than your blue paint? I love the toile fabric and I would continue looking for companion fabrics. I'll be honest and say that I am not crazy about any of the companion fabrics. I'm thinking there is a small check fabric that would look good with the toile but I cannot remember who the manufacturer is! I would look at some of the on-line sites fir companion fabrics and order some samples. I do that all the time as we do not have many fabric sources in my area.

Beautiful colors. I have alot of the aqua/turquoise colors in our home.

tina

• carsonheim
    Original Author
    9 years ago

yes tinam, it is a teeny bit aqua. The intent is to play off of my butlers pantry which will be painted the color of a Tiffany box. Of course, it's not an exact match, and there is a wall between the butler's pantry and the kitchen with an opening between them. But it will "reference" the tiffany blue in the other space.

I'm gonna hit up some of the fabric places in Houston. I have a feeling I can find a great variety of fabrics there! I *do* love the cheetah print, though. I'm gonna have to figure out how to include it as a small accent!! :)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I love your toile; i do believe i've seen it in person. And I think it works well with your paint. I love the idea of chairs/stools using two fabrics.

I think the cheetah works best. However, I am afraid that unless you are on top of it it might read like a solid, which would be disappointing IMHO. I also am not wild about cheetah interpreted in blue.

Fabrics, patterns, colors, names, are all kind of Rohrschach-y. (sp?) I know, intellectually, flame is very classic, but to me it is very 70s and hence old fashioned (unless one were going intentionally MCM). I feel the same way about the other fabric. Too Don and Meghan Draper. You want Betty Draper.

I agree that the toile would work better with a check or plaid or stripe; at least that is a common pairing. I might use an animal print, but not in the same colorway as your toile; eg a brown and cream zebra?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I had this on a MBR headboard once. I forget who the co was, but it was an old line like Schumacher or B&F

• Oakley
    9 years ago

I'm leaning towards stripes also. Stripes work well with toile, but the key to the second fabric is scale. Ticking size stripes would be perfect.

Many online fabric stores will sell small swatches of fabric so you can see the fabric in person.

The most important thing is scale. Small with large.

• carsonheim
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Who needs to pay an interior designer when I have all you fabulous GWers!!????

Okay, so mlweaving gave me some good advice over on the building a house forum regarding stepping back and thinking about having a mission statement for my home. That's something I think I'll work on. In the meantime, I've got some new fabric ideas -- I found another local design and upholstery shop with a GREAT selection of fabrics -- who knew???

Anyhow, I spent some time there and came up with some new choices that I think might look much better. I still do love the idea of sneaking in a bit of the animal print, but I've also found myself drawn to the dots/diamond theme and also found some nice stripes. I'm sure if I spent another couple of hours there I'd find even more.

In light of mlweaving's advice, I thought I'd post here a kitchen moodboard incorporating not only the fabrics and paint, but also some other elements that I've already chosen. As a reminder, here's the floor plan:

And here are the elements of design:

The sink, two crystal chandys, bronze chandy are already a done deal -- already purchased. I hope they don't clash!!

The bronze chandy goes down in the breakfast area, and the crystal chandys go over the island.

The cooktop wall will be an exact replica of what you see here. The backsplash design is the Grace Placque by Encore ceramics. It will have shades of light aqua, copper and ivory. I'm planning on glass knobs with antique brass base on uppers, antique brass pulls on lowers, and I *love* the basketweave cup pulls -- still trying to decide if they have a place in my kitchen or if they push it over the edge.

So there's a more cohesive overview of what I'm doing. So let me have it. What do you think? Is it too much? Or am I going to be okay????

Also, I'd love feedback on the fabrics if anyone is feeling extra generous tonight :)

• mlweaving_Marji
    9 years ago

Carsonheim, IMHO the fabrics you chose today are Great! Any one of them, (except maybe #3, the cotton) would make great chair seats, play well with the other elements in the room, and let the toile be the star of the show while they assume supporting roles.
    Also, IMO, the basket pull is just a wee bit OTT and I'd leave it out of the mix.
    It's coming together beautifully.

edit because I got my #'s mixed up

This post was edited by mlweaving_Marji on Thu, Apr 24, 14 at 9:46

• jdez
    9 years ago

I think #5 is my fave. Like peas and carrots.

• msrose
    9 years ago

So much better! I love everything!

• voila
    9 years ago

Wonderful choices. Whatever you choose will look beautiful. Do you have just a small number of places you could use the basket weave pull? They are a little over the top, but I think your kitchen could certainly handle them in a small dose. You have an eye for color and design.

• theclose
    9 years ago

Beautiful!! Love the fabrics. I lean towards 3 & 4, then 5. I just like the stripes and cheetah.

• jill302
    9 years ago

Your choices are just beautiful! Love, love the toile. Can't wait to see the finished kitchen!

• sunfeather
    9 years ago

I love all of it! Can y'all come over to my house when you're finished here?

• jackson2348
    9 years ago

Carson, I think it's beautiful. All very elegant, and perfectly coordinated. I'd love to see you put a bit of the zebra mtnrd posted too. I think it might add a hit of fun, and keep the space from being too serious.

• carsonheim
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone. I'm feeling much better about it now. I've actually decided to interview a few designers/decorators to see if I can benefit from their input. I'm concerned about overall flow and cohesiveness and don't want to spend a bunch of $$ and end up wondering what went wrong... Hoping a decorator can ensure the flow through the entire home feels right.

• CaroleOH
    9 years ago

I am so glad you posted the second fabric choices and the board of all your planned kitchen design looks perfect.

I thought the flame stick and the geometric were just to contemporary with the toile and while I liked the cheetah print, it is a bit much for a large item. I think it would look nice on the back of a chair, or maybe as a lumbar pillow.

Love the #4 stripe. My only other input is to match fabric texture. If one is a linen flat fabric, then I usually do not like a shiny satiny fabric, to coordinate with it but will look for one that is more matte.

Don't forget a nice rug in the room. I love traditional wool oriental type patterned rugs. Pottery barn is having a big sale and they have several in that gray/blue color.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

I am sticking my neck out here in order that my head be chopped off. I don't like the stripes. Your cabinets have linear molding which looks a stripe in situ and you have linear flooring which serves as a stripe. JMHO and possibly stupid but I would stay away from stripes for that reason, but just ignore me because you have good taste and I am sure whatever you do will be lovely. I love all your choices, even the basketweave pull which I might not use for other reasons, but they are fine.