Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rehsanipoor_gw

I want pictures of kitchen tables!

rehsanipoor
13 years ago

So we're buying a new house and I've never furnished anything in my life! I've posted in the kitchen forum but am not getting help. Maybe this is the more appropriate place for the thread...

I have a big family (and growing). I would love to see pictures of your kitchen tables to get some ideas. Include where you got it and what it cost!

Is my table supposed to match the wood of the cabinets??

Help, I'm clueless! I've included a link to a picture of my kitchen in case you have some brilliant ideas for me!

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen

Comments (38)

• ksoxgrl
    13 years ago

How many are you looking to seat? I envision a large round pedastal type table with a mix of black and stained woods? Sorry I don't have a pic but I'm sure you'll get other replies :) Beautiful kitchen BTW!

• nhb22
    13 years ago

Where is the space that the table will go? Is it near the ends of the island (next to the dining room opening) or nearer the glass door?

We have a round glass table that only seats 4, because of limited space in our breakfast area, so my table will not be helpful to you.

• Oakley
    13 years ago

What a beautiful home! I'd love to see more pictures. :)

You can get some great tables and wood chairs at most large furniture stores at inexpensive prices.

Before you shop though, take measurements of the area where the table and chairs will go, take a tape measure with you to the store and measure the table and include space for the chairs.

Usually for me, when I see something that "clicks" in a furniture store, it ends up being a good match.

Another thing, decide on the style of how you want to decorate your home. My style is "country-farm", so I have a large Farm Table with wood chairs to match. All are sturdy and well made and not too expensive. Actually we paid more for the chairs because we had to get 8 of them and we bought them separately. But they'll last a lifetime.

• Oakley
    13 years ago

Forgot to add, since you have a growing family I wouldn't get chairs with cushions on them. lol

• rehsanipoor
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just figured out how to insert the picture here.

I would want the table to seat 8. I'm a little nervous of glass top because my kids are small and their heads seem to be colliding with things often! I know glass would also require me to use excess amounts of windex to remove lots of little hand prints.

The table will go roughly in front of the sliding glass doors. I included a few more pics.

Are you supposed to match your table to your cabinet color? I'm having so much trouble finding pictures of kitchens that include the table so that I can see how people make it all work!

I'll try to include some more pictures of the house soon as I have LOTS of questions :).

• amykath
    13 years ago

You could go with a big round or oblong table. Or just get a round and add the leaf.

Here is a photo of my old table (in my old house). I think you go with roud or oblong it will help soften some hard edges.

I might try and break away from matching the cabs... maybe use a darker color like one in your granite or even lighter. I am a fan of slight or even obvious contrast.

{{!gwi}}

• nhb22
    13 years ago

Imam just noticing that you have two ovens/cooktops, sinks and microwaves. Is that because of all the children? Did you design the kitchen or did it already come that way?

• Oakley
    13 years ago

Very astute, NHB, I only noticed it when you pointed it out! Boy, wouldn't that kitchen be great for Thanksgiving dinners? lol

Table. I'd get a dark one to match your cabs or granite in this instance.

I also like the idea of an oblong table, or even a rectangle table. I don't think round would look good, and it would have to be huge to fit 8 people.

I REALLY want to see the rest of your house, particular the room to the "right" of the kitchen in the first picture.

Do you mind if I ask how many square feet your home is? It looks like a really nice size! And I love that granite, it's a perfect match for the cabinets.

• amck2
    13 years ago

I'm reading traditional/transitional as the style of your home based on the cabinet style/stain and the moulding in the room to the right. Is that the direction you're leaning toward in your furnishings?

If you're planning on the table going in the tiled area in front of the sliders, it would help to know what is planned for the carpeted area adjoining it. Will that be a playroom-family room?

I think we could offer better suggestions if we had a feel for how formal/casual you want the place to be. Will the table be used for all your family's meals, or will breakfast and lunch be served on the island? If so, you'll want to think about coordinating counter stools w/ your table & chairs, I think.

Where you have a lot of matching cabinetry & the stained island, I'm thinking of a different color for your table - maybe black, which goes back to your appliances - and perhaps a mix of black & stained chairs. If it's your everyday meal table, that seems a little less formal to me.

• chicagoans
    13 years ago

I agree that you don't need to match your cabinets.

Will you always have 8 at that table, or just sometimes? If the 8 seats are for when you have guests, you might want to consider a table with leaves so you can extend it when needed but keep it small when you don't. (See the link for some good visuals of how many chairs fit at a table.)

My personal preference is a style with standard 4 legs, one on each corner. Tables with trestles, big pedestals, etc. can be uncomfortable depending on where you are seated because there is limited leg room. (For example in the pictures from RH below, the tables are pretty but IMO there are certain seats that would have limited/uncomfortable leg room.) So I would recommend you go somewhere that you can actually sit at the table, and try every seat to see how it feels.

Tables that are pretty but impractical:

A more practical style for big groups:
    {{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Dining table size / seating guide

• amykath
    13 years ago

Nice choices Chicago!!!

Amy

• stolenidentity
    13 years ago

I like the set aktillary showed, that would look lovely! Black and another wood color would look awesome:

http://www.diningtables.com/dining-table-sets/casual-dining-sets/hamptondiningsetblackoak.cfm

• rehsanipoor
    Original Author
    13 years ago

wow, I love this website. Everybody is so helpful.

We have double everything because we are Jewish and keep all of our meat and dairy foods separate. That means separate dishes,cookware, dishwasher, etc. Kosher kitchens need tons of cabinet space! So there's the answer to that crazy mystery!

I have no idea what my style is... I've been renting a dumpy little house for a long time. This is my first "home"! All my furniture is hand-me-down so I guess I need to figure that all out now. I can tell you that I love the pottery barn catalogue!! Does that help? :)

I want the kitchen to be casual. We have a formal dining room for fancier meals. The adjoining room with carpet will be a playroom/den. We have five at the table for all meals and often have my parents which makes 7. Our hope is to have more kids and I want this table to last. So that's why I said 8.

I'm sure many meals will be eaten at the island (or in carseats!) but we do try to eat as a family in the evening.

Sasafras I really like the table you posted! I like how it ties in the black and keeps it casual. A definite possibility!

I'll try to post more pics but have a naked three year old running around the house! Yikes!

• rehsanipoor
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So here are a few more pictures of the main floor. I'm just including the highlites as not to bore you with pics of the laundry room!
    LIving Room

Dining Room

Foyer

Stairs

The square footage insn't included in realestate listings in Maryland very often. We are having it appraised by the Morg. broker this week so I should know the exact square footage then.

It's a lovely home and we are very excited. It's unfortunate that we have to fill it with our stuff!

• donnawb
    13 years ago

Congrats on your new home and what a beauty you got.

• chicagoans
    13 years ago

Congratulations! That's a great house! Really lovely space and I love the coffered ceiling in the living room.

It will be fun to furnish, but don't be in too much of a hurry. Furniture is so expensive, so take your time and don't worry if you have a few empty spaces. (More room for the kids to run around!)

• nhb22
    13 years ago

This is very interesting. I learn something new everyday! I have known several Jewish families over the years and none have a kitchen like yours. I think they have separate refrigerator's, but don't most of us have an extra fridge or freezer at our homes? Do you also have a second fridge/freezer someplace? I don't see a space for another.

I am curious if you bought the home unfinished and then finished the kitchen to house all the extra appliances, or did you have to re-do the kitchen?

I also like the idea of mixing woods with black.

FYI - It's not just the little hand prints that need to be wiped off a glass top table. My husband has big hand prints! lol

• homebodymom
    13 years ago

I would love to see a beautiful rectangular farmhouse table in there similar to the last pic posted by chicagoans. Your home is beautiful.

• crazyhouse6
    13 years ago

Mine came from Cost Plus World Market. It's casual, very kid friendly and inexpensive. They have many great options. If you don't have a store in your area, you can also shop online.

Beautiful house. Enjoy it!

• juddgirl2
    13 years ago

This is my dining table from Restoration Hardware. It's 9 ft long but has two extension leaves on each end that can extend it to 12 feet total. Without the leaves, it seats 10 comfortably. They offer the same table in a 7 ft size that extends to 10 ft.

It's unfinished wood so you could stain or wax it a darker color if the pine is too light.

• rehsanipoor
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The house was built with the kosher kitchen. It's an area that has a large Jewish population and so almost all the new constructions are built to accommodate those needs. There will be only one fridge. It's very exciting as I have a very small kitchen now.

I'm heading to the Cost World Plus website! Thanks for everybody's help. I know I'm going to have a ton of questions and need for opinions as we go!

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

Wow....what a gorgeous home!!!

Only my own opinion, but I would go with a rectangular table in a wood to match the kitchen cabinets. You might find a bench option would be helpful with a large family. I agree to avoiding upholstery unless you can wipe it off. Have fun shopping. Don't know if you have RC Willey, but these are nicely priced.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

...or....more traditional (which I like)

{{!gwi}}

• rehsanipoor
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I really like this table. What would you call it? I wanted to search for one like it but wasn't sue what to search for! Do you think this could work in my kitchen?

• stolenidentity
    13 years ago

That table is awesome resanipoor! I don't know what to call it, but it's perfect. It's gonna be expensive I bet!! Do a search for black wood dining set and see what comes up. Use Bing :)

• tinam61
    13 years ago

Yes! I love the table you are showing. I definitely WOULD NOT match the table to the cabinets. That would be too much (in my opinion). You need more of a contrast and I agree that black would look fabulous!

As there are only two of us (always have been, always will be LOL), we have no need for more than one fridge/freezer (in response to NHB's question). I understand the concept of Kosher, never thought about two of each appliance to do so. Cool!

tina

• hoyamom
    13 years ago

My table is from Saloom (I think that is how to spell it). You can pick out your table design and then the chair design. We got fabric on the chairs but they come without fabric too. Ours is a boat shape with a pedestal and will open up to seat 8. My cabinets are a mocha and the table looks good with the cabinets and the hardwood floor.

• suzienj
    13 years ago

here's mine! good luck!
    {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}"Photobucket">

• rehsanipoor
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow! Those are some fantastic tables and kitchens! Thank you all so much. I am definitely getting a sense of what I like which is a good start.

• newdawn1895
    13 years ago

{{!gwi}}

• summiebee
    13 years ago

I have a long black rectangular table with black chairs. I see a rectangular one there that extends out. You have a TON of room! The house is great!

Here is our table. ***Please excuse the fact that the wine buffet just arrived yesterday and what is on the top is just temp. the room was recently painted and I have nothing on the walls!

{{!gwi}}

• rehsanipoor
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow!! So many beautiful tables. Here is what we finally ordered. The carpenter just sent us pictures of it before he got ready to ship it. Hopefully we'll love it! Thanks for all the pictures and advice

Here is a link that might be useful: table

• chinchette
    13 years ago

Hoyamom, I like your Saloom table. Could you tell me the dimensions of it without the leaves? Thanks if you are around.

• Melissa Houser
    13 years ago

If I may ask, how will you keep kosher with only one fridge? Do you use separate areas for different items? I'm asking because my best friend is Jewish and has two completely separate kitchens. They built the second on in place of their patio when they purchased their house.

• chinchette
    13 years ago

I think that may be left up to some interpretation how far you are going to take it. My brother keeps kosher and has one fridge, one oven two sections of sink, separate dishes and utensils for meat or dairy, etc. I don't think there were refrigerators when the concept was originated. :)

• aleighjc
    13 years ago

May I ask what city/state you are from? We are Jewish too. Just wondering. We're in Lawrenceville, GA outside of Atlanta. Hoping to move to Dunwoody so my daughter can grow up with a few Jewish friends, right now we don't know anyone in our area that is Jewish. I have heard dunwoody has a large Jewish population.

• newdawn1895
    13 years ago

I love those trestle tables.

Dunwoody is gorgeous, all those big homes on tree lined streets.

.....Jane

• hoyamom
    13 years ago

Chinchette - sorry it took me so long to post - the table is 48 inches across.

• wi-sailorgirl
    13 years ago

Here's my trestle table. It's actually a Restoration Hardware Camden table that I found damaged at the RH outlet and bought at huge discount. We cut it down to fit the space we needed and I painted it. Kindly ignore the giant bare wall. I'm still looking for the right piece of artwork for that space.

Sponsored
My Kitchen And Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars48 Reviews
Virginia-Based, Leading Kitchen and Bath Remodeler Since 1994