Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kmarcel

Tired of red front door, need suggestions

Karen Marcely
10 years ago

I am a fan of red doors, but I'm ready for a change and have no clue what color to change to. My house is a split, beige color (BM Annapolis Grey) with colonial blue shutters and a brown roof. My door obviously is a red. I would like to change the red to something, but what???

Previously I had dark purple and before that was burgundy. I would be willing to change the shutter colors too if there's a door and shutter color that would work with the beige and brown roof. I like black shutters and maybe a different color door, but the brown roof wouldn't go with the black, in my opinion anyhow.

Somewhere on this forum I read someone suggesting a navy door. Not sure how that would go with my current colors, especially the colonial blue shutters.

Just looking for something different and would appreciate any suggestions. Sorry I don't have a photo.

Comments (32)

• patricianat
    10 years ago

Did I hear someone say they were willing to change shutters and then did not know if navy would blend with the colonial shutters? LOL. We want to see your house. Can you do a picture for us? If not, I am going to spend the next few hours looking at color combinations anyway.

• crl_
    10 years ago

How do you feel about grass green?

Here is a link that might be useful: [Houzz ideabook on green front doors[(https://www.houzz.com/magazine/front-and-center-color-when-to-paint-your-door-green-stsetivw-vs~4068981)

• teacats
    10 years ago

How about this wonderful green for the shutters and the front door?

Here is a link that might be useful: BM -- Oak Grove 489

• teacats
    10 years ago

Or:

Paint out the shutters in the same color -- Annapolis Gray -- and then add this wonderful yellow to the front door .....

Here is a link that might be useful: BM Sweet Butter 171

• Karen Marcely
    Original Author
    10 years ago

teacats and crl you both have me thinking about the green shades. Green is my favorite color. I need to do a door that is light or bright because it's recessed back in on my porch and has a full glass storm door, which the reflection from the glass makes the door colors hard to show up. When I had the dark purple and maroon shades you couldn't tell what color it was from the street.

The butter color is also really nice. Would I keep my blue shutters? Would it then look too pastel and tropical with the blue and yellow? Also, if I went with green what color would I do the shutters?

I also thought about a turquoise - not bright but a nice shade and maybe make the shutters a shade darker than the house. Would that look too boring with the shutters and house a tone on tone look?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I love a shiny dark chocolate brown on a door...

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Pics would be very helpful.

Brown and black go together very well on house exteriors.

With Annapolis Gray siding and Colonial blue Shutters, I agree with Annie that a glossy chocolate brown would be beautiful. Brown with a gray or black undertone, not a plum/raisin.

I love, love, love Benjamin Moore Midsummer Night

• crl_
    10 years ago

Depending on the shade of green, you might be able to leave your shutters blue, I think. But you could also paint them dark brown. Or a darker shade of the green you choose for the door.

• Karen Marcely
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I found a picture that at least shows all the colors, house, shutters, door, and a little bit of the roof.

I am really torn. I like the brown idea also, along with the butter and green!

I do like keeping some blue in there somewhere. If you notice I painted my porch ceiling blue.

• crl_
    10 years ago

I think you could keep the blue shutters and the blue ceiling and paint the door grass green. I would paint the sidelight the trim color though so the door stands out more.

If you decide on yellow, I think I would paint the shutters navy blue.

I wouldn't choose brown, parltly because I don't like dark brown painted wood as it cn seem like a faux wood finish, but more because I don't think it will stand out under your porch. But that's just my preference.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

As I've mentioned many times, one of my favorite color combinations is chocolate brown and gray/blue.

I'd paint the shutters and porch ceiling in Van Courtland Blue, the door in a chocolate brown (which would go very nicely with your chairs!), and I'd paint the trim a nice cool, deep mocha, including porch railing.

Here is BM Van Courtland Blue (which I've got in two rooms in my house and it is truly a fantastic blue, including for exteriors. Google it!) with chocolate brown. Beautiful.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

With a gray mocha, maybe BM Woodcliff Lake

• FSachs
    10 years ago

I like the Woodcliff Lake that Tibbrix posted.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I'd be lazy and stick with the blue porch ceiling and shutters, but go with the darkest blue on that strip for the door, i.e. Hudson Bay.
    I'd also add a flower pot in the dark blue and pillows in the dark and light blue and cream/gray.

• crl_
    10 years ago

Here's a blue, green, brown design seed to help a little with that potential color scheme.

Here is a link that might be useful: Design seed

• Karen Marcely
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow I guess there are alot of possibilities! crl, I like the idea of the of the butter color door and navy shutters. I also like nosoccermoms color scheme. Those pillows are beautiful.

Tibbrix, the blue and browns do look really nice. I'm a little confused about the trim color you suggested. Isn't a deep mocha the same as a dark brown? You have a red sample color shown. Where would that go? If I change all the trim, alot of work, not sure I'm up to that, but I have white garage doors and the gutters are white. What would I do with those?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I vote against brown with the color of your house. I would go with a blue, perhaps just a more vibrant one

• Olychick
    10 years ago

I, too, think brown would look like you tried to have a wood door, but missed the mark. If you leave the shutters blue, I love the dark blue that nosoccermom posted.

If you are open for painting the shutters and like yellow for your door, I'd consider a grey for the shutters:

And here is a nice blue that would look great with grey shutters:

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I think Tibbrix needs to finally paint something in Midsummer Night or Midnight, and I have to finally paint something in dark blue. Otherwise we'll keep on posting these color suggestions for doors, powder rooms, living rooms, chairs, cabinets, etc.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

nosoccermomâ¦and the Vintage Charm!

I've also fallen in love with Woodcliff Lake now.

Anyway, I suspect many, if not most, of us are here to live vicariously through others all those things we wish we had! Butyou're right. I am thinking about painting my LR in Midsummer Night next fall. But with a pine ceiling, not sure if it will be too dark.

Now thinking about painting my MB in Woodcliff Lake. It's now got BM Cape Hatteras Sand, which is a beautiful, spa-like color in most light..but in one light, too much purple shows through.

Sometimes I see a situation and I feel very certain about my vision and probably come off as a tad pushy!

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

kmarcel, the Woodcliff Lake is much, much lighter, but complimentary, with the Midsummer Night. Woodcliff Lake is a gray mocha, while Midsummer Night is a gray chocolate, very dark.

I do think the combo would be stunning on your house, but it does pose some problems, namely any unpaintable trim, such as the windows and the screen door. You could get a bronze screen door, though.

I believe gutters and downspouts can be painted. Or again you'd want to switch them out for bronze colored pieces with this color scheme.

Mocha, chocolate brown, and gray blue (all three colors have a very gray base) like Van Courtland is a very beautiful color combination. I think a glossy door in the midsummer night would not be a problem and would, in fact, look very good with the chairs you've got and the Van Courtland ceiling and Woodcliff Lake trim.

Might help to get samples and paint swatches in combos on a piece of paper or cardboard. HOwever, if you can't paint any of the white trim, that might be a problem. Windows are expensive to replace.

• Karen Marcely
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tibbrix, those colors do look really nice together, but that would be alot of work to paint everything. It would be a very different look from what I have. I don't think I would like the garage doors the same color as the trim, as it seems like too much brown and then it seems the white would be out of place since all the trim would be darker.

Still thinking about that Hudson Bay. I may get a quart size this weekend and try it out.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Well, you can always go for a design seed for inspiration....

For example the soft teal or the cocoa brown

Or a more contemporary green

Or head into the lavender tones

Or keep it all very soft

Or perhaps it's just that shade of red you tire of and another shade would give it the update you need....maybe BM Georgian Brick...

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Well, I"m all for putting in the work when it comes to long-term changes. However, I totally get where you are coming from, esp. re: the garage door.

I think nosoccermom's Hudson Bay is gorgeous and would look fantastic on the shutters, door, and ceiling. Another beautiful deeper blue is BM A Thousand Oceans; also BM Montpelier.

• crl_
    10 years ago

Dash and Albert has an indoor outdoor rug that you could use on the porch with blues and green. If you like the idea of a green door, maybe this would pull it together.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dash and Albert pond rug

• Karen Marcely
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, my head is spinning with all these awesome ideas. Annie I love those colors, especially the first group with the teal. What about the teal door as shown in the 2nd from the right sample and the color next to it (in the middle) for my shutters? It's darker than my house, but not too dark. Or Tibbrix's Woodcliff lake for the shutters? Also like that brick color.

The more I think of it, I'm ready to get rid of the blue shutters, but keep a blue, be it a teal or the Hudson Bay for the door. And again keep the shutters similar in color to the house, but a shade or two darker.

Tibbrix, are you saying do the shutters and door the same blue, such as the Hudson? That's also a thought. I could start with the door and just keep going. I'm also all for doing the work for the long-term changes, just have a hard time visualizing. Can you tell me what color you specifically are referring for the trim? It's not as dark as the door or my roof, right? Would I paint my garage door the beige that is my house color?

crl, love that rug. That's why I'm so drawn to the blues, accessories are beautiful.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Do you have a better pic of your house...one that shows more house, more roof...

If so, you can go to one of the paint websites and color it....Pittsburgh, Ben Moore and Sherwin Wms all have versions of the software to upload the pic and then color it.

• Karen Marcely
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Annie, I will try that this weekend.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

I'd either do the shutters and door in the same color, or the shutters in a deeper blue and the doors in a rich, glossy chocolate brown. Either would look great, IMO, with the blue and chairs on your porch. I do think the brown door, though, would offset the amount of blue and balance it all out better. Just my opinion.

Yes, the lighter, Woodcliff Lake mocha for the wood trim, i.e.: around windows, door, porch railing.

without seeing your garage, it's hard to envision what might be good there. I'm also not good at garage door colors. Others here are much better, or so has been my experience in that past.

I guess my thinking is that, since your siding is so pale and rather nondescript, using the woodwork, windows, and door to give the house a wow factor might be a way to go.

• Karen Marcely
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a photo taken this morning. Very gray day here so colors appear much darker than when the sun is shining.

I think if I change the shutter colors, I will paint the window boxes the same as the house color, especially if I go a dark blue.

• crl_
    10 years ago

If you decide to paint the garage doors, I would paint them the color of the body of your house. I would also paint the sidelight the color of the body of the house.