Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oceanna_gw

What did you 'prettify' on the cheap?

oceanna
15 years ago

What did you do that made something prettier and didn't cost you much, or utilized things you already had?

I'm not looking for answers like, "I bought a new couch/flooring/etc." More answers like, "I bought a new butter holder and now when I open the fridge I smile." You know, the little touches that kind of make your day and anyone can do them.

Like what did you do with your leftover fabric, or paint, or wrapping paper, or wallpaper? What did you decoupage? What did you brighten? How did you repurpose something? What did you "prettify?" What little thing did you buy that makes you smile every time you see it? How did you spend just a little bit -- $5-30 maybe and make a difference?

Here's an example from me (sorry the pic isn't better):

See that bookcase-y thing at the bottom of the stairs? I wish I'd taken a before picture of it. It was white and the insides of the shelves were dark green. The handles were square and wooden, and lime green. There were all sorts of drink circles and stuff on the top. It was out in my garden shed and I'd forgotten about it. Used to be in the kid's room.

I hauled it into the garage, threw down a cheap painter's plastic, and sprayed it black after a very light sanding. Very little work. The lions' head pulls that are on it used to be in my guest bath and they got rusty over time. I always loved them. So I cleaned them up, and used a little Plaid acrylic (around $2/bottle) to paint them gold and slapped them on there. Then I put black baskets on the shelves... sorry they don't show up in the photo. Done. Cheap and easy. Actually, the screws on the pulls are too long and I need to remember to get shorter ones next time I hit the hardware store.

And lately, as I mentioned elsewhere, I've been replacing my ugly coffee mugs with pretty ones.

Okay, your turn. Please post pics if you have them, but if you don't, can you take a minute to tell us about it anyway?

Comments (143)

• oceanna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jane, now I see your picture! Your pillow with the pins on it is pretty, and how special that each one holds a memory for you. :)

Newhomebuilder, please can you tell how you did the framing of the silverware? Was that a special frame? What is the backing? How did you attach the pieces so they stay in place, please?

• bonniee818
    15 years ago

Thank you Oceanna! I remember doing a table for DD's apartment that I had posted on a BB but the website MSN closed. It was a plain looking table/desk - big - spray painted the legs black......Sanded the top & stain it with gel stain & viola, it made her a sensational table/desk for her apartment at college. She studies there & eats there. I wish I could find the pic.
    This is of the old house.....I bought the piece above the picture from Bombay........plain white & washed antiqued gold down in the crevices. The picture frame was silver & sponged gold thru it. Made all the toile pillows & the table topper. The envelope style was very easy to make. All these pillow styles were out of one pattern envelope.
    Light sconces I ordered from Ballards . I will keep looking for the table redo pic. Bonnie
    {{!gwi}}

• bonniee818
    15 years ago

Here is another project for new house. Last winter I was dying for new drapes...so tired of the blue, white, yellow french ones. I bought these from a friend off another decorating board that got them off Ebay gently used for a yr. Wrong red for her rug & she let me have them for the price she paid. I sat in the floor & thought how I could make them more custom looking. This is what I came up with. I hung them from short rods with more rings & stuffed a little tissue paper in the rod pocket to make them not so slippery to scrunch. I then scrunched & twisted after folding over the top piece to make a floppy type valance. I was pleased to have a new look for my DR. It is done in reds & golds now. Excuse the spot that DH hadn't filled in with paint yet. Nail holes. Bonnie Also recovered the seat bottoms with some new fabric & got a new rug.

• mollymcb
    15 years ago

ctlane, can I please ask you a dumb question about your door? What did your DH use to cut out the letters after the sheet was stuck to the door? (I'm thinking an Exacto Knife would be in order, but I'd be afraid it would scratch the glass!) I would really love to do this for the pantry door in our new house. Thanks for the inspiration!

• stinky-gardener
    15 years ago

What a fabulous, fabulous thread, Oceanna! Great idea! I knew there was a lot of talent here, but my goodness!

Words can't express how impressed I am with everyone's creativity! This is another thread to tuck away for inspiration. Talk about eye candy!

• ctlane
    15 years ago

Molly, not a dumb question at all. He did use an exacto knife. You won't scratch the glass, just take your time and you only have to press hard enough to get through a piece of paper and a piece of plastic.

Here is his account of what he did step-by-step and the products we used.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to frost a laundry door

• nhb22
    15 years ago

igloochic - How funny! I love the black shade. A black shade would probably look better on my lamp, but I needed more light on my Butler's Pantry, so wen with the lighter color. Where did you get yours?

oceanna - I have no idea how to market wares. LOL

The frame came from Michael's. It's a shadow box that I got half price. The silver is mounted with sticky Velcro and it has held all these years. Although I don't have a photo, I did something similar for my daughter. I mounted her monogrammed silver baby hairbrush below a black and white silhouette that was done of her as a toddler.

• oceanna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bonniee, both of the pictures you posted are magazine pretty. I love how the blue pillows and tablecloth pick up the blue in the pretty painting. The frame and the piece above it look fabulous. I love the new curtains, the scrumptious rug, and your chair seat covers. I wouldn't have thought of stuffing the rod pocket... and I can't see where the floppy valence is. ?

You reminded me I re-upholstered my DR chairs. The white fabric was shredded when I bought them from CL...

In the bird room, the old vinyl shade was falling apart at the bottom. So I covered it with fabric and trimmed off a new bottom to it, and sewed the valance. It's just casual, fun decor... something bright for the parrots to look at.

Oh, and I almost forgot, I hated the fireplace brick. The first picture is before I bought the house. The second picture is the brick after I painted it. Pardon the mirror -- it's not dirty, it's old.

Oh, the windows I made were also not very expensive.

And I did a lot of painting in the guest bath, but here's just one pic.

And over the kitchen sink...

Stinky, thanks! I love this thread too. I keep checking back to see everyone's pretty pictures, and I love "how to's" too.

NHB, thanks for explaining how you did it. That hairbrush pictures sounds wonderful! Got a pic of it?

• bonniee818
    15 years ago

Thanks Oceanna for you sweet compliments! I just popped back in between working in the yard. The floppy valance is just what I call it....the part at top that kinda just ruffles over on the red & gold checked silk drapes in the DR. It is just enough to make a small header so the drapes don't look so plain at the top. Jackiebluehome.blogspot.com wrote a curtain book & asked if she could use my idea in her seminars & on her website. I said "surely", I felt flattered.
    Love your fabric on the DR chairs. That is so pretty! Love the window treatment with coordinating shade - so very pretty! The fp looks marvelous after your redo & love all the pretty stained glass that you did. I think it is some paper you use for the stained glass, isn't it? Oh & the stenciling is awesome! I did that in my former home in the sunroom/den area. I love stenciling. It is so easy & so much fun. Thanks for sharing all your projects.....I really enjoyed looking at them all. awesome job!!!
    Bonnie

• oceanna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bonnie, what a huge compliment for her to ask if she could use your idea! Good on ya!

Thanks so much for all your sweet words. :o)

I didn't use any stencils. The garland of roses around the Mucha painting was just off the top of my head; I made it up as I went along (although I did lightly pencil in the arch shape by drawing around my laundry basket). The sunflowers above the kitchen sink are my copy of a Donna Dewberry design, but just freehanded up there.

I do love stenciling, though. Do you have pictures of what you did? We'd love to see it.

I was an artist at Boeing for 23 years, so I like to do my own thing. No paper on the stained glass. The designs were my own, except the very center of the big design is an old Tiffany design I incorporated into the window. I made the designs on my computer and had Staples print them out full size for me. On the first two windows I transfered the designs on with transfer paper (like carbon paper but not as messy). The huge window over the door I did on my knees on the living room carpet, so just put the pattern under it. The leading (black lines) were part taped (mainly straight lines) and part piped (mainly curved lines) out of a bottle. All the color was piped out of bottles.

They do sell faux stained glass window kits and pattern books at Michaels, though, for anyone who wants to go that way.

You can also buy ready-made window film that all you do is stick it on, and that's super easy.

• bonniee818
    15 years ago

Hi Oceanna....Wow, you go girl with the stained glass look.....that is amazing! YOu are so talented!!!!! I posted on the sunroom thread a picture of the old sunroom with stenciling above the windows if you wanna peek at that thread.......the picture is over there. I didn't understand that maybe the top picture I posted on the drapes in DR....might not have showed up on your computer is what you were meaning so I found this picture on Photobucket I took at Christmas so you can see the whole drape after I finished. I love the red & gold silk check....I was just tired of blue, white & yellow. :) Bonnie

• oceanna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Aw shucks. You can certainly learn to do those windows yourself, if you want.

That sure is pretty, Bonnie! I think I was expecting like a 1-2' long valence, and you're saying the casing acted as the valance? How about a link to where you posted? I scanned for sunroom and found one but no pictures in it.

• abundantblessings
    15 years ago

This is such a wonderful thread. Kudos to all for the creativity shared here.

Special kudos to talented Oceanna for sharing your amazing art and, especially, for all the hard work you put in helping everyone with your gallery threads!!!

• bonniee818
    15 years ago

Hi Oceanna.....Now I know what you mean - ha! Here is the picture of the stenciling in my former home in the sunroom. I only did stenciling on each end of the run of windows at the top above the window & in the corner area. I made most all the pillows, tablerunner & valance & easy reversible shade for the doors in this room. Thanks for your compliments on the drapes & DR! This is the best thread , isn't it?
    Bonnie
    {{!gwi}}

• User
    15 years ago

This is such a treat to check back and see what pretties are posted next. I have never seen so many talented folks in my life. You are inspiring me to try new things. I looked at an antique piano stool that needed the seat recovered...it had those brass heads holding on the old fabric...I actually thought to myself...I bet I could figure this out if I ask on GW !! So maybe I will run by tomorrow and get it as my first upholstering project ...ya'll are amazing...thank you oceanna for starting this and to everyone for being such an ispiration to us all. c

• brutuses
    15 years ago

bonnie, your rooms and decor are so pretty. Please post more rooms for us to see? Start another thread if you're no comfortable posting them on this one, although I don't think anyone would object if you did. Thanks

• bonniee818
    15 years ago

Thank you so much brutuses for your kind & generous compliments! I don't know how many pics I have changed over to Photobucket yet from webshots but have some there. This thread is getting long though so I don't know if I should post too many here & everyone get yawning, ha! Here is the master bathroom though in the new house. We have been here 5 yrs. now. We built in 2004. Also link to Photobucket if you would like to tour. Thanks again for your sweet note! Bonnie

Here is a link that might be useful: Bonnie's

• oceanna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Abundantblessings, thank you so much for your kind words and I'm so happy you enjoy my Gallery threads. :o)

Bonniee, thanks for the pic -- I can barely see your stenciling way up top there. Cool pillows, valance, and table runner. I need to make a table runner for in my DR. Wow! Your master bathroom is just beautiful.

I've finished doing all my kitchen drawers (and cleaning them out too). Gotta decide which drawers or cabinets in the house are next. Should I go ahead and do all the shelves in the kitchen to match the drawers?

• User
    15 years ago

Wow you guys are too much! This thread had a lot of great stuff.

Twizzis - I lovvvee both those pics. Wowzers I can't believe she got rid of that!

Hey Brutuses! Did you finally get all those chairs done? How did you like the new foam and dacron you ordered?

• igloochic
    15 years ago

Newhome...I'd have loved to post my puppy lamps on this thread...but must admit I paid full price at a boutique type floral and home decor store. Just a local store full of quirky stuff that I adore :) I do love them with the black, but they look great with the lighter shade as well. They're flexible little dogs heh heh

I saw those stupid dog lamps and have to admit, I wouldn't have cared if they cost 3 or 30 or 300 or 300000 dollars (ok maybe different towards the end figures LOL) but they're so freaking cute I had to have them. They're a perfect little piece of whimsey, and as you know, they're even better in person (the crackle finish and the purposfully done dirty smudges) :) I'm so happy to see another :) And my dear....you got a great deal LOL

• loribee
    15 years ago

You girls are soooo clever!!! :)

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

Here are a few of mine. Others either I don't have before photos or have just before photos. The ideas here are amazing and so very creative. I pretty much take old cheap stuff and paint and make 'em mine! Ok they arent in order so here goes. The Welsh cabinet was maple and I painted it. It is in my pantry and holds a mix of my GM's nastursium Limoges and GW finds.
    Next the free end table I fixed up with paint and glass pulls DH filled old holes and put on new pulls.
    The rocker was originally dark brown "paper wicker" with a broken rocker thingie.My DH wanted to throw it away but he fixed the rocker and sprayed it with exterior paint. A friend gave it to me no one wanted it at his yard sale and his wife didn't like the set. You shouldve seen the double take when he saw it on the porch. heh heh. The little shelf was a freebie too, dark brown so a bit of paint there too.
    Free fern stand in very bad shape most of the wicker crumbles. Glued painters canvas strips to the sides and painted it. plastic tray in bottom.It lives in DR with begonias.
    Free wicker love seat,was weathered. Painted made cushions. Also made the curtains out of painters drop cloths thanks to thread here. I gotta million of 'em.
    Igloo, Newdawn I love those doggie lamps.
    The dog,Cooper, we got little, fed it and grew a whole dog.LOL

• kitchenkelly
    15 years ago

Wow! Such great pics. Makes me want to work on a new project. Here is one of mine. Les told me to paint my old bench ther same color as my front door (which she picked.) It turned out great. Everytime I get a compliment I think of her. It was a cheap project because I had the old bench and the paint was left over from the door. Thanks again, Les!

Before:

After:

• oceanna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The dog,Cooper, we got little, fed it and grew a whole dog.LOL

Hahahaha! I've got three like that. They came as, "do it yourself dog kits." I love seeing all your projects but the pictures are so teensy for my old eyes. I clicked on them to make them get big but photobucket just gave me excuses, not bigger pics. :o(

Makes me want to work on a new project.

Me too! The pics and stories are so very inspiring.

Your bench looks darling and it goes so nicely with the purple tuplips. Is that a pair of Shelties? I used to have a pair of Shelties, Heather & Willie. Loved them dearly. They sure shed a lot, though.

• User
    15 years ago

Oceanna - I feel silly. I saw your chairs above and thought they were Brutuses. It was a late one last night! I really like the fabric you chose.

• brutuses
    15 years ago

bonnie, thank you so much for sharing your album. Your home is so beautiful.

Shee, are you kidding? I haven't touched those chairs. LOL I switched projects and decided to go outside and plant my front bed. It's completed minus mulch, but I still have some tomato's I want to transfer into large containers.

Now that I won't be moving in for a while. DH said it won't be for at least 3 months, then it will be the heat of summer, so I'll most probably wait till fall now. LOL I'm in no rush to do those chairs. HA! I do plan on getting them done soon hopefully. As soon as I do I'll post photo's.

• User
    15 years ago

oceanna, how did you paint your fireplace brick? I need to paint a few of my exterior paint and was going to use a brick-sized sponge with dabs of color on it, but yours looks very real, not at all painted.

• oceanna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sheesharee, thank you. The darker fabric brings out the beauty of the wood.

Bonnie, I really enjoyed your album. I especially loved the pictures of the Stein piece. Your home is lovely.

Marti8a, basically, I just fauxed it. I got a kitchen sponge and some craft paint (3 colors) and applied all three wet at the same time in small amounts and layers, standing back often to observe my progress and make corrections. It doesn't look painted in person either -- people are very surprised. Just go for it. Paint is only paint, so you can keep on messing with it until you get what you like.

• twizzis
    15 years ago

Thanks, shee. No way would I have gotten rid of it, either.

I hate to add to the load of this thread, but by gosh, do I ever love it! At the risk of repeating myself, you all some clever and talented peeps.

• bonniee818
    15 years ago

Thank you so much brutuses and Oceanna! It was my pleasure to share. This thread has been a big inspiration to me.....so much eye candy & projects!
    Bonnie

• 2ajsmama
    15 years ago

I'm feeling so untalented. I don't do "pretty" - I've been concentrating on woodwork for past couple of years. But I do have some old projects.

Stripped green paint off oak dresser (25 yrs ago), put stickers on pine shelves for DD's room 3 years ago. I also put stickers on the wall over her crib, and on the white ceiling fan blades but no pics of that.

{{!gwi}}

I do decorate cakes - here are some of the wedding cakes I've done, and I do DD's cake every year (ds sometimes wants cupcakes now that he's older, though I used to decorate the Wilton cakes for him too).

First wedding cake I did (2001?). Was a little lopsided.

{{!gwi}}

closeup

{{!gwi}}

This one came out quite well - for my sister in 2002. Over 500 royal icing apple blossoms with edible glitter.

{{!gwi}}

Closeup

{{!gwi}}

My cousin wanted bittersweet chocolate buttercream on a very hot humid day in July. I got the best local fresh-picked berries from the farm (dipped the night b4), made I don't know how many gallons of icing with Hershey's special dark cocoa, froze the cakes as I made them since my oven wasn't big enough to do 5 layers in one day (froze icing too), then iced and decorated it onsite. It was held in my uncle's backyard, it had rained the night b4 and it was downhill from the house so the 2 largest layers went on separate platters to be cut by the caterer, we only used the top 3 layers for the bride and groom to cut. Everything was melting during the ceremony! (The bride wore red)

{{!gwi}}

DD's latest bday cake (the tail came out kind of lumpy though)

{{!gwi}}

• 2ajsmama
    15 years ago

Sorry - here's the whole apple blossom cake

{{!gwi}}

• oceanna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ajsmama, the dresser is beautiful. The shelves are darling. Don't you love decorating for little girls? AJ is a lucky one to have you.

Your cakes look scrumptious! That's quite a skill. I hope little AJ appreciated her mermaid cake. I love the cake with the little pastel flowers on it, and the last one looks so beautifully traditional. Nothing like pressure with that chocolate cake and frosting it at the wedding, eh? Yikes. That chocolate one has my mouth watering. I wonder... could you frost a layer, freeze it, repeat, then stack the frozen layers and do the connecting frosting?

• 2ajsmama
    15 years ago

You could frost a layer and freeze it, but no decorations on it - the colors would bleed, and royal icing would melt. Actually, it's much neater to frost a frozen cake - not as many crumbs as a fresh baked one, even if it's cooled. So it's easier just to freeze the cake and then frost it.

I had chocolate frosting left over, froze it, my dad wanted it on his bday cake 8 months later! I can't find Special Dark cocoa any more. I had to do buttercream for that cake b/c ganache would have been a mess in the heat/humidity, and still the buttercream was melting (cousin didn't want it too sweet so I couldn't load up on confectioner's sugar to stiffen it up). And the strawberries were sweating.

The white cake with the appleblossoms is my favorite - not the best pics, but the bottom and top tiers had 3 rows each, the middle tier was just encrusted with them all over the sides. I was making flowers for a month before that one. Got to my uncle's house to get the key for hall where the shower was (this was actually bridal shower - I was matron of honor so couldn't do wedding cake), nobody was home! Had to get it late that night, we set up in the middle of the night, then I was putting all those little flowers on the cake, hot and humid day in August, no A/C, had just finished when sis's future MIL and SIL arrive - drove from the Hamptons and were early. Of course they were dressed to the nines, I was in shorts and T-shirt sweaty with greasy hair. Excused myself to go to mom's house and shower, dress. I don't think I made a very good 1st impression LOL.

AJ#2 (ds is an AJ as well) just *had* to have Ariel this year for her pool party. Next bday she says she wants a T-Rex cake (not Barbie or princess)! But I have an idea for Cinderella coach cake I can't wait to try.

Oh, I did try building a stone wall under my porch - all finished now except for top course (will do that after we paint or get white vinyl board to cover the frame).

• sweeby
    15 years ago

We did a broken china mosaic on this large old pot!
    Lots of time, but also lots of fun.

• oceanna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm so glad I checked back here!

Ajsmama, I think your little AJ is very proud of her mama's cake decorating abiities. We will need a picture of your stone wall, of course. :)

Sweeby, that looks fantastic! That's one of the prettiest mosaics I've seen. Did you post it over on the mosaics board?

That is quite an apparatus you've got holding that huge pot. Where did you get all the broken china? Did you do the design? Did you just draw the design on and glue all the pieces directly on? I did some mosaic as a kid, but have often thought of doing some as an adult. How long did it take? I've been afraid that once I started I might be sorry when I find out how long it would take.

• sweeby
    15 years ago

Thanks Oceanna -- I don't think I posted it over there because I was afraid they'd tell me I did something horribly wrong! (Which I probably did -- this was my first mosaic project.) Hubby designed and built the 'potholder' for me -- smart guy, isn't he? And that's him doing the grout work -- I just like the design and tiling part. The broken china is mainly from ebay -- so really cheap. Maybe $50 for the whole pot, though there are some one-off's from old family pieces, and the daffodils on the front and back medallions were from two other flower pots that we never used. I came up with the design by looking at the china I had available to work with -- how much red, how much blue & white, how much border, 'medallion-worthy', and added 'ribbons' to separate the various areas and make it look intentional. I drew the design on the computer first, then redrew it on the pot (that 'spinning pot holder' was a lifesaver!) then worked in sections doing one or two sections a day as I felt like it using modified thinset mixed in small batches rather than glue. I also found that my kitchen tools worked perfectly for the small batches I was doing. A mixing bowl and spoon to mix thinset, butter spreader to put thinset on the china pieces and a toothpick to scrape out excess. Took me maybe a month or two? But so much fun I'm ready to do another.

• littledog
    15 years ago

Where we live, there isn't cellphone reception at the house, but you can walk up hill in the goat pen about 600 feet and get through. The thing is, there wasn't anyplace to sit up there, so I picked up this sturdy little lightweight wooden chair at a garage sale for 2 bucks. It was painted a 80's style slate blue, with deliberate 'rub marks' in an attempt to make it look 'old'. The plan was to keep it on the front porch so it would be handy to carry uphill when we needed to use it. I used some custom tinted enamel paint ("Decadent Blue") to cover the whole thing. At first I was just going to write "hi", but then inspiration hit, and I decided to add greetings in Spanish, then French, then Farsi, and before long, it had "hello" in over 25 languages.

The moment of truth came when, cell phone in hand, I finally carried it uphill to make a call. The little chair is *awful*! You can't really tell from the picture, but the back juts too far into the seat and makes it impossible to sit comfortably for more than a few minutes. I was so disgusted, I was just going to leave it outside for a goat toy, but my DD liked it too much and brought it back inside. So it's become a rather large, interesting doorstop in the living room, that is handy to sit on just long enough to slip off your shoes. I have to admit it was fun to see the look on her face when the woman who used to live here came in and read "istonko" (Seminole Indian), so I guess we'll keep it around. Link below is to a larger image, so you can see the different languages (and fonts) I used. How many do you recognize?

Here is a link that might be useful:

• sweeby
    15 years ago

Cute chair Littledog! And I love your idea of a phone chair -- how clever. You know, when you first explained the location, I thought you were going to say you painted the phone numbers on the chair!

• walkin_yesindeed
    15 years ago

What a wonderful thread, and ajsmama, my hat is off to you. I just baked and frosted a cake for my son last night (my baby turns 5 today!) -- it's a lumpy mess, esp compared to your gorgeous creations!

• 2ajsmama
    15 years ago

Thanks Walkin'! I figure since I can't paint or do woodworking (though I can finish wood) or anything else, I can frost cakes. Best of all, if it doesn't turn out right, nobody really cares as long as it *tastes* good LOL! Happy Birthday to DS!

Sweeby, i can't believe that was you first mosaic project! Couldn't start with something small and flat like a table, LOL? I would *never* attempt something like that - but it looks beautiful. Now you have to do another one to match, right??

I can't say what my favorite "project" in this thread is - everything is so creative and I can't see any flaws in execution either. A very talented bunch of people here! And such beautiful homes! Bonniee - I have to get some help from you when I finally put up my 95" long panels in my LR and DR - don't know if I can fold (unlined) thicker drapes over like you did? And the toile valance from JCP is on its way, will have to see how that is supposed to hang, and then how to modify it if I want to hang it on knobs or hooks to get your (bathroom pic) look.

Been putting more poly on kitchen window today, skimmed another coat of compound in the FR corner I'm trying to build out, and poly'd the oak "sidesplashes" for my island (different type, water-based brush-on rather than oil-based wipeon used on window). Soon will be time to sand those and put on another coat, then finish filling the office window frame with spray foam insulation, then I'm done for today! Tomorrow will be the oak shoe I'm putting to hide gap b/t counter and wall - then my kitchen will pretty much be *done* (except for installing these, and finishing and installing the crown that my cousin started on Sunday, oh, and pulling up and resetting the loose tile, and putting in the little bit of baseboard and the toekick, and oh, cutting, finishing, and installing casings around the 5 doors/doorways - oh well, maybe it'll be a while before it's done. But the cabinets, countertops, and window will look good!).

I have to get mulch down and cut off the dead daffodils b4 I take a pic of the stone wall.

• littledog
    15 years ago

Thank you sweeby.
    I've already decided to do another, but this time, I'm going to sit in it first. Painting phone numbers on the chair is a good idea, I might have to steal that one. ;^)

Actually, I've now expanded the original plan from a chair to sit on to a phone booth to sit in. The really great cast iron British ones are so far out of the budget they're off the radar, and I haven't had any luck finding a "retired" American style booth either. There are some nice looking reproductions available, but I figure if it's going to be made of wood I could do it myself. I just need to figure out how to make that distinctive top and get my hands on four doors. (I'm sure there will be more to it than that, but a girl can dream, can't she?)

BTW, I'm ready to see your second mosaic project... ;^)

• 2ajsmama
    15 years ago

Oh, I forgot about these. My mom sewed all us kids boot-shaped stockings made out of jeans back in the 70's. I decided to do the same for DS using some of my old maternity jeans and an old flannel nightie, since he's half-Texan. When DD came along I did the same for her (still had enough flannel to match), trimmed with some lace and ribbon scraps from my mom's sewing basket. I let the kids decorate them how they like - took the "baby" stuff off Ds's (lot of buttons and pins can be switched out easily). I also made a new lining for mine (on right in 1st pic), made DH one too (not much for decoration on his) out of his old jeans - didn't have the same color jeans though. I still have to sew loops on mine and DH's.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

I also got this heart-shaped basket thing at a thrift store, fake rosebuds at Walmart and just wired them in. This was in DD's old bedroom, just found it in closet here and she wants it hung back up. Cost about $3?

{{!gwi}}

Finally, today I was inspired by igloochic's sheet and decided to go through my linen closet to see *what* I could hang in/over my kitchen window that's been driving me crazy. Found an old dresser scarf that had been my grandmother's, ironed it and pinned it to make a rod pocket, threw it up on a tension rod to see how it looks. I think it may become permanent (after I sew a rod pocket, and maybe line it to block more light?).

• lorriekay
    15 years ago

Wow!
    Each thing prettier and neater and cooler than the last
    You ladies are talented.
    I just love the things all of you have done.!!
    thanks for sharing

• angeldog
    15 years ago

I've enjoyed this thread so much and keep checking it to see the new postings, so I finally decided to go around the house taking pics of my updates since the Christmas holidays....first three pics are just a few new florals bought at Hobby Lobby and put in containers I already had: mint julep cups, glass flower vase, pottery...

and my favorite of all is a necklace that belonged to DH great great grandmother, dating to the 1830s...took a gold frame that had a cheap print in it, turned it around to the black side and hung the pendant on the black board.

Thanks Oceanna for starting such a great thread!

• brutuses
    15 years ago

Love those denim boots, how cute is that?

The mounted jewelry is fabulous.

• oceanna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sweeby, I think you should post it over there and I'm certain nobody will laugh. Why would they? It's beautiful and your design is fantastic. What do you think your next mosaic project will be?

Littledog, awww... what a shame the chair turned out to be uncomfy. You did a really cute job on it, so I'm glad your DD rescued it. I hope you find what you're looking for.

Ajsmama, cute stockings! I like your new window treatment.

Ankledog, your new flowers really look good. How clever to frame the pendant! A very special family treasure.

Thanks for adding to this thread!

• nhb22
    15 years ago

angeldog - The frame pendant is such a wonderful idea! I have some old jewelry that i have used as pendants on pillows, but I like your idea so much better. :)

Also love the mint Julep cups.

• kksmommy
    15 years ago

My friend gave me a pair of large, ugly tarnished brass candle sticks after they failed to sell at her garage sale. I loved the lines of them and knew I could do something nice with them. So I brought them home and spray painted them black. Then I forgot about them and they stayed outside for at least 6 months until my DH brought them into the garage. We had just finished a project and had some left over oil rubbed bronze spray paint. A coat of spray paint and they looked brand new! I now have them on my mantle. This is not a good picture, but you can see one of them to the left of the bookshelf.

[img]http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs008.snc1/2863_1158684048069_1256804131_419961_5747757_n.jpg[/img]

• mchllsmth
    13 years ago

===================
    Love those denim boots, so cute it is looking?
    The mounted jewelery looks awesome and is fantabolous.

Here is a link that might be useful: rhinestone iron