Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
autiemom

Green color for foyer

autiemom
11 years ago

Hey everybody, I am looking to brighten up a foyer that gets very little natural light. See the picture below (I am going to try to upload but I am fairly new here and am not sure it will work!) Anyway, the hallway has ash hardwood floors. It opens up to a living room painted BM spice gold, and a kitchen painted Behr Pale Daffodil. Right now we are toying around with Behr Asparagus, and Behr Green Cloth (these colored sampled on the wall). I like them, but am not sold. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I want to bring some color in, and also incorporate some of the nature outside into our foyer. Thanks so much, in advance!

Beth

Here is a link that might be useful: Foyer- Sorry this picture is vcrazy and the room is messy...

Comments (16)

• sis2two
    11 years ago

The photo is not coming up.

• autiemom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Blurg! Okay, I am trying again! Here's the link. Try to look past the mess, I have three little kids!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    11 years ago

Here is your pic, but it's so small and sideways that I don't think people will be able to help too much!

To put it in the post like I have, you just click on the 'HTML code' and it will say 'Copied'. Then you paste that code here in your post. It will just look like code until you click Preview Message, and then you can see the photo.

• autiemom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Take three. {{!gwi}}

• autiemom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is another view. Not sure why it comes up sideways in the post, I can see it straight up and down on my computer screen... Anyway, as you can see the hallway is narrow. The front door is to my back. The only light we get is when the front door is open, as it is in this pic. TIA!
    {{!gwi}}

• albryant
    11 years ago

We also have a dark foyer and painted it Guilford Green (by Benjamin Moore). It's in the historic colors collection and we have it next to a yellow room (BM Weston Flax) and a blue room (BM Palladian Blue) and it works well. I don't have a photo handy, but I'll take one this afternoon for you (it's partly covered up with drywall and cement board for our bathroom remodel that starts today, but I think you can see enough of it to tell what it looks like).

• jessicaml
    11 years ago

I think I'd hesitate to use a green as strong as those sampled in the first (vertical) picture with such brilliant blue carpet nearby. You don't want to get the Easter egg effect. Are the greens sampled in the second (horizontal) pic the same greens? The swatch on the right looks so much lighter...and more appealing in that sense, except I think it has the potential to look fluorescent.

Oh, or as a few have suggested recently, use artwork to tie the colors together. I actually googled "green walls blue carpet", hoping to get an idea of what shades of green might work, and instead came up with this:

I had a similar blue carpet in a childhood bedroom and wouldn't wish for it again, but I do love the idea of suggesting that my home is a flowering forest! :)

• User
    11 years ago

We had Behr Grass Cloth in our hall and foyer (and still have it in our mudroom and pantry). It's fabulous and we get compliments on it all the time. As a matter of fact even the telephone guy was gawking over it. He said he and his wife had tried a hundred greens and finally gave up but "that one" was perfection.

We recently repainted the hall & foyer to a soft blue but the only reason was because it didn't work with the new updates in our kitchen and a fabric I'm using for some valances.

The spots you've painted really aren't going to tell the story, you may need to paint larger areas to see how it does. My only word of caution would be to make sure it works with the spice gold. Our living room has Behr Warm Muffin on the walls and the green had too much yellow to work well with it. However, the yellow color we had in our kitchen (Ralph Lauren Gold Finch) was a match to a sunflower yellow and it worked beautifully with the green.

BTW, if you can, please retake pictures and exclude your children from them. We recently had a terrible experience where a picture of a regular posters child was used inappropriately and it was quite upsetting for all. So please protect your children and repost pictures without them in it.

• autiemom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks. I will do that. I had a hard time taking pictures without her help... I'll repost tonight without her in them. The blue carpet is going away this summer in favor of hardwoods that are the same color of the hardwoods in the hall. So I am not really factoring that in. Also I have Guilford Green in my bedroom and bath and love it! Its a little light for the hallway. It looked weird with the spice gold...

• autiemom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is a picture with no people in it. I will delete the other as soon as I figure it out.

• autiemom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is another view.

• User
    11 years ago

Thank you. If you move or remove the photos from the photo hosting site you use, it will break the link and they will not show anymore.

• autiemom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I deleted the pics from the computer, and from the website, but they are still showing up. Any other ideas? They no longer show up on photobucket...

• peytonroad
    11 years ago

I had Duron green in my home, just gorgeous! Not too overwhelming either. It was called Olive Branch. Check it out!

• User
    11 years ago

That's good, once the powers that be back up and refresh the website, the pictures will go. It's sad that it's come to having to do this, but I'm really glad you went to the trouble.