Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bac717gw

Repurposing my DR breakfront or how I spent a dreary afternoon

bac717
10 years ago

Well, maybe it's not so much repurposing. Perhaps it's more like rearranging. I have been displaying my china (place settings and serving pieces), stemware and a few vases forever and have recently been wanting to change the look of the breakfront in the DR, so this is what I have so far. You will notice some empty spots and a plate not on a stand, among other things undone. I am not finished yet, but wanted to share what I have so far.

Am I going in the right direction with this project? Any advice or suggestions? Thanks.

This picture is taken at an angle to avoid the glare and reflection from the chandelier and window.

Here is close up of one side of the breakfront with the door open.

Comments (8)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Looking good so far.

What I would do is consciously consider categories, then do your best to see that the items in each category are spread around evenly. If there is only one item in the category, consider eliminating it, or adding some more.

A quick look at your pic, I see blue items, picture frames, cameras, plates, clear glass, silver metal and so on. If you do this, you will definitely have a well balanced arrangement.

• bac717
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, Annie, for your great suggestions. I will definitely keep them in mind as I continue arranging the breakfront.

Does anyone have any ideas of what I would google to find pictures of breakfronts used to display items like mine instead of china?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

You might look up how to arrange a bookcase....same principles, you just have fewer books and more tchotchkes.

{{!gwi}}

• bpath
    10 years ago

Some decorator says a display should tell a story about you. For example, it looks like you are Danish (the, are they B&G?, plates) respect history and storytelling (the books, cameras, and pictures), and like springtime or have a cheery personality (the crystal). Even if this story isn't true LOL!

I especially like the book corner, with the vintage stamps and cameras. Think in terms of vignettes, like the book corner. I think all the items can go with each other, but the crystal seems to fight with the book corner somehow, KWIM?

• bac717
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, bpathome, you are very insightful AND very accurate! Thanks for your response. I am indeed trying to showcase family history in the breakfront. To start with, the piece of furniture belonged to my grandmother! You are right. The plates are B&G Mother's Day plates from each year one of our 3 children was born. I am not Danish, but my maternal grandfather was. Some of the books are Gregg shorthand books that belonged to my mother. I think I'm going to add some more old books to the other side and continue looking around the house for more family history to add.

• bpath
    10 years ago

Are we sisters? I've always wanted a sister! My mom was a terrific secretary, used shorthand forever, and I took Gregg note hand in high school; it got me through my college lectures (and now I use it to write secret notes to myself but not in Danish LOL) and my brother does photography.

My aunt will add one or two very nice seasonal ornaments to her display, not tchotchke-looking, but just to make a cohesive whole, refreshed for the season. For example, right now she replaced a bowl with a gorgeous, kind of realistic porcelain rabbit. It can be fun to use things in new places!

• bpath
    10 years ago

Do you have other mementos of your children, like a christening cup, photo, heirloom gift, diploma, to combine with the blue plates? You could make three not-too-crowded vignettes, one for each, and one for the family. One vignette in each door, middle shelf, say. Or alternate them with the book/camera groups. Maybe a silver platter by each as a backdrop or anchor? Also, it might look cool to have a vintage photo by a vintage camera. I don't want to make the whole thing a shrine, though, so have one other collection in there.

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

Consider lining the back with paper or fabric for more color