Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stickymission_gw

90's bedroom suite needs update

stickymission
9 years ago

I thought I would paint my bedroom furniture white but I'm not liking it. I'm scared if I do the rest (another bedside table, armoire, and dresser) that my room will look too stark. I'm planning on painting my walls grey... medium grey with a dark feature wall at the head of the bed. Any suggestions of what to do? Chalk paint? Stain? Gel? Antiquing? I'm stuck! Please post pictures if you have updated your honey oak furniture.

Comments (26)

• kellienoelle
    9 years ago

I think the white looks nice! What don't you like about it? I think if you add some hardware it would complete the transformation. As far as looking stark, a bedroom offers so many opportunities to soften it in the form of linens, pillows, etc. What color of bedding where you looking at? If you are looking for something different, I gel stained an oak vanity at a previous house and loved the way it turned out!

• stickymission
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thank you kellienoelle . what kind of stain did you use? I think you are right about hardware

• DreamingoftheUP
    9 years ago

I'm not a big fan of painting-stained-furniture transformations outside of maybe old farm kitchen tables and the like. The problem you run into is that the furniture form remains the same and is associated with a specific style which included stained wood. The slab fronts with honey oak fit together. If it's a good quality set and the finish is in good condition, I'd embrace the style and quality as it is.

Given that you've painted one night stand, you'll have to do the other. I agree that you should add drawer pulls.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I love the dark grey on this wall!

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

This one is very pretty, too:

{{!gwi}}

• stickymission
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I was thinking of only using one of the bedside tables since they're a bit too wide for my space, so I could sacrifice the one I painted. However, maybe the hardware would be enough to make me like it. But, I'm wondering if it might look better in black or nearly black. Anyone with ideas for antiquing? or using chalk paint?

• User
    9 years ago

I like the painted finish better than the furniture in its original condition, but I love painted finishes. Unless you want a very modern look I would add hardware, too.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I also think the white looks very nice, and I, like Kellie, immediately thought you should add hardware to the cabinetry.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Check this out:

Or I'd paint it navy:

{{!gwi}}

• crl_
    9 years ago

I like the white and agree that it needs hardware. Grey walls and white furniture doesn't seem like a particularly harsh look to me. If you want a soft feeling to the room, I'd go with a light grey for less contrast. Bedding and curtains can also soften the room.

• bpath
    9 years ago

Errant's last picture looks terrific! The dramatic storm-blue-grey with white and black, notice the black nightstands against the dark wall, and the white bedding, though I think some color pillows, deep blues for example, would look good. White and grey can look cold, so go for a warm grey on the walls.

Nosoccermon' pic of the white chest with dark top looks great, too. Kind of like the classic white kitchens with soapstone counters! If you're leaning toward chalk paint, that might look good on top.

• OKMoreh
    9 years ago

I like the nightstand in white.

Drawer hardware will make a big difference. I thought immediately of bin pulls instead of knobs or handles, because such pulls were typically used on furniture with very simple lines. The first navy example that nosoccermom posted (with the V on top of it) would be an example, but I would especially like this one from Lee Valley:

Here is a link that might be useful: Cast shell pull

• always1stepbehind
    9 years ago

My first thought was pull style hardware too.

• stickymission
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thank you so much everyone, I am so surprised by all the thoughtful replies. My bedding is a silvery grey but I may change that if I find something else that I like. My accent colour is deep purple (drapes and throw pillows). I will DEFINITELY add handles, I think it may be the clean lines with no hardware that I don't like. Still waffling on the colour though... anyone done a black antique look?

• seww
    9 years ago

The bad thing about black is that it will show dust, even after you dust.
    Sue

• stickymission
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm quite liking this one... but like Sue mentioned, I don't want the dust showing!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

With deep purple accents and gray walls, how about a silver paint for the suite, or a buttery yellow, and glass hardware, which you can get in clear or a tint - purple, greenâ¦.

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Fri, May 2, 14 at 7:24

• hhireno
    9 years ago

The black furniture in my bedroom doesn't show any more dust than the non-black pieces. I wouldn't let that stop you. If it gets so dusty it shows, then it reminds you it's time to clean the whole room!

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

I generally think that painting wood furniture is a crime, but in this case, I like the white paint and think it improves the piece. Here's why: your furniture is not antique, has a relatively neutral face (for instance it isn't 50's-60's "colonial" or the style of molding used in the 70's-80's) and by changing the finish and adding hardware to fit your tastes you will have made it considerably more versatile stylistically than the oak finish. I prefer the lighter color due to practicality (doesn't show dust as black and navy will) and because it won't look trendy in a few years. I also like a more neutral color because in this case I don't see the furniture as the room's focus in the way it would be if it had a distinct period vibe like midcentury modern or Victorian antiques. Your focus can be on other decorative choices such as your bedding and artwork.

I think if you decide to go dark perhaps using a gel stain is the way to go instead of paint since it will leave more of the original oak texture and the dust will show less.

• OKMoreh
    9 years ago

Although I really like bright brass with white, with the color scheme that you have in the room, you might prefer nickel-finish pulls.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Agree w/OK: either glass or nickel for the hardware.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

I'd use a dark wood gel stain on the pieces so the grain of the wood stays visible. If necessary I'd add satin chrome or nickel pulls.

• stickymission
    Original Author
    9 years ago

you're all so helpful, and beverly27, that's pretty cool!

• lmtitus
    6 years ago

I'm buying a furnished condo with LOTS of this style furniture in the bedrooms. My first thought too was painting it but I love the look of this dark stain with hardware. You've changed my mind!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH