Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bac717gw

I've finally started painting my DR chairs black!

bac717
10 years ago

A few weeks ago, I happened to find a chalk based paint in black at a new shop in town and finally worked up the courage to paint my DR chairs. Since finding the table on CL and the chairs at a consignment shop, I've wanted to paint them black, but with very little furniture painting experience, was afraid to start. I didn't want to see any brush marks. Well, the chalk based paint I found gave me a very smooth application. I then used a clear wax to finish the chair and this is one part of this project where I'm struggling a bit. I have no experience with applying and buffing, so have been relying on any tutorials I can find on line. I think I'd like the finish to be just a little more 'satiny', but for a first attempt, I guess it's not too bad. This picture was taken with the sun shining on the chair.

Here's the chair without the seat at the table with the other chairs. Should I continue painting or do you think the chairs in black will look out of place?

One more of the chair with the seat.

All along, I thought I wanted black chairs, but now I'm second guessing myself. Thoughts? Do you think they look fine, or they should be shinier, or I shouldn't come anywhere near the other chairs with a paint brush???? Thanks so much.

This post was edited by bac717 on Thu, Apr 24, 14 at 22:08

Comments (36)

• redcurls
    10 years ago

I would prefer the color of your china closet or table. I think both of those items have a reddish hue that would be a better choice than black. I normally like black.

• sixtyohno
    10 years ago

I love the black. You did a lovely job. I don't think the chair should be shinier. What a great find.

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

Yes continue painting black, they look amazing !!!

• mommyto4boys
    10 years ago

CONTINUE!!!
    They look great,
    Just a case of second guessing yourself:)

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

I think it looks great! Looks good with the black framed prints on the wall, too.

If they were my chairs, I'd want to re-cover the seats in a more colorful fabric. I'd be looking for something with the greens and reds from the botanical prints and just a touch of black.

• jjam
    10 years ago

I think they look great! I think they could be even blacker and shinier if anything. The color reads a little more like charcoal grey in the photo; maybe not so much IRL.

Definitely keep painting.....you'll love them when they are finished

• busybee3
    10 years ago

i think you did a great job painting the chair! and i think the chair itself looks great black!!! and i love the satin finish...

that said, i don't love the chairs, the satin finish, or the black with the table, but def prefer the black over the oak with the table... if it were mine, i would paint at least some of the table black too.

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

You did an absolutely great job on the chair. Those chairs are really detailed and must have taken a great deal of time to do it right as you did. I don't even see a brush mark.

I like the patina and would not go glossy. There does seem to be a need to have other black coordination in the room for them. Not sure what that would be.

• seww
    10 years ago

Continue!
    You've done a beautiful job paint so far!
    Sue

• tinam61
    10 years ago

The black chair looks great! Continue on. . .

I don't think they need to be shiny - I like the finish. Are you using the big round brush for the wax? "Push" the wax into the surface. Buff with a soft, clean cloth.

tina

• amykath
    10 years ago

I like it! Just the way you are doing them. Perfect!!! Great work!

• awm03
    10 years ago

Oh how pretty! Good choice. Please post a picture of your soon-to-be-even-more-beautiful dining room when you finish :)

• Bunny
    10 years ago

I'm so impressed with the quality of your paint job! What did you use to apply the paint on those long thin round pieces running down the back?

• louisianapurchase
    10 years ago

My thoughts are the exact same as jjam.

• User
    10 years ago

Your paint job is great and I loved the first photo. But shown with the rest of your furniture, I wasn't quite as wild about it. I think it could be more black also and a little more gloss. But wax would bring out a little glow I think.

• patricianat
    10 years ago

I really like them but if you want a gloss and not a matte finish, possibly consider a coat of poly to gloss them up and seal them. I think the black is awesome with your other furnishings.

• bac717
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the compliments and votes to continue. I guess I should get the paint brush out again.

Even tho the color may appear to be more of a charcoal in the pictures, it is black. The color is called Raven.

As much as I'd like to have a touch of black in the seat fabric, the fabric on the seat will stay for now because they were just recovered only about a year ago.

I am using a big round wax brush and found a great tutorial - "How to wax and buff furniture to a beautiful shine". I think by the time I get the 6th chair done, I should have a better idea of how much wax to put on! That is one of the tricky parts of this project.

I agree that perhaps I need more black in the room. A black buffet might look good, but the china cabinet belonged to my grandmother and is very sentimental to me, so it stays. I know that neither of these are technically in the dining room, but does the black runner in the hall help tie in the black?

Or the 90 year old piano in the living room? It's not really black, but it is very dark.

Thanks again for all the replies. I really do appreciate your help.

• awm03
    10 years ago

There's enough black in the room with the picture frames & the chairs. You just want enough to complement all the wood tones, not overwhelm them. A little black in the chair fabric would be nice, but you don't need to paint any other furniture in an attempt to tie it all in.

• bac717
    Original Author
    10 years ago

As I was responding, a few more replies popped up. The color really is black. I am using Vintage Market & Design Furniture Paint in Raven applied with a 1" angled Purdy paintbrush. I think one of the secrets of the smooth finish is the chalk based paint. Even before I used any wax, the finish was very smooth. Then, following the instructions in the tutorial I found, after putting on the wax, wiping off the excess, then letting it dry, I used Grade #0000 steel wool before buffing with a buffing pad and an old t-shirt.

• User
    10 years ago

I agree they look great with the new black paint. Very nice! I love both the table and chairs together. I also think there's enough black because of the picture frames. (May I ask about those prints? Where did you get them?) I know it's staying, but just wanted to mention I like the seat cushion fabric. I think it looks simple yet elegant.

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

I like it and think you should continue. Perhaps a table runner to pull in colors from your prints and more black? You did a REALLY nice job on that chair and I like the glow of the wax as opposed to a shine.

• Errant_gw
    10 years ago

I think they look great! I'm also going to be painting chairs black in my dining room. Windsors, with lots and lots of spindles, so it will be time consuming with a brush. I was actually wondering if I might be better off spraying them, but I think yours came out beautifully :)

• bac717
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The prints are from Ballard Design. I was lucky to find them at my consignment shop, but they are still available on the Ballard website.

Painting the spindles was time consuming, as was buffing them after the wax was applied, but was worth it in the end.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I think the black is absolutely perfect with your table AND your hutch.

Your sheaf back chairs were a great find. Last fall I ordered similar chairs from Ethan Allen and they were pricey even on sale. I have an antique table that is cherry and an antique oak hutch and I purchased chairs in French grey. I almost changed my order to black but decided to stay with my original choice. I picked up the warm grey of my chairs in the area rug that is under my table. I love how the painted chairs look with my antique pieces and I think yours are wonderful in black. You have enough other items that are dark or black to tie it together. I would love to see more pics when you are finished.

• bac717
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Popping back in to thank everyone again for all the encouragement to continue with my project. Maybe I'll find some time tonight to get a first coat of paint on the next chair. Each chair needs 2 coats of paint and then 24 hours before putting on the wax. The wax sits overnight before I can start the buffing process. I generally have only 1 or 2 hours at a time to work on a chair. So.............it could be a little while before I can post pictures of all the chairs at the table, but I promise I will do that when I'm done. Thanks again everyone.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

I think an oriental rug under your table with some black in it would really pull the look together.

Linda

• loribee
    10 years ago

Ties in your frames very nicely. I like it!!

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I love it! I was just reading up on their paint. Do you know how it compares to Annie Sloan chalk paint? Certainly less expensive and a lot of neat colors.

• eandhl
    10 years ago

I like the black satin look, good job.

• theclose
    10 years ago

Love! You did a great job. Wow! I think it looks great and can't wait to see them all done. I know it will be a while but carry on!

• bac717
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't know how the paint I'm using compares to Annie Sloan. Vintage Market & Design paint is the only chalk based paint I've ever tried and it was VERY easy to apply.

• Pieonear
    10 years ago

I love the black chair. Keep painting.

• tinam61
    10 years ago

I've never heard of that brand of paint (only used AS), but I am going to look it up. I've also never used the steel wool before waxing.

I think you have enough black in the room, but IF you want to add more, I think a rug with some black in it would look great or you could change out your draperies. I'm thinking a print (maybe a floral?) with the colors in your prints would look great! Love your changes - it's going to be a beautiful room.

• bac717
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The steel wool is used after applying the wax. Here's a link to the tutorial I followed for waxing and buffing my chair.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Wax and Buff Furniture to a Beautiful Shine

• User
    10 years ago

I like the black chairs, and would paint that piano with the same technique in a red hot minute.

• seww
    9 years ago

I just discovered the Vintage Market and Design chalk paint yesterday at the "home base" store by the same name in Albuquerque. This is the shop where this paint brand and finishes were developed.My head is swimming after browsing the shop with all the design possibilities! Lol!
    Bac717, you've done a lovely job on the chairs!
    Have you watched the YouTube instruction videos on this brand of paint? I've found them very helpful. Also, I'm not sure if you are aware but VMD does not recommend a wax as the final finish for your furniture but one of their clear coats over their brand of wax.
    I started my first piece last night and am excited about many more to come and I am so happy that this shop is local for me!
    I'm not affiliated at all with this company just an excited customer.
    Sue