Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sloedjinn

Yet another ceiling fan question

sloedjinn
10 years ago

I'm redoing my bedroom and I have hated the ceiling fan in there from the moment I first laid my eyes on it. It's one of those hideous 'traditional' ones with the five blades and four lights with bell shaped glass shades. It's in a oil rubbed bronze metal finish, which is my least favorite metal color ever. Time for it to go! But not having a ceiling fan isn't an option. I need the airflow to sleep on all but the coldest of days.

I haven't picked out wall colors, bedding, rug, curtains, I'd say my style tends towards boho with a touch of modern and a touch of vintage. This is what I have picked out:

http://www.pinterest.com/writetorosecamp/new-bedroom-stuff/

What is staying is a big vintage dresser in black that has a vaguely Asian flair to it. That said, logic, good sense and taste tells me that my choice for a new ceiling fan should be one of those modern, white ceiling hugging fans with the integrated light. I've looked at a bunch of them and they all make me go 'meh.'

After looking at a billion ceiling fan websites, I've come to the conclusion that the only ceiling fans I like are the dual head kind. Like such: http://www.delmarfans.com/minka-aire-ceiling-fans/gyro/f602-bn-ch/#

However, there are strong reasons not to go with this style.

1. Possibly too big for the room. It's not super small, but it's not big either. Nor are the ceilings awfully tall.
2. Will not blend in and be inconspicuous.
3. I've already bought the capiz floral pendant lamps and I am in love with them. But they are visually busy, as is the fan. I wonder if Tim Gunn would look at a ceiling with two capiz pendant lamps and a chrome dual head ceiling fan and say, 'that's a lot of look.'

On the other hand, the little voice in my head is telling me to go for it and that if I get a boring white fan I will hate it every bit as much as the oil rubbed bronze one in there now. On the other, other hand, my weakness in decorating has always been too much pattern, too much color, too much detail.

What do you all think?

Comments (2)