Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ailene54

Has anyone used a "woolie tool" for painting?

Ilene Perl
10 years ago

I was looking at different painting styles and came across the Woolie glazing color wash faux finish. This tool is sold on amazon, most seem to like it, saying it's easy to use even without artistic ability, which I have very little of. I think this may look nice in my bathroom, and be a better choice to wallpaper for me.

Comments (8)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I've used plastic bags and rags and sponges and dry brushes for faux finishing, but never a wooly tool. A friend did use a duster once though and it made an interesting pattern on the wall. The only issue would be if the paint gets clogged up in the wooly parts and then it become more flat than textured....

• Ilene Perl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Annie thanks. Are you artistic? What made me like this was the reviews which said the users weren't artists. I do appreciate your statement about it clogging. Maybe I'll buy 2 of them.

• ghostlyvision
    10 years ago

I've glazed a few walls, usually the large paintbrush pounded onto the walls gave the best effect for me but this tool looks like it would make the job much easier and quicker. Use wide painter's tape on surfaces you don't want glaze on, like the ceiling edge and the baseboards, esp. with that tool - it looks like you'll have to wedge it into the corner between celing and wall and along the baseboards to get an even glaze appearance. And keep a couple damp cloths handy, one for accidental marks where you don't want them and one to keep your new tool from getting saturated. Good luck, I really like the glazed look. :)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

No, not an artist, but I have lousy handwriting...which to me means I can be consistently inconsistent which is what you need to do faux finishing. I have done it quite a bit over the years and each time it comes out very different and sometimes quite unexpected. The richest textures come out when you keep the 2 colors closer rather than contrasting. But you will need to practice and be open to what happens. In my old bedroom, I ended up thinking tornadoes to come up with the finish I got...but this was in the 90s...don't think I'd go for that look today.

• johnnycabot
    10 years ago

Yes, have used Woolie and loved it. Have paper plate handy to pounce off extra paint, use when almost dry. i used 3 colors of latex because its what i had. Let it dry before adding next color. Use pieces of fluff or Woolie with cardboard to protect ceiling etc; when you do edges. Wait for paint to dry before you tackle edges even when using same color to save yourself a lot of grief. I have had many comments on my walls in LR as people think its wallpaper. Perfect for bathrm. Keep it light, touch Woolie to wall lightly don't mush it. Good luck!

{{!gwi}}

• madeyna
    10 years ago

I used something like it for my bathroom. Practice first, the more you work it the less definition you get to the color and texture.Someone used to sell one of these on a roller that was pretty simple to use. The one shown might be difficult to not make squares on the wall pattern with because if the way it is cut.

• Ilene Perl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all so much!! I'm going to be doing my bathroom, and promise to post before and after pictures.

AnnieDeighnaugh' Your work is an inspiration, will make sure to pick colors close to each other. Thanks for sharing your beautiful painted room. I think the walls in that bathroom were done with plastic bags, it's the only room which is same as when old owner was here....in fact when we moved in I painted the ceiling, but left the walls same.

ghostlyvision thanks for the suggestions, will do as you suggested. I think they sell a smaller brush for corners. Considering I haven't painted a room in many years, this whole project will be interesting.

johnnycabot' I'm so glad you used it, the suggestion about the plate, and all others I know will make it easier for me. I plan on using 2 colors, painting the room one color, and then putting the glaze on top, is that how you did it?

madeyna I will practice first. I originally wanted someone to do a venetian glaze in this bathroom, but the price was to high....DH wants to move in next few years, I'm hoping this will give me a similar look that I will enjoy.