Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jan_in_wisconsin

Possible to Hang Metal Art on Stone Backsplash Without Nails?

jan_in_wisconsin
16 years ago

Les helped me find a great piece of metal art for our stone backsplash area above our range. I would rather not drill holes in the framed backsplash area (it's real stone), but I'm stumped as to other options for hanging the piece. It has a very thin edge all the way around. So far, we've tried various adhesive squares behind the upper corners with no success. It seems to be too heavy for the adhesive tabs we've tried. The metal probably weighs 2 pounds or so. Is it possible to hang it without nails in an invisible way?

By the way, thanks Les, as the piece is just perfect, and I can't wait to hang it.

I'm posting pictures of the wall art and backsplash area below.

Comments (31)

• pammyfay
    16 years ago

Have you tried the 3M Command hooks? They have a variety that are the sawtooth-topped picture hooks. Those have an adhesive back for the wall, too. They tend to hold a reasonable amount of weight (I used them to hang either 12" square or 14" square glass-fronted metal frames on the wall, and they didn't fall down.) Maybe a few of them lined up horizontally could work, holding onto the art's top edge? Depends how rough the stone backsplash is, tho--whether the adhesive has enough solid flat stone to stick to.

I imagine that the glue that's sometimes used to put decorative tiles on a bathroom wall would work too, but you might not ever be able to remove it.

• magothyrivergirl
    16 years ago

If you have to drill a hole, drill in the grout line. We have had alot of tile work done recently & the tiler has preferred to put all the holes in the grout lines. He said there is less risk of cracking the stone or tile.
    I think that iron work would very possibly break your cook top if it fell.
    Wish I had a suggestion for you.

• les917
    16 years ago

Glad the piece worked - I bet it will look wonderful and bring in some of the darker tones there.

I checked the Command website to be sure, and the adhesive is not designed to stick to brick or other rough surfaces (it will stick to painted brick, of course).

I understand about your hesitation, but I would think that you will likely always have something hanging back there. One heavy screw, put into a mortar joint, and painted the color of the brick or mortar, would be a real benefit. I don't know how heavy the piece is, but I would think that screw would allow you to hang this piece from the top 'petal' of the design, right where the little crossbar is.

Later on, should you decide to hang a piece of art or a plate, that same screw would work to hold the hanging wire.

• User
    16 years ago

Beautiful kitchen. I would be hesitant to drill into the backsplash, too.

How about tightly mounting a thin tension rod up in the corner where your range hood meets the tile. Hang the ironwork from fishing line at the top corners.

If you're creative, you could faux paint the rod to match the tan/ivory color of the backsplash tiles to further camophlage (sp) it.

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Great ideas. I'm going to check them all out. I checked out most of the adhesive hooks available, and even if they work, they are white, and they would definitely show. The stone brick in that area is actually very smooth, but again, the adhesives would likely show or not be able to support the weight of the piece. We tried a few types yesterday, and they weren't strong enough.

Les, I think your idea about the hook is an excellent option. We were thinking we'd have to hang it by the corners, and with centering it in the space, the holes would have to go into the stone (vs. mortar). However, maybe it can be adjusted slightly if that's the case, and I'm not sure if that center petal ends up in a joint or on the stone itself. I'll check it out. You're right that we'll probably always have something hanging there. I don't plan on changing it any time soon.

dian57 - I like your idea, and I'm going to check it out, along with all other options.

Thanks,

Jan

• gk5040
    16 years ago

I know a neighbor used the command hooks on her tile (over the stove) and it worked fine, just make sure you have the right weight hooks for the project.

• daisyadair
    16 years ago

I believe my husband used his dremel to drill the tiniest hole in my backsplash to hang a platter over the stove. You could get by with just one hole to hang it I believe. If you painted the nail black, it would not even show. I know it is SO hard to put a hole in something that is new and perfect!

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey, everyone - problem solved!

We were able to use two tiny nails and a drill bit (big victory for us, as we're not too handy), and it worked out that the places to place the nails were within the grout lines. The nails are so tiny and inset that they are nearly indetectible, even when one is looking for them.

It looks great. Thanks so much!

Jan

• winker58
    16 years ago

Jan: I really like your paint color. Who makes it and what is the color name? People will probably think I'm crazy, but I did something similar and used hot glue gun to adhere my piece. I waited a bit until the glue was not quite as hot as it is coming out of the gun and adhered it to the stone. I just peeled it away when I decided I did not want the piece there any longer. I have used hot glue many times on many different surfaces and have not had a problem. Maybe I have just been lucky though.

• les917
    16 years ago

Glad you got it worked out. If you need to, you can touch up the nails with a black Sharpie marker.

Do we get to see a pix?

• mahatmacat1
    16 years ago

That paint color is wonderful, Jan. I'd like to know what it is too.

• tinker_2006
    16 years ago

It worked out ? GREAT - let's see a pic, love your kitchen!

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sure, I can post a picture. I will get to that a little bit later today. Winker, I'm loving your hot glue ideas. Around here, it's Duck/Duct tape that is the joke of the town for fixing everything.

After we hung the piece, my hubby stated, "I have to admit, the backsplash looks a lot better with the art there, and I'm not a fancy guy." The ultimate compliment from him.

Jan

• deborahnj
    16 years ago

I'm anxious to see the finished pics myself as I have a similar backsplash and have been thinking about doing the same. Also I saw something similar in the kitchen on the series Weeds and thought it looked great. Your kitchen is fabu!

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh, I forgot to mention the color you asked for. It's SW Flower Pot. It's such a nice red.

Les was so right that the area by the range needed some black too. I know I need to do something with the switch plate/outlet covers, but that'll be another project - lol.

Anyway, here's the finished product. Ta Dah!!!

• parma42
    16 years ago

It's beautiful Jan! I love you whole kitchen. Your mixture of woods is gorgeous.

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    16 years ago

P.S. Crate and Barrel has this great wrought iron herb caddy too, which is a similar style. Do you think I can incorporate it somewhere? I love flowers and herbs. It is 20.5" x 6.75".

• deborahnj
    16 years ago

Gorgeous dahlink, just gorgeous!

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks again everyone. I love this board.

I was also going to mention that this was my first purchase from Crate and Barrel, and I'm really happy with their service, how quickly the item shipped, and the quality of the piece. It is heavy, and even though it doesn't show on the picture, it has areas where it is rubbed with red, which is perfect for my kitchen. I'd purchase from them again in a heartbeat.

Jan

• mahatmacat1
    16 years ago

I love how the iron scrolls relate to each other! Les rocks :) And thanks for the paint name. Into the files it goes. A great color.

• kitchenkelly
    16 years ago

That looks wonderful, Jan!

Can you put the herbs on the window sill?

• Kathleen McGuire
    16 years ago

Perfecto!!

• les917
    16 years ago

How about using the herbs caddy on the dining table? If you create a runner for the table in your coordinating check, perhaps bind it with some of the print for interest, that would be nice sitting on there. Or, instead of a runner, you could just create a placemat on which the caddy would sit.

• julie92
    16 years ago

Hi Jan! I absolutely love your glazed cabinets! Could you tell me what color paint and glazed you used? Gorgeous kitchen. I am working on something similar.

• syllabus
    16 years ago

The caddy is a nice additional touch. Do the pots have drainage holes in the bottom that you have to be careful of? You wouldn't want to set it on a surface that could be damaged by water drips.

If the pots are solid, you could insert herbs in plastic pots that could be removed for watering and then put back into the originals. Make sure your herbs get plenty of sun!

Another idea would be to use the caddy to hold knives, forks and spoons. No worries about drips or enough sun! :)

• lynninnewmexico
    16 years ago

Jan, that looks great on your backsplash. I'm glad you got it up there ok.

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks all. The caddy is too wide for the window sill, however, I do like the table idea along with a runner. I have no idea whether or not the pots have drainage holes.

As for our cabinets, we purchased them from a custom cabinetry place, and the paint is their stock antique white, glazed with a warm, deep brown. I don't know the actual colors. I was worried I might not like them because they're not the really bright white, but I shouldn't have concerned myself, as I just love them now. They're so warm and inviting to look at.

Jan

• Dyana Klein
    8 years ago

Jan, I've read and read, and I see you mentioned hanging the black metal art, but after all the discussion, I don't see which suggested route you took to do it? Nails? Glue gun? Commend hooks? Etc

Thanks!

• cawaps
    8 years ago

See her response from April 26, 2008 at 6:22 pm.

• HU-552837892
    3 years ago

I have tried the command hooks to hang an under 1 #, 8 inch diameter pewter wreath. Unfortunately, if above the range the heat seemed to loosen the adhesive and the wreath fell 3 times over 1 yr. I have almost given up. I have thought about drilling a very small nail hole, but still reluctant to drill