Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
imsmilng

Let there be light :)

imsmilng
10 years ago

Would this light kit on this fan look too modern in a somewhat traditional setting?

Comments (18)

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

IMO, yes, and for other reasons as well. Doesn't match the fan at all, IMO.

Do you have to have a light on the fan? I think fans looks 100% better w/o lights. Or 100% worse with them. Not that my opinion mattersâ¦Not sure what the consensus is on that.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Too modern for me...

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I "read" drum shades as simple, classic and not necessarily modern,so it works for me.

If you post your room, we may have more suggestions

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I like it, but maybe a little too small? I'd say that the drum shade needs to be larger.

[Lamp Shades[(https://www.houzz.com/products/lamp-shades-prbr0-br~t_608) by Richmond Lighting Shades of Light

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Also a different color. I don't like the stark contrast. The first one nosoccermom put up is very nice, I think.

• imsmilng
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I like the larger sized drum as well. The attached picture may be too dark but let me know what you think about using a light like the ones above.

• DreamingoftheUP
    10 years ago

I will preface this, and we all know, these are matters of opinion and taste and you should do what YOU like.

Given that..... those drum shades on fans are absolutely horrible, in an anachronistic sense. Drum shades were very popular in the 50's and 60's and ceiling fans were not popular at that time. They came back into style about the late 70's, early 80's with a variety of different light styles, but not drum shades. I agree with Tibbrix - fans look better without lights.

Also, your room is decorated in a beautiful, comfortable-looking, traditional style. The deep, rich colors are very classy. That drum shade would look totally out of place in it. Have you thought about getting a fan without a light and adding some additional table lamps or floor lamps?

This post was edited by DreamingoftheUP on Fri, Apr 4, 14 at 19:49

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Also, how high is the ceiling? Ceiling fans can be very difficult in they're on low ceilings, and risky for tall people.

Your ceiling looks low, which means that, if you go with a ceiling fan, you need one that is flush to the ceiling, no down rod, and NO added light making it even longer.

If you want a light, I'd look at something like this:

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Or something like this, although I have no idea what the airflow is like with that surrounding design:

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Or, a bladeless fan:

Here is a link that might be useful: bladeless fan

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Fri, Apr 4, 14 at 20:13

• DreamingoftheUP
    10 years ago

Ughh - not a fan with a finger guard -- and a fan that IS a drum shade!! ;-)

This post was edited by DreamingoftheUP on Fri, Apr 4, 14 at 20:11

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

I think that second one is kind of cool!

• imsmilng
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the replies. We have 10 or 12 ft ceilings. The photo was taken in the rental. I wish I didn't need need a light kit on the fan as I just don't like them. I will keep looking.

• chloenkitty
    10 years ago

I second mtndredux

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Oh, I thought that pic was the room in question.

• imsmilng
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The pic shows my furnishings. We are in a rental while house is being finished.

• peegee
    10 years ago

I would avoid making a decision on lighting needs until you are actually in the space and can get a sense, or reading, from the room itself. If you really enjoy a ceiling fan, select the fan for its form and function, and focus on improving lighting, if needed, from other sources including additional and more substantially sized lamps. With such nice high ceilings, the overhead lighting will likely be dim, unattractive and ineffective anyway.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

I agree with peewee. I'd wait on this detail until you're in the house, painting is done, etc. Size of the fan is very important, both length of blades and the height.