Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
threegraces

Cross-posting from the paint forum

threegraces
11 years ago

I'm usually in the kitchen forum but I could use some help over here. My parents moved into this mid-century colonial and want to dress up the exterior as it's rather square and blah. They have considered painting the door, or the trim around the door, or adding shutters. The door is currently painted charcoal. They don't want to change the paint color of the house or the color of the brick - just the area around the door, the door itself or adding shutters.

Any suggestions or even better, anyone that can mock up some ideas? Seeing a design would really help. There is a lot of landscaping that isn't present in this Minnesota July (haha) picture.

Thanks so much! They will really appreciate it!

Comments (8)

• nanny2a
    11 years ago

I do feel that shutters would add a lot to the exterior, as well as coordinating color on the wood trim surrounding the door to match the shutters. Then paint the door in a distinctive color.

• cat_ky
    11 years ago

Could the house have had a full length covered porch that has been removed at some point in time? It looks like it could have, and to me looks like it needs to be put back. Since, I am originally from Minnesota, I think it could be pretty useful to have in the winter too..

• madeyna
    11 years ago

Bigger light fixtures on the sides of the doors in black . I cann,t tell if thats a screen door or trim around the door but that in black as well. Black shutters . Maybe a dark grey door although the color it is is fine.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I would love to see the house get some kind of overhang or porch. There's something so much more welcoming when the front door offers shelter to visitors.

{{!gwi}}

• chibimimi
    11 years ago

If your parents cannot do the entrance porch, then painting the door surround to match the trim and painting the door a strong color -- dark red, dark blue, etc. -- would add emphasis to the entry. Right now the surround has a tendency to disappear against the brick.

• threegraces
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much for the ideas. i will pass them on. Is there any skilled photoshopper who could mock up some of these ideas? I know that would really help my mom decide. These are some great ideas. i think a small portico would be something they would consider like Annie posted.

• threegraces
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Also - which windows should get shutters? we have debated (my mom and i discuss home improvement ideas frequently) - just the two upstairs on either side, all of them, just the lower windows...

• randita
    11 years ago

I agree with the addition of shutters - charcoal gray, black, maybe deep maroon. I'd shutter all the windows in the front and maybe on each side - not the back.

I think I'd paint the wood surrounding the door white to match the trim around the windows, then paint the door cranberry, forest green, or the color of the shutters.

I agree that if it's doable, a covered entry would add a lot.

Sorry I can't help you with photoshop, but you might be able to play around with some ideas on the sherwin-williams.com website (Color Visualizer). Can you print out a photo of the house, then cut "shutters-door", etc. from colored paper and test things that way?