Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nesting12

sag harbor gray paint (benjamin moore)

nesting12
15 years ago

Does anyone have sag harbor gray they can show me? I love the swatch of it I painted but wonder if it would be "too much" in my kitchen. It looks really similar to Flowering Herbs to me, or at least the pics of that here.

I would love to know if anyone has used it/considered it! I like it because it seems really warm, but I worry on the whole wall it will look very olive. It's amazing how different it is from the strip (isn't that always the case?).

thanks!

Comments (19)

• nesting12
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That picture looks much more tan and a lot less green than it looks in my light! Funny how that works.

• alisande
    15 years ago

I'm not familiar with the color, but I grew up in Sag Harbor, LI. So I say choose the paint on the basis of the name alone. :-)

• positano
    15 years ago

I put a swatch of it up on my wall and it definitely was a gray/brown. Looked a little blah in my kitchen, but I think it looks nice in the picture. I defnitely didn't see any olive in my swatch or much green for that matter.

• mldao
    15 years ago

nesting12,

I get a ton of natural light in my kitchen, FR and IRL this color looks more green than tan. If you were to ask any of my neighbors to describe the wall color of my kitchen they'd all say "a greenish color". I was disappointed how green it looks IRL on my walls compared to the sample board I painted. Don't get me wrong I think it's a beautiful color and it is a very warm grayish green. It compliments my FR color Jamesboro Gold perfectly. BTW at night it's so much more greenish than tan as I sit here looking at it. It's really difficult to pick a paint color from a chip or seeing it in someone else's home because what looks great in their house could end up looking sickly in yours. HTH

• nesting12
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks-- It looks green-ish to me (almost like an olive-y pair of khaki pants) too and I think I really like it but I'm worried it will be too much on the whole wall. I'm going to sample it at 75% strength and see. On my wall it looks nothing like the photo above-- maybe they used 50% strength or something or the flash is taking out the green. It's a much stronger color on my wall. How dark does it look in your house, mldao? I love the warmth of it.

• redbazel
    15 years ago

Splotching is nice but it doesn't ever tell the whole story. My Baby Turtle looked Gray and muddy when I did a 3'wide 6' tall splotch on the wall coming off my entry. Family did a unanimous nose snub and went back to their computers and t.v. It wasn't until I stood there and thought about it, poured out the rest of the test qt. into the paint tray, and rolled it also down the hall, plus the main living room wall, that I realized that it was going to be the Right One.

And not only do these shades look different on different monitors...this laptop I'm using this a.m. washes everything out and no color looks that appealing, whereas my desktop has true colors that pretty accurately reflect what the photo looks like as it was posted...but Mldao's point is right on track: My house has "X" amount of light and Color Z looks more green. Mldao's house has completely different light and Color Z doesn't even hint of green.
    If you have a whole quart, paint it out on your wall and let it dry.

Red

• mldao
    15 years ago

I'll take a couple pictures of it tonight and hopefully it'll capture the green undertones. In my picture above it looks very tan but it really reads more khaki IRL. It was mixed at 100% using BM paint. Does your kitchen get a lot of natural light? What color are your cabinets and countertops? I needed a warm color to soften my white cabinets and soapstone countertops without looking too washed out. It's almost ridiculous the amount of natural sunlight my kitchen receives during the day.

• nesting12
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, I would really appreciate seeing the photo!

I will have white cabinets, with a few brownish-greyish ones. I haven't decided on counters, but probably something black or greyish. I will have oak floors, and the room is pretty small and could use something warm. One of the adjoining rooms has a cherry-colored (actually very aged pine) ceiling. When I put up the swatch of Sag Harbor it seems to pick up a lot of the tones in the wood, which I liked. It is a bit of an odd, color, though, so I wanted to see it in a room!

Thanks!

• little_red8
    14 years ago

Hi, I painted my entire townhome (except the bedrooms) in Sag Harbor Gray, and I loved it. It has lots of movement, changing from greenish gray (florescent light), to brown gray (recessed halogen lights), to neutral gray(sunlight). It looks realloy good with darker woodtones and reds. I can email you pics or I have an album on facebook with lots of pics of the townhome.

• pattyk_64
    14 years ago

I have it on the trim on the outside of my house

It looks a bit greener in real life, but you get the idea.

• nesting12
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I ended up picking sag harbor for my kitchen, and I am loving it. Thanks for the help! It is exactly as everyone describes-- kind of olive, kind of brown, a little gray, sometimes a little sage, very warm and interesting. When the kitchen gets done I'll post pics-- hooray for this forum!

• megsy
    14 years ago

I love that color. We just painted our bedroom in it and I love it.

• redbazel
    14 years ago

I am in the mood to see this color in your kitchen, Nesting!

Red

• lindseylulu
    14 years ago

I'd love to see more of this color in natural light. I'm currently considering it for the exterior of my home. More pics in light filled kitchens and outdoors?? Pretty please :)

• nesting12
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My kitchen is very much in progress, so I hesitate to post, but on the other hand it's so helpful when people do! So let me see if I can get a photo that shows the color properly and I will post it :)

• Circus Peanut
    14 years ago

I did my mudroom in BM Weimeraner, which is an Aura Affinity color that's very close to Sag Harbor on the regular color strips. I love that it changes from green to tan to purple back to gray, completely depending on the light. (My ceiling is light Palladian Blue, so it does pull it towards the bluish tone here.)

• rhodora
    14 years ago

Little_red8, do you mind posting some pictures or a link? Sag Harbour Gray is my first pick for my two storey foyer and kitchen. I'm nervous it may look too "blah" for so much wall space? Would love to see more pics!

• Loretta Kingsmore
    2 years ago

Sag Harbor gray is my all-time favoite color. I painted my guest room in it, and liked it so much that I also used it for my DR and LR. It looks great. Some people say it is beige, others say it is green or gray. I think it depends on the amount of light in the room. I do think red accessories make it "pop" in a room.