Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geokid_gw

In time for Easter - pastel 1950s home for sale

geokid
10 years ago

This home was featured on the HGTV Canada website. A 96-year-old woman in Toronto is selling her home of 72 years, decorated in the 1950s and 1960s and not changed since. It is impeccable. Overall not to my taste, but I'm struck by the furniture and how I am seeing modern versions in the magazines right now.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mid-century decorated

Comments (13)

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I saw this on FB this afternoon and she had lovely taste!

• User
    10 years ago

Unreal... she was light years ahead of her time in terms of accent colors. And her kitchen is about a billion times cleaner than mine!

• feisty68
    10 years ago

She really had fun with it :)

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I love how impeccably well kept everything is. I could only hope that if I am blessed with another 36 years my home would be as meticulous as hers.

• ellendi
    10 years ago

I really enjoyed seein this home. Thanks for sharing.

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

She would have been a great garden web member! It may have been my taste when I was in my 20's, but it's too much femininety for me, and I consider myself a 'girlie' sort of woman. Very cute though, and the colors are so today.

But to not change a thing in all those years, amazing! I've only been in my house for 6 years, and already I'm wondering if it's time to change things up, even though I love it the way it is.

• peegee
    10 years ago

Wow. Thanks so much for this. Has unexpectedly affected me on several levels. Actually was profoundly sad looking through this woman's home - much much more so than I ever recall feeling looking at someone's home before...cycled through quite a few times, I was so drawn to it despite not personally caring for the colors - her rooms have such a presence. I imagine all the living and socializing here, and the fleetingness of time...how hard it must be to leave especially after 72 years. Despite differences how similar the look is to my mother's and other homes long gone I recall of the era. Also of how simple, strong and effective the floor plan seems -LR and DR windows/sight lines lined up, etc. and how the decorating adds to, supports and mirrors the layout through strength, balance, unity, symmetry and simplicity...and makes such a powerful and personal statement.........

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

Thank you for posting! Love the basement bar area!! Great laundry space, too.

I don't even mind the galley kitchen, and hope the next owner doesn't try to make it an open floor plan.

It's been probably 20 years since I've been up to Bloor West in Toronto, but that was always a nice area.

• robo (z6a)
    10 years ago

I saw this on fb as well, how pristine! There is something to be said for immaculate housekeeping.

Then someone chimed in on the fb thread and said her boyfriend bought a time capsule house near me and wants to get rid of everything, so now I have her taking pictures just in case there's some gold. Fingers crossed.

• sixtyohno
    10 years ago

Wouldn't it be nice if someone bought it and kept it exactly as it is. It could happen since it appears to be in perfect condition.

• teeda
    10 years ago

I think the pink rotary dial phone on the kitchen counter is my favorite thing. And as someone mentioned on another thread, maybe it's time for kitchen cafe curtains to come back . . .there's something so homey and comforting about them!

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

The LR reminds me of my aunt's and grandmother's houses in Philly...same style couch and coffe table. Love the pink phone in the kitchen! My mom had a similar blue flower couch like the one in the basement. It just harkens back to a time when you held onto things and only bought what you needed when you needed it.

No doubt whoever purchases it is going to gut and redo top to bottom....sigh. They should film an episode of Mad Men there!

• deegw
    10 years ago

What a treat. Do you think the tile floors are original? The tile seems to be the only thing that doesn't quite work.