Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What color to paint my front door?

Posted by strayer (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 9, 14 at 21:11

Hello, my front door needs to be painted. Here is a picture of the door. What color do you suggest?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What color to paint my front door?

Here is a closer up picture of the brick

o

Glossy black. Or refinish the wood.

Stunning front door, btw.

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Wed, Apr 9, 14 at 21:27

o

Love the doors. I prefer them stained to painted....is the wood good? If so, do them with sikkens and it will make them very weather proof.

o

And get the hardware to a nice brass shine.

o

If you paint it, it will peel.

I would stay with a transparent stain like you current have & simply renew it. If you would like a colored door, then use an solid, opaque stain. That has a better chance of adhering to your door surface.

I like your walnut stained door, but if you must change, then perhaps a bit more red in the stain to pull out the color of your bricks.

o

Strayer, we have almost the same identical bricks, doors, quoins and recessed front. My house faces west and I get no pretty play of sunlight in the mornings and when it reaches there in the afternoon, it is full-blown hot, and I have struggled with door color every time we paint. I am not particularly fond of the stain and want to change it, but each time, we just restain. Our treatment above the door is more palladian like and the general contractor painted it, so it gives my house a disjointed look.

Yours looks beautiful with the play of light at the front. I think I would keep it stained. Incidentally, I have two similar planters to yours but mine are larger cobalt blue with red geraniums and white petunias, gives the front a little more umph since my door is hard to see from the street and the sunlight does not favor it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here