Return to the Home Decorating Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rug shape with round dining room table

Posted by cindy73 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 29, 09 at 21:03

I purchased a 55" round glass dining table with four chairs. Which would look better a rectangle or round rug?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rug shape with round dining room table

Have you considered square?

o

I'd say either square or round.

o

I vote for rectangular. Round on round seems rather boring and I'm not sure that I've ever seen a square rug. With a rectangular rug you're able to see much more of the pattern of the rug so in my opinion it would be more decorative.

o

I too have a round table, 60" with no rug currently under it because I couldn't figure out what shape to put under it! I have read and seen so many examples and differing opinions on this it makes my head spin! It boils down to personal preference and what looks good to you. Some say round will create a bullseye effect. I've also seen octagonal which combines the "round" shape with angular lines. And of course the rectangle. In the end, it really is up to what pleases your eye. I don't think there is a right way!

o

The shape of an area rug is certainly a matter of preference or personal decorating style. One of the most important factors in selecting a rug for a dining room or any 'eating' area is the size. Where possible, try to make sure the chair legs do not get caught on the rug when sliding in and out. Another important factor, who will be dining with you? Do you have 'Messy Marvin', a house full of kids, or… While natural fibers, like wool, are durable and elegant they are not always the easiest to clean. They are doing some amazing things with synthetic rugs these days. They look great, are very affordable, most are stain resistant and they can be sprayed off with a garden hose! Rug sites, like Rugs Direct, that let you narrow your search by shape, size, fiber, etc. might be helpful with your decorating dilemma.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rugs Direct

o

Have you ever tried to use rectangular shape rugs? I personally think that it is more suited to your round glass table.

Here is a link that might be useful: Area Rugs

o

Hey, Felix - is that ...

???????

o

Square rugs are available because I used to have one under my square glass table. You just have fewer choices. I have since replaced it with a round Karastan. I thought both shapes looked good with the table. I don't think rectangular would look as good, but I also think a lot depends on the shape of your room, the size and location of the table, etc.

o

Felix

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here