Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kateydid29

How to tone down orangey floors

kateydid29
10 years ago

We just moved to a new house a couple months ago. The house has hardwood floors throughout and they're in really good shape. However, they are a little too orange in tone for my taste. Refinishing the floors is not an option due to the expense,

What paint colors (if any) will neutralize or tone down the orange floors and make them look more brown or yellowish than orange?

Thanks!

Kate

Comments (15)

• patricianat
    10 years ago

Dry sage. It was used during the oak flooring and cabinet phase. It does the job. Ask Mr. Benjamin Moore and if he is not in your area, the old men, Sherwin-Williams have a color known as sawdust. Try that.

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

I just bought a house with orangey red cabinets, not what I would pick but they are solid and there are a lot of them. IâÂÂm basically doing what I did in a house I had back in 91' that had orangey Mexican clay tile floors. In that house I painted the walls in those areas eggplant and hung vibrant art. In this house I painted the walls in SW Agreeable gray (the only color that jived well with the off white floor & vibrant cabinets and stone fireplace and granite counters) and will again hang vibrant art as a balance or distraction depending on how you look at it. All trim and ceilings are in an off white. I do not like white ceilings or trim with orangey floors or cabinets.

• kateydid29
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks patricia43!

Love the sawdust-with tons of windows in my house, I bet this would be really sophisticated and not too dark (I'm always afraid to paint with dark colors).

My initial thinking on greens was that they would make the orange floors more orange, not less orange. But the dry sage (at least on my monitor) looks like it has a nice yellow undertone so it doesn't seem too green to me.

• kateydid29
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jterrilyn-not sure I could sell DH on eggplant color on the walls, although I think it sounds very happy! Will look into agreeable gray. Can't wait to go to the paint store this weekend!

• SparklingWater
    10 years ago

Greens are on the opposite color spectrum of oranges (both warm colors) which is why often you see them together. Dry Sage is lovely. Good luck and have fun in your new home.

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

Oh I'm not trying to sell you on the eggplant lol. It's pretty but not for everyone. Although I'm getting a bit sick of the gray phenomenon in some cases it does the trick.

Do you have an open concept where the kitchen is seen with a certain countertop color? I ask because that has to be considered as well.

• chispa
    10 years ago

BM Grant Beige if you want something not too dark and still quite neutral.

• aloha2009
    10 years ago

So I'm not the only one that has problems with their unstained floors turning orangey.

I'm currently having trouble figuring out my flooring throughout the house. When I've talked with hardwood installer, they push for the natural look partly because of the scratch factor. Hmmm, scratches or orangey. As much as I don't like scratches, orangey is yet worse.

The idea of tile though may look even better.

• peegee
    10 years ago

I recognize your pain as I had to learn to embrace the orange, but now can honestly say I love my floors!! They really exude warmth that I feel on the most dismal of days - and when the sun is out they radiate a cheery glow. Now I actually like them better than what I once thought I preferred, but I had to first stop fighting them with my old color choices and replaced w/sages and other greens and pumpkin & yellowy squash accents....

• juddgirl2
    10 years ago

Sherwin Williams Believable Buff seems to tone down my orangey oak kitchen cabinets. It's a pretty yellowish beige.

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

I just realized I wrote "Agreeable Gray" above when in fact I used "Amazing Gray" . I went through so many samples while choosing and am so exhausted from this remodel that I had a brain fog moment.

• Janice742
    10 years ago

We used Restoration Hardware's Silver Sage with great success to tone down our orangey floors. If you want bright, a teal works nicely as well.

You can have it color matched by your favorite paint store.

Here is a link that might be useful: silver sage

• kateydid29
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions! I think we may be going with Benjamin moores free spirit. It is a brown with undertones of grey. It looks good with my orange floors and the lighting in our house. I like the sage colors and will probably put that in a couple rooms as well.

• PRO
    RobbieTullosDesigns
    3 years ago

I agree with one of the answers in here that you do not want to go with cool colors on your wall the orange floors will be even more vibrant and the cool color on your wall will be even more cooler. however you do want to stay in the analogous spectrum of the color wheel meaning choose a warmer tone either it be white grays Blues what have you go with warmer colors that you like and it will minimize the dramatic orange effect I know it sounds counterproductive but complimentary colors are exacerbated by the contrast of their complementary color

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living