Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wmjc1965

brown sofa, what color walls

wmjc1965
13 years ago

I just ordered a brown slipcovered sofa and loveseat from Arhaus. What color walls do you think would look good, the room has a stone fireplace and cream shag carpet. Any inspiration photos would be great too.

Comments (17)

• wmjc1965
    Original Author
    13 years ago

trying to figure out how to add some pictures
    http://i39.tinypic.com/29z8vmt.jpg

looking into kitchen from family room
    http://i40.tinypic.com/zk2w.jpg

We moved into this home six months ago and I have been overwhelmed with where to start, I am starting with the downstairs. I would love any ideas for paint and accessories, I am also looking for a chair with a POP of color.

• Suzy
    13 years ago

i'm a fan of grey or greige tones w/dark brown & ivory. throw in some rust accents.

• leafy02
    13 years ago

Couldn't view your photos, but there are lots of colors that look well with brown--golds, greens, reds, blues, you name it.

There are so many beautiful and colorful chairs available these days, you might want to pick the chair first and then coordinate your wall color to go with that.

• loribee
    13 years ago

Do you have any pillows that you will be using? I'd use that for inspiration.

• wmjc1965
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am trying to find a pillow for inspiration... I was looking at the simone pillow at pottery barn but it is on backorder until june. My first floor is very open, I am doing the study ryegrass, dining room audubon russet. I am looking for a neutral warm cheery paint color for the family room/kitchen. I do not know how to post pics directly into the post or I would add more. I just want the rooms to be bright and cheery even though I am getting a brown sofa. I am looking for an accent chair in an apple green.

• Kathleen McGuire
    13 years ago

I can see a sandy color working well with the other colors you have. Here is the simone pillow. Something like the background of the pillow would look nice.
    {{!gwi}}

• mom2sethc
    13 years ago

Hello,

Here is my family room with brown sofa, cream carpet and stone fireplace.

Elaine

• terezosa / terriks
    13 years ago

Here are your pictures:

looking into kitchen from family room

• wmjc1965
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Elaine, I love your paint color. What is the color? The fabric on your window treatments is what I was looking for, something with all those colors. Do you know the name of your fabric?

• nevenamabyn
    13 years ago

A brown sofa would work well with a grey on the walls. The trick here to the find the correct grey. I would use a grey with some yellow in it, typically refereed to as French Greys. They range all the way up to the greyish browns as they get darker.

Here is a link that might be useful: furniture stores nyc : furniture stores new york

• loribee
    13 years ago

What about this gold floral pillow?
    It's floral on one side, damask on the other...

If you look on the bottom of that page, it has a chair, throw rug and curtains that will all go together. I think that would look great!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pier one gold floral pillow

• mom2sethc
    13 years ago

Hello wmjc1965,

My wall color is SW White Raisin. I have it throughout 80% of my home and I love it. My fabric is by P kaufmann, it is called Breeze Tapestry. I hope the link below works. If not, just do an internet search on P Kaufmann Breeze Tapestry and you will find it. I saw the fabric in a magazine and fell in love with it. It is beautiful.

http://www.onlinefabricstore.net/drapery-fabric/paisley-drapery-fabric/pkaufmann-breeze-tapestery-fabric-.htm

Elaine

• mom2sethc
    13 years ago

wmjc 1965,

here is another pic of the breeze tapestry fabric, plus a shot of my kitchen which has a coordintating fabric.

Elaine

• wmjc1965
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks for the info on the fabric and paint. I really like that fabric. I like the pillow from Pier one too, I will have to stop in a take a look at that in person.

• tracysave_Aol_com
    12 years ago

Look for Lutron fabric. Exactly the same as pottery barn "simone". Bought at House of Fabric for $19.99 yard. It is beautiful!

• gnieski
    11 years ago

Elaine (mom2sethc)

I am making curtains for my family room and dining room
    using the Breeze Tapestry fabric as one of my fabrics...
    I like the look of the coordinating fabric that you have in your kitchen. I think it would work well in my dining room.
    Can you tell me what it is?

Thanks for your help

• msrose
    11 years ago

srg125 - Your room is the first one that came to mind. I've been dreaming of using Edgecomb Gray ever since I saw it. It would be great if you could post some picture for wmjc to see.